ADVERTISEMENT

So did we finally find the right Coach?

huskerhomie

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2014
I have to say it has been a long long time since we won a conference title, and even that was with a departed coach in Solich. I have been a pretty hard core Husker fan for a while and stuck with them through the thick and thin.

I have to say that I think that for their own separate reasons our last three coaches were just not up to what we needed them to be, and I think it had more to do with "timing" and "situation" than anything else. But I do think that all of them shared a similar trait. They just lacked too many of the things you need in order to be a Championship coach pr championship coaches.

With Solich, that was kind of a TO mistake. Instead of us going out and grabbing a known coach, or a hot shot assistant somewhere (could have probably gotten Stoops, or Urban or someone) but TO appointed, and anointed "His guy". Solich was a great Husker through and through but lacked in some areas that were pretty important in the long haul. Namely recruiting which is the lifes blood of any program. Then because we let him go after 9 wins, the "timing" and "situation" made it hard for us to hire a pretty good quality coach since we fired a 9 win coach. Yes, had we let Solich Go after 7-7, who knows which type of coaches we could have attracted for the Job. So we kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

So then we were kind of "stuck" with our 4th or 5th option in Callahan. So Callahan lacked some important skills, player development, loyal to coaches, losing team confidence etc. But he did have the unenviable job of trying to turn NU into a more modern team with the pass. He was good at the recruiting game, but not a lot beyond that.

So because Callahans D was one of the main reasons he was let go, TO then decided we needed to go for a DC. And as we all know Bo was the guy. Bo also lacked a lot of things that you need in a championship coach which most of us already know.

Now, it seems as if we now have a "real coaching staff" a staff that "seems" that "gets it" not just in a few phases as in recruiting, but not development (ala Callahan) or Scheme, but not recruiting (ala Solich), or Bo, you get what I am trying to say.

I think these guys are going to be good at ENOUGH of the things we NEED them to be, in order to win championships. We know these guys are experienced enough and know how to run programs, we know that are organized, we know that they trim roster fat, we know that they are forward thinkers, we know they are good developers of talent. We know that the HC at least, can beat better teams, or much better teams.

My question to you guys, and my statement: Have we finally found that well rounded enough staff that we have been looking to get for so long? My contention is that YES. I think our staff has the "goods" they are good enough at most of the important things that we as a program "need" in order to bring championships back home to NU. I am not saying it is going to be an overnight success story, but I think they can do it.

So am I the only one that thinks that these guys have "enough" of the good traits (so far) that we need in order to win championships, or have I Officially gone off of my rocker? I mean obviously, we still have not played a game yet, so there are still a lot of questions to be answered....but I think so far, these guys have passed the early tests as far as where I think they can take us.

Am I the only one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News