ADVERTISEMENT

So before Spring Practice begins ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
what do you consider the strongest and the weakest position units to be in 2024?

Dline is absolute strength of this team, followed by DB. We have the talent to make LB, TE, QB, OL, and WR a strength too..... talent only gets you so far.

Nash and Ty were playing all conference level FB and Jimari was really solid. Jeudy and RVP have a year of rotational experience, plus White can use, PWill, Cam and Sherman creatively. That front is the least of my worries.

I'm not expecting instant success on offense.. they have to sort of find their footing, not just the players either, it also means the staff too. I expect it will be a bit rocky to start things off.

When you think about it, you don't really come up with any glaring weaknesses among the units IMO but you do see some strengths like the lines (always critical units). Now that could easily change quickly with injuries but barring those injuries, things do look promising.

• Wow
Reactions: king_kong_
I'm not expecting instant success on offense.. they have to sort of find their footing, not just the players either, it also means the staff too. I expect it will be a bit rocky to start things off.
Can’t be in any more rocky than it was in Boulder, Colorado last year..

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Very surprised people are saying DB is a strength

Who will replace Newsome as a true #1 lockdown corner?

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Very surprised people are saying DB is a strength

Who will replace Newsome as a true #1 lockdown corner?
I am with you here. I wasn’t overly impressed with our CB play. Safeties were good but not great.

How many B1G players or honorable mention do we have returning? There is such a thing as being good across the board, no super stars but no apparent major weaknesses. That is what I am planning on.

When you think about it, you don't really come up with any glaring weaknesses among the units IMO but you do see some strengths like the lines (always critical units). Now that could easily change quickly with injuries but barring those injuries, things do look promising.
this is a 5-7 team that completely fell apart at the seams during the last month of the season you're talking about

the only strength I see is at Nose, and even he went out and dropped 30lbs this offseason

everyone else needs to get significantly better or be replaced by significantly better if we want to get to 10+ wins

this is a 5-7 team that completely fell apart at the seams during the last month of the season you're talking about

the only strength I see is at Nose, and even he went out and dropped 30lbs this offseason

everyone else needs to get significantly better or be replaced by significantly better if we want to get to 10+ wins
Well I think last season is explained this way: Obviously turnovers from the QB position were extremely costly. And there also were a number of injuries to contend with. Even so with those problems a lot of those losses (excluding of course national champion Michigan) were extremely close. Now will the QB position be improved enough? Don't know for sure with the inexperience BUT it is hard to imagine that it could be any worse. And the lines which were very competitive last year have a lot of returning starters. So we'll see but going into Spring practice things are looking up IMO.

Weakest. ILB until we see much better play.

Strength will be both lines.
Exactly how the non-Jack LB positions will be staffed is unclear to me. It seems the D rarely aligned in a true 3-3 look last season. The LBs available for the two spots are Wright, Bullock, Gbayor(?) and Thompson. Wright and Bullock were #2 and #4 in total tackles, Thompson had a couple of good seasons at Cuse and Gbayor got a decent number of snaps as a rotational player. It's a productive group sans eye popping athleticism, although Javin Wright showed great athleticism early in his career, but then suffered injury and then a season ending health scare. Javin has the ability to play at a very high level, especially after a year of breaking into a new position.

Exactly how the non-Jack LB positions will be staffed is unclear to me. It seems the D rarely aligned in a true 3-3 look last season. The LBs available for the two spots are Wright, Bullock, Gbayor(?) and Thompson. Wright and Bullock were #2 and #4 in total tackles, Thompson had a couple of good seasons at Cuse and Gbayor got a decent number of snaps as a rotational player. It's a productive group sans eye popping athleticism, although Javin Wright showed great athleticism early in his career, but then suffered injury and then a season ending health scare. Javin has the ability to play at a very high level, especially after a year of breaking into a new position.
On paper we look good. We got pushed around late in a few games last year. Some of that can be blamed on the offense putting the defense out there too much still.

In order from strongest to weakest.

DL: Absolute strength and we are fortunate to have them.
DB: Enough experience and athleticism to be solid
OL: Experience, coaching, and depth. For once we should be good here. Not great but good.
WR: Out TE's make this group reasonably solid. Can we get production from a group that has young playmakers?
QB: Everything hinges on a freshman.
RB: Lack of durability and production drops this group to the bottom. Could end up being better but the jury is out.
LB: Don't discount the loss of experience. While the outside spot looks solid...The inside is unknown!

OL: Experience, coaching, and depth. For once we should be good here. Not great but good.
WR: Out TE's make this group reasonably solid. Can we get production from a group that has young playmakers?
RB: Lack of durability and production drops this group to the bottom. Could end up being better but the jury is out.
LB: Don't discount the loss of experience. While the outside spot looks solid...The inside is unknown!
Agree with all of that. I think the DB and OL should be a tie.

Reimer and Henrich had injuries. But the stats show that Bullock and Wright were just as productive, albeit in somewhat different ways. Actually, Wright had one of the best stat sheets on the D. Second on the team in tackles, 2 pass deflections, 2 interceptions and 1 forced fumble. The issue might be depth, but Thompson had a couple of productive seasons at Syracuse. Gbayor played a bit last season as well.

Reactions: cavalot

I think at first glance RB might seem to be at the bottom. But the key will be durability/staying injury free. I think the RB position will be helped quite a bit by a better passing game which should take some of the pressure off stacking the box and an even more experienced OL. Also, it's worth noting that rushing offense last year was 2nd in the B1G despite the injuries but yes greatly aided by mobile QBs.

I think at first glance RB might seem to be at the bottom. But the key will be durability/staying injury free. I think the RB position will be helped quite a bit by a better passing game which should take some of the pressure off stacking the box and an even more experienced OL. Also, it's worth noting that rushing offense last year was 2nd in the B1G despite the injuries but yes greatly aided by mobile QBs.
That's assuming that the passing game will indeed be better than it has been. We are putting a lot on the shoulders of a 19 year old kid playing in his first collegiate season.

That's assuming that the passing game will indeed be better than it has been. We are putting a lot on the shoulders of a 19 year old kid playing in his first collegiate season.
True freshman have started at NU and have done well. Had the rest of the team played at Adrian Martinez's level, NU would have made a bowl game his first year. TMart wasn't a true frosh, but basically had a season as a scout team guy before he started and put a torch to a lot of team. Raiola is a an experience kid for his age, has a lot of arm talent and has a good QB coach. He may also have a running game to rely on this year. I'm not worried.

Reactions: dragonraider1
True freshman have started at NU and have done well. Had the rest of the team played at Adrian Martinez's level, NU would have made a bowl game his first year. TMart wasn't a true frosh, but basically had a season as a scout team guy before he started and put a torch to a lot of team. Raiola is a an experience kid for his age, has a lot of arm talent and has a good QB coach. He may also have a running game to rely on this year. I'm not worried.
Both of those guys had the element of running that DR doesn't have. Do not underestimate the ability to scramble and gain yards. Im excited for DR but he will be tested early and often and will have to make plays with his arm that those other guys didn't have to solely depend on.

Well I think last season is explained this way: Obviously turnovers from the QB position were extremely costly. And there also were a number of injuries to contend with. Even so with those problems a lot of those losses (excluding of course national champion Michigan) were extremely close. Now will the QB position be improved enough? Don't know for sure with the inexperience BUT it is hard to imagine that it could be any worse. And the lines which were very competitive last year have a lot of returning starters. So we'll see but going into Spring practice things are looking up IMO.
We're close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT