ADVERTISEMENT

SLC Tribune reader comments to the BYU suspensions

Huskermutant

Blackshirt
Jan 12, 2005
Boring day- gave me some laughs! More player names are speculated in these comments

Mitt Reagan19 hours ago

Is Harvey Langi's helmet suspended?

• Naval_Vet
    Mitt Reagan16 hours ago
    I think it's safe to assume that Koroma, Nacua, and Langi will be among the suspended players. Their roles in that post-bowl brawl were just far too obvious to overlook. I think that what it comes down to now is whether or not mendenmidmajor thinks anybody ELSE could be identified by those outside the program as suspension worthy.

Expect that mendenmidmajor will be suspending as few players as he believes he might be able to get away with.

• reallY
    Naval_Vet19 minutes ago
    Naval,
    Koroma gets a bum deal, at one he was on the ground getting kicked by multiple players and I didn't see anything showing him initiating a fight.

"Expect that mendenmidmajor will be suspending as few players as he believes he might be able to get away with."

Any CFB coach would do the same.

• Naval_Vet
    reallY14 minutes ago
    reallY:

Koroma started the brawl, and the video evidence proved that. Just because he got bested in the fight, that doesn't mean his punishment should be lessened.

And no, not any CFB coach would do the same. That's pretty much reserved for ybU, the SEC, Florida St, and Miami.

• abu1
    18 hours ago
    All this constant need to know. " who was bad.....who was bad....who was bad...."

• goodoldeboy
    17 hours ago
    So BYU is allowing a football player who committed misdemeanor theft to stilattend their school.--Is this not an honor violation...??

• FloydJohnson
    goodoldeboy13 hours ago
    Yes it is an Honor Code violation. A more serious Honor Code violation than not shaving a beard, and a less serious honor code violation than having a child out of wedlock. The one game suspension is consistent with previous penalties for violations of similar magnitude, such as alcohol consumption and getting into fights after football games.
    "Theft" sounds like a major violation, but this was $200 worth of clothing from the athletic department.

• DenverUteFan
    15 hours ago
    I am going to avoid and cheap shots at BYU but it will be interesting to see who is suspended for the first game and if any suspension go longer. Memphis already announced the will be suspending 12 players from 1/2 game to 2 games. Two comments:
    First - seems a bit strange that Memphis suspends 12 players and the speculation is that BYU suspends only half that many.
    Second - if Nacua isn't suspended for for than one game I will lose a lot of respect for both Bronco and te Y program. His actions were deplorable AND captured on national TV. He shouldn't be kicked off the team but a one game suspension would be laughable.

• xert
    DenverUteFan5 hours ago
    I believe that the Memphis coaching staff is simply embarrassed and determined to hold their kids to a higher standard. Any sane person could see that the BYU players were much more responsible for this incident---at least for starting it. When these suspensions are over, I think that it will be clear that Memphis is doing a better job of holding young men responsible. As far as that Nacua kid, having his butt handed to him and being shown on national tv as being an idiot and a clown, should at least count for part of the humiliation and shaming of the suspension. Give him two games.

• Poster724
    15 hours ago
    How do you provide "clues" to those who are detached from reality when it comes to BYU football? Each season begins with Bronco's fantasies, then comes the long, tedious season of failed expectations, and another bid to a meaningless bowl game where Cougars fists are the highlight. Don't kid yourselves zoobs, this season will only be another monotonous, dreary repeat of the previous year...Ad infinitum.

• atlcoug
    Poster7247 hours ago
    Or so you hope, Poster724. You are one of those people who is detached from reality when it comes to BYU football. It was an ugly scene, and anyone who has a sense of reality about BYU football knows that Bronco will not let anyone off the hook who deserves some type of punishment.

• Poster724
    atlcoug7 hours ago
    Of course the full purpose of the BYU honor code is to prevent Swiss cheese from claiming it has more holes in it. Zoobs reality is based upon obsessions, and nothing else.

• BJMoose666
    atlcoug5 hours ago
    A one game suspension for two theft charges brings full meaning to your statement that "Bronco will not let anyone off the hook who deserves some type of punishment." That sure is some type of punishment. Practically meaningless. It would be interesting to see what would happen to a non-athletic student in the same situation. I doubt it would be anywhere near as lenient. I'm sure dismissal from school would be included. But that's the normal honor code, not the athletes version. And having two versions means there is not honor there at all.

• atlcoug
    BJMoose6664 hours ago
    Since you are so sure that the punishment is not severe enough, and other students would be dismissed from school, you must be an official at BYU who is responsible for administering the Honor Code. Otherwise, you are a BYU hater who will draw your own conclusions, based on what you want to believe. I am grateful to have U of U friends who are reasonable in their thinking, though they support their team. Otherwise, I would have to draw my conclusions about all Utah fans from writers like you and Poster724.

People may debate Mendenhall's strengths and weaknesses as a coach, but he has clearly shown that personal accountability of each player is important to him. The fact that he doesn't share everything he says or does with you, regarding the actions he takes with his players, is a strength of his, not a weakness.

• BJMoose666
    atlcoug3 hours ago
    Where in my piece did I mention Utah? What makes you think I am a Utah fan? While I will admit I don't dislike them I actually attend Weber State games and root for the second best division one team in the state, that being Utah State most of all.

• atlcoug
    BJMoose6663 hours ago
    My error in referring to you as a Utah fan. But whether it is Utah, Utah State, or Weber State doesn't matter. I root for all of them when they aren't playing BYU, and I root for Utah State when they are playing Utah. What bothers me about yours, and so many other posts, is that you don't seem to be a fan of another school so much as you are a BYU hater, whose comments are colored with your bias against anything reasonable concerning BYU. I have to get back to work now, so enjoy the rest of your day!

• BJMoose666
    atlcoug2 hours ago
    I will admit my favorite team each week is whoever beats byu. I'll even be rooting for Nebraska who I have disliked intensely since the Bob Devaney era. Only when they play Notre Dame, if they ever do again, do I not take sides. I just hope in that case the wrath of god comes down and creates a giant sink hole that swallows both teams./s You have a good day also.

• Naval_Vet
    BJMoose66623 minutes ago
    BJMoose666:

"A one game suspension for two theft charges brings full meaning to your
    statement that 'Bronco will not let anyone off the hook who deserves
    some type of punishment.'
    "

Hmmm. You bring up a good point there. If a theft charge = a one-game suspension, wouldn't that imply that TWO theft charges = a two-game suspension?

I guess not in WACistan. Down there, the suspension clause is only applicable where mendenmidmajor thinks his feet will be held to the fire. What he thinks he can get away with = zero suspension.

Looks like a certain little someone has signed on for a 2-for-1. Two thefts for only 1 suspension.

EnjoyTheMadness
4 hours ago
I guess a positive of the suspensions is there will be a few starters that are healthy for the second game of the season.

• SteveWarren
    3 hours ago
    What an entertaining saga this has been. BYU has kept the suspensions issue in the news for months by not disclosing who the suspended players are. The speculation and whispering and "clues" have been fun for Ute fans who like to see BYU squirm. It will all culminate when the players names--drum roll--are finally announced: "And the losers are . . . "

• BYUinTucson
    2 hours ago
    I don't think Memphis or BYU should suspend anyone for that weak fight! It was a long time ago.
    There are other ways to punish these boneheads. Make them clean toilets or wash jock straps or
    something. Taking key players out of the game just punishes the fans. People are paying good
    money to watch the best team take the field. Last year our U of A receiver Samaje Grant had two
    touchdowns against AZ St. and that night got a DUI with weed. The next week against Oregon I
    think he was "held out" for the first qtr. or something. The Oregon receiver Carrington had a great game
    against Florida St. and was suspended for Ohio St. That game could of been different with him on the
    field. The team and the Oregon fans deserved to have best players on the field. There has got to be a
    better way to punish these guys.
  • One other person is typing…

• Jay Bird
    an hour ago
    As I say, it never ceases to amaze me how gullible some of our Church members are.

Harold B. Lee, "Admonitions for the Priesthood of God", Ensign, Jan 1973

Reactions: BillyBarry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News