ADVERTISEMENT

Six games in and a few items worth noticing.

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
  • Six games in and we've been out scored 53-38 but we've out hit them 67-64. That's weird.
  • We've been out scored 26-7 in the first three innings but lead 31-27 4th thru 10th innings.
  • Our BA w/ RISP is ~ 100 points below our team average. Horrible stat.
  • We've hit eight home runs in just six games. Last year we hit 22 home runs in 57 games.
  • Jake Meyers is a player. Pretty good pitcher too.

Obviously starting pitching has crippled us badly as the second item points out but we have been respectably good out of the bullpen. Winning the back 2/3 rds of these games does give hope, right?

Average w/RISP. Holy crap that's been a real problem. We are batting .305 as a team but just .221 with runners in scoring position. We can see what that means - It means we are batting much better w/o runners in scoring position... .342. That's all out of balance and it's gonna be fun watching those numbers come back to the mean. This stuff evens out and it needs to b/c...., damn!

Looks like we got some pop for the first time in a while. Good to see.

So, Long Beach State is up next. They are 5-3 with series wins over Holy Cross and ASU plus a 10-1 road win at #14 UCLA. Just lost a midweek game to USC 4-7.

They have not so good hitting (.245) with only three regular batters above .300 but they can pitch. Team ERA 2.14 and have 63 strikeouts with just 12 walks. They're holding opponents to a .195 batting average. Tough test for us.

Really looking forward to this weekend. Howell tomorrow, Burkamper Saturday and Waldron Sunday. Good for Matt.

Good work!

Makes me wonder with Erstad's goal to always hit and run and create situations brings down our actual performance. I don't remember the stat but do remember the radio guys saying we were 0/8 for hit and run opportunities or something like that. Maybe he needs to just let them hit like he did in Sunday's game and see what happens.

As far as pitching I am holding out until Burkamper gets back and since he is willing to give Waldron a shot in the rotation. I do think Howell would be a good Sunday guy but don't think its fair to ask him to be the ace on the staff, that should be Burkamper at this point. Why King is struggling so much is anybody's guess but hopefully he can figure it out because his experience would allow one of the younger guys to pitch in the midweek games and gain experience themselves.

I would like to see I like the lineup with Boldt at leadoff, then Placzek, Miller, and Meyers. We will see if he sticks to that.

A lot of pieces to be excited about but its hard to know if they will put it all together. This is where the coaching will show its true colors this season in my mind. With this talent they should get better throughout the year, no excuses to get worse in my opinion.

Reactions: Nate004
  • Six games in and we've been out scored 53-38 but we've out hit them 67-64. That's weird.
  • We've been out scored 26-7 in the first three innings but lead 31-27 4th thru 10th innings.
  • Our BA w/ RISP is ~ 100 points below our team average. Horrible stat.
  • We've hit eight home runs in just six games. Last year we hit 22 home runs in 57 games.
  • Jake Meyers is a player. Pretty good pitcher too.
Obviously starting pitching has crippled us badly as the second item points out but we have been respectably good out of the bullpen. Winning the back 2/3 rds of these games does give hope, right?

Average w/RISP. Holy crap that's been a real problem. We are batting .305 as a team but just .221 with runners in scoring position. We can see what that means - It means we are batting much better w/o runners in scoring position... .342. That's all out of balance and it's gonna be fun watching those numbers come back to the mean. This stuff evens out and it needs to b/c...., damn!

Looks like we got some pop for the first time in a while. Good to see.

So, Long Beach State is up next. They are 5-3 with series wins over Holy Cross and ASU plus a 10-1 road win at #14 UCLA. Just lost a midweek game to USC 4-7.

They have not so good hitting (.245) with only three regular batters above .300 but they can pitch. Team ERA 2.14 and have 63 strikeouts with just 12 walks. They're holding opponents to a .195 batting average. Tough test for us.

Really looking forward to this weekend. Howell tomorrow, Burkamper Saturday and Waldron Sunday. Good for Matt.

Clearly, bullets #1 and #3 are related. Hits are hits but RBIs are the thing.

This strengthens my take on the team after two weekends: The offense looks pretty good with surprising power. The bullpen is pretty solid. The starting pitching has really struggled. But if it can improve as the season goes along (Burkamper's return should help) this team might be better than anticipated.

Last edited:
Good post OP. I also noticed that in the games we lost we had just as many hits as the team beating us, pretty good sign that once the pitching settles in we can go on a roll

I had a big evaluation of the team after watching all 3 games in San Diego but decided not to post it right now. This team is for sure is not as bad as everyone is making it seem. Lineup is very solid. Meyers is a hell of player and is talking to Erstad every chance he gets. Knutson had all the makings of a stud reliever but everyone knows he struggles with command. Would like to see the lineup like this
Meyers
Placzek
Boldt
Miller
Schreiber
Fish
Dilday
Reveles
Schleppenbach

You want Alvarado and Klemke playing when theres a lefty starting because Dilday and Schleppenbach have no chance hitting lefties there approaches are dreadful against lefties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT