ADVERTISEMENT

Sipple Calling Out Katz...

Driveway Jordan

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2014
God's Country, USA
In is column today:

You might say at this point that I'm irrationally fixated on Andy Katz's low expectations for the Nebraska basketball program.

"Nebraska's never been a basketball powerhouse, and I don't know if they ever will be," the national hoops analyst said last week on BTN. "They'll be a program that, every once in a while, maybe can get in the NCAA Tournament ..."

Make it stop!

Graham Couch, terrific columnist for the Lansing (Michigan) State Journal, expressed a much different viewpoint after covering Michigan State's win Jan. 17 at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

"Penn State, take notice," he wrote. "Or any school that views life through the lens of its football program, but would like to start something in hoops and bring some sizzle to a long winter. Nebraska is how you do it. They’ve made basketball a thing.

"The Huskers haven’t won enough to credit winning for the buzz. They’ve won just enough to keep the community’s interest and to increase expectations. It starts with the arena, Pinnacle Bank, which opened in 2013. It has a glitzy, big-time feel to it while pulling off a cozy vibe. Not easy to do. It helps that it's in the middle of a desirable nightlife and hotel district near downtown.

"I haven’t seen a school with so much football tradition and emphasis — and so little relevant basketball history — do hoops this well. There’s a reason Tim Miles is on the hot seat. You can win here now. You should win here."

Preach on, amigo. Preach on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News