ADVERTISEMENT

Single Digit Jerseys

Second year for the defense and last year's auditioning of a lot of players has built good depth. Offensively, the addition of Mazzucca, Railoa, Barney, Nelson, Neyor and Banks brings a clear upgrade in talent. Veteran Oline that is servicable and this is also true of the RBs. There is enough there for Rhule, Satt and Raiola to work with.
I'm hopeful this is the year NU overcomes the stigma of losing,
Of those players you mention here, Raiola, Barney, Carter and Neyor who didn't play much at Texas, the others come from losing programs.

I'm already on the record of saying I feel the D can be a total bitch. If and when the NU offense quits shooting themselves in the foot, NU can make some noise.

Now we have to get the kicking game and overall ST's to play at a higher than average level.

A lot new pieces have been added to make one think this team can be tough to deal with.

The last piece is the in-game decisions that can make or break a game/season.
Last year left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: huskers360
Of those players you mention here, Raiola, Barney, Carter and Neyor who didn't play much at Texas, the others come from losing programs.

I'm already on the record of saying I feel the D can be a total bitch. If and when the NU offense quits shooting themselves in the foot, NU can make some noise.

Now we have to get the kicking game and overall ST's to play at a higher than average level.

A lot new pieces have been added to make one think this team can be tough to deal with.

Neyor blew a knee out at TX, but his Wyoming film shows a guy who can run like a deer in the open field. At 6-4/220, he's a big kid who will be a headache for opposing DBs. Banks is also a big fella. Lots of big at the WR position and lots of speed.

Wake Forest's record when Banks was there was 33-16
Baylor and Florida combined for a 26-18 record while Micah Mazzccua was on those teams.

I believe they both have been to 2 bowl games a piece.

Wake Forest's record when Banks was there was 33-16
Baylor and Florida combined for a 26-18 record while Micah Mazzccua was on those teams.

I believe they both have been to 2 bowl games a piece.
Okay, well LAST YEAR Wake was 4-8 and Florida was 5-7, so they both came from losing teams.
Is that better?????

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
Thats's cool, we'll play gotcha this year.
Your point appeared to be that those transfers mentioned didn’t bring anything to the table as far as getting over the hump because they came from “programs” that didn’t win. The fact that both players have played in multiple bowl games sort of dispels that theory.

I’m not playing gotcha. I was calling out a poor take is all.

Your point appeared to be that those transfers mentioned didn’t bring anything to the table as far as getting over the hump because they came from “programs” that didn’t win. The fact that both players have played in multiple bowl games sort of dispels that theory.

I’m not playing gotcha. I was calling out a poor take is all.
Fair enough but NU has had Wynn from BAMA, Sherman, Gilbert and Hood from GA, Thompson and Washington from TX, all top programs in big bowl games, and yet, it still didn't matter. 4 of these 6 examples were all major contributors, yet none of them were able to bring that winning tradition with them.

At some point, the winning will return and it probably starts with NU being 2-0 this year. I still believe the Colorado game where they ran up 62 points on NU, and we followed that by getting drubbed by Miami started this programs long term decline. That's the last time NU was relevant nationally. Here we are, 5 head coaches later.

Off the point here, but I'm interested to see if that 63-3 ass whipping that Florida State suffered last year against Georgia has any long term lasting effect. I'm curious more than anything.

Last edited:
That's the last time NU was relevant nationally.
Oh boy, here we go again. Nebraska was relevant nationally under Pelini. I guess "relevant nationally" can mean different things to different people, but come on. We were ranked a LOT under Pelini, had guys getting drafted, and played in big games. Nebraska won 71% of their games and had 4 bowl wins under Pelini. I hated the guy but we were relevant. They were frustrating years because we were RIGHT THERE and couldn't get over the hump.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Oh boy, here we go again. Nebraska was relevant nationally under Pelini. I guess "relevant nationally" can mean different things to different people, but come on. We were ranked a LOT under Pelini, had guys getting drafted, and played in big games. Nebraska won 71% of their games and had 4 bowl wins under Pelini. I hated the guy but we were relevant. They were frustrating years because we were RIGHT THERE and couldn't get over the hump.
First of all, I didn't hate Pelini. I hated the way he acted. Had he been able to keep his cool,
impossible of course, NU could have enjoyed more success.

Not that it matters, I've felt over the many years, anytime NU finished the season in the Top 10 they had had a good year even if they lost 3 times. When they finished in the Top 5 I felt they had a great year. We all know, to win it all, a lot of special shit has to happen along the way.

Rhule does have a chance to return NU to prominence because he starts on the defensive side of the ball. Now that NU has a potential difference maker at QB, we still need that elite back, kicker and 1-2 studs on the offensive line. They're out there, NU just has to start the process of creating some national attention by winning 8-9 games this year.

Then Rhule gets to make the tough decisions, i.e. is Foley good enough as a ST coach? Is McGwire good enough as a WR coach? Is Barthel good enough as a RB coach? At the end of the day, to play with the big dogs like OSU and even USC offensively, NU is gonna have to put some points on the board cause you're not gonna beat those teams strictly playing defense. Not so much wanting to bounce these guys/friends of Rhule, but the money thrown at the program demands results.

With 17/18 returning starters and now a potentially elite QB, a lot of pieces are in place. The big issue remains learning HOW to win. It starts with clobbering UTEP and hopefully continues with grinding CU into the ground physically in the 4th quarter. At that point, the team will start to believe in themselves.

I think NU can win this year, I think many of our fans feel the same, the question is does the team actually believe they will win? Beating a team that believes they are going to win is a difficult task on most Saturdays. I'd like to see a return to that level of determination.

Last edited:
When you battle through the pain it makes you appreciate the winning that much more!
I was fortunate to watch NU beat both LSU and Bama for back to back national titles in the early 70's. I was ecstatic when NU finally beat OU in 1978 after having been beaten 6 straight years. I loved the Huskers beating Miami (Fla) in Lincoln after they had been drubbing us and rubbing our nose it in.

Next up, we have Colorado, Wisconsin and Iowa. In a perfect world, NU beats all three and then it could be onward and upward. To rise to prominence, NU has to vanquish these teams that they haven't been able to, and should have beaten on occassion, over the last many years.

Yep. If you go listen to the Kansas St game where Taylor ran wild, they were talking about NU as a title contender. If Taylor Martinez doesn't get hurt they could have had an outside shot. Guarantee they would have beat OU with a full speed T-Magic.

BP's problem was that his unhinged sideline antics made news and pissed off administrators, thus making his position tenuous. He also wasn't a fan of recruiting, and talent levels were dipping at the end of his tenure. That he was bit of a sideline loon couldn't have helped with parents. And from I heard, Eichorst et al. were not keen on giving him additional resources to recruit, given that they knew he hated them. However, his coaching staff was better than that of Riley and Frost.
Believers in karma might say that after a school cans two coaches that won 75% and 71% of their games, experiencing multiple losing seasons under coaches that can't find their ass with both hands is simply payback from the lords of karma.

BP's problem was that his unhinged sideline antics made news and pissed off administrators, thus making his position tenuous. He also wasn't a fan of recruiting, and talent levels were dipping at the end of his tenure. That he was bit of a sideline loon couldn't have helped with parents. And from I heard, Eichorst et al. were not keen on giving him additional resources to recruit, given that they knew he hated them. However, his coaching staff was better than that of Riley and Frost.
Believers in karma might say that after a school cans two coaches that won 75% and 71% of their games, experiencing multiple losing seasons under coaches that can't find their ass with both hands is simply payback from the lords of karma.
Yep, agree with everything you said. My issue with Pelini is that the brand was still good enough when he was hired that we could've hired someone without all the baggage and won maybe even more than he did. But you're right, the admin was a mess.

Yep, agree with everything you said. My issue with Pelini is that the brand was still good enough when he was hired that we could've hired someone without all the baggage and won maybe even more than he did. But you're right, the admin was a mess.
Grobe and Gill were the others considered and they turned out to be underwhelming alternatives. TO liked Bo because he knew Bo could get the D turned around and the O was in pretty decent hands with Watson, who had Ganz to operate his offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT