ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: New transfer rules

rules-norules.gif

A few of you know this already, but for those who don't, I spent over two decades working in college athletics. While not wild about some of the recent changes, I can see the reasoning. For example, it's the players who generate all the dollars, not the million dollar AD or ten million dollar coach, so the.kids should share in the revenue. Any chemistry major can transfer to another school without some sort of penalty, so why should another student be penalized by sitting out just because he can throw a football?

But this one I cannot get on board with. Criticize the NCAA all you want, and there are plenty of reasons to do so, but one thing that should never be compromised are the academic progress rules. Dang it, less than two percent of these kids will ever sniff a professional paycheck. They need an education. They won't get one transferring every year or three times in four years, inevitably losing credits along the way. Nothing in any of the articles I have read suggests that the rules regarding "progress towards degree" are any part of the equation.

And if they can transfer every year, why not every semester? Hell, why not each quarter of the semester or every week?

This has gotten way out of hand. It is not good for the "student" part of student-athletes.

A few of you know this already, but for those who don't, I spent over two decades working in college athletics. While not wild about some of the recent changes, I can see the reasoning. For example, it's the players who generate all the dollars, not the million dollar AD or ten million dollar coach, so the.kids should share in the revenue. Any chemistry major can transfer to another school without some sort of penalty, so why should another student be penalized by sitting out just because he can throw a football?

But this one I cannot get on board with. Criticize the NCAA all you want, and there are plenty of reasons to do so, but one thing that should never be compromised are the academic progress rules. Dang it, less than two percent of these kids will ever sniff a professional paycheck. They need an education. They won't get one transferring every year or three times in four years, inevitably losing credits along the way. Nothing in any of the articles I have read suggests that the rules regarding "progress towards degree" are any part of the equation.

And if they can transfer every year, why not every semester? Hell, why not each quarter of the semester or every week?

This has gotten way out of hand. It is not good for the "student" part of student-athletes.
Yeah all the rule makers have just gone brain dead. They've created a shitshow and the product will inevitably get worse. With 30-40 guys going in and out every year, I'm finding it much harder to care about recruiting or who the guys are on the roster.

I just had this discussion with my wife who is now the academic dean for a college. It used to be very difficult to transfer from an academic standpoint. It made it difficult to graduate if you transferred because often credits wouldn’t transfer and most schools had rules that you had to do your last 2 years of coursework at their school to get a degree.

Each group has their own wants and desires. The antitrust people want everyone to be completely free agents who can act on their own behalf at any time with few constraints.

The NCAA wants some form of control so they have a recognizable product to sell to consumers and yet be able to maintain a bit of amateur status. Loyalty to teams and schools is important to many.

The student/athlete if you can call them that want what others have - the big bucks, fame and their name in lights everywhere. My guess is too many perceive it’s just their current school, team and coaches who are holding them back from their dreams. So move on to find that holy grail.

The kongs of this world want it all. Top product, big bucks for the players and schools, few if any regulations. All of this collides into an abyss of mediocrity and out of control spending. Soon you will see high school kids getting millions on a regular basis but yet have still others complain that a CEO of a multinational company makes their millions building a company.

Tell me how this all ends well? The goal used to be to make it to the NFL and strike it rich. My daughter provides marketing services to various athletes all across the country who have yet to play a down but are taking in millions already.

If you are a traditionalist, this party ain’t for you.

Reactions: huskerj12

The free education, meals, world class training, housing, private tutors, lounges, stipends, clothes, etc that they receive is their "share in the revenue."

Let them transfer. It was meant to try to level competition but it wasn't fair. But the share the revenue argument is beyond dumb.

It's confusing as to how these new transfer rules will combine with the revenue sharing plan. For example, would revenue sharing involve a signed contract for players with the school like a salary in the NFL? Would that signed contract bind them to the school for a period of time in order to be paid? Don't know the answers as it's becoming a totally different world for college football.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I am losing all desire to watch any college football. The product is going to suffer, no continuity, the team concept is dead, and it will take 4-5 weeks for players to develop as a team due to the constant roster change. Ask the smaller conferences how long it takes to gel every year.

Top players will be the best paid whores in the country. If you want my sh!t, you will need to pay top dollar to smell it.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerj12
The rule changes on the field are what concern me. I don't care if the players get paid or transfer.

But they are making this game so bland with all the on-field rule changes. Why even tackle in football? They should just go to two hand touch.

I remember when you couldn't even grab a jersey as a lineman. Now you can practically strip, dryclean, and fold the jersey of the guy in front of you anymore.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I just had this discussion with my wife who is now the academic dean for a college. It used to be very difficult to transfer from an academic standpoint. It made it difficult to graduate if you transferred because often credits wouldn’t transfer and most schools had rules that you had to do your last 2 years of coursework at their school to get a degree.
Last year of coursework at my school.

The rule changes on the field are what concern me. I don't care if the players get paid or transfer.

But they are making this game so bland with all the on-field rule changes. Why even tackle in football? They should just go to two hand touch.

I remember when you couldn't even grab a jersey as a lineman. Now you can practically strip, dryclean, and fold the jersey of the guy in front of you anymore.
Unless you're a Husker o lineman

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT