ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Independent review of AD leadership and culture

Seems like one of those things that could mean nothing at all. A business guy got a business idea in his head that a consulting firm should make a bunch of money to tell them how they're doing by asking their own people how they're doing. You know, standard Dilbert stuff.

The report should be roughly this:

pkPTMXO.gif

Anybody with half a brain knows what this is about....
I disagree with you and agree with Beav. In my workplace every few years, especially after turnover in top leadership someone was hired to come through and do an evaluation like this, then things were "made better" by paying someone else to implement "fixes". Over the years we have been through training for: generic management, total quality management, total quality leadership, the Deming methods, Lean Six Sigma, high performance organization, etc. In all cases, no one was "in trouble", just an honest attempt by our leadership to make things better (and yes, some claimed the attempts were Dilbertish).

Bottom line is that most or all of us don't know what's behind this. I would say that there seems to be a strong possibility that this is laying the groundwork for Eichorst's removal. Maybe if the feedback is positive, it gives him confidence. But I don't believe the Athletic Department being chosen first should be taken lightly.

Bottom line is that most or all of us don't know what's behind this. I would say that there seems to be a strong possibility that this is laying the groundwork for Eichorst's removal. Maybe if the feedback is positive, it gives him confidence. But I don't believe the Athletic Department being chosen first should be taken lightly.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much, if not more to do with the "stranger than fiction" personalities that recently left town and trying to make sure everything has gotten back to professionalism and a normal workplace where we all understand that it's frowned upon to use slang for female genitalia when describing your boss.

I disagree with you and agree with Beav. In my workplace every few years, especially after turnover in top leadership someone was hired to come through and do an evaluation like this, then things were "made better" by paying someone else to implement "fixes". Over the years we have been through training for: generic management, total quality management, total quality leadership, the Deming methods, Lean Six Sigma, high performance organization, etc. In all cases, no one was "in trouble", just an honest attempt by our leadership to make things better (and yes, some claimed the attempts were Dilbertish).

And where exactly is this "independent" firm located that's looking into this?

There are huge cultural issues going on in the A.D. right now. I have heard this first hand from several who work there. A lot of this has to do with the structure now, how things are communicated and managed, and SE's personality etc. That's what likely prompted this review. Evidently, SE's behavior has changed somewhat dramatically since the review has started. Not surprising for many to hear this I am sure. Bounds is a smart man who understands the importance athletics brings to a University. FYI....I am not an SE hater. Just sharing what know.

Reactions: redcol
There are huge cultural issues going on in the A.D. right now. I have heard this first hand from several who work there. A lot of this has to do with the structure now, how things are communicated and managed, and SE's personality etc. That's what likely prompted this review. Evidently, SE's behavior has changed somewhat dramatically since the review has started. Not surprising for many to hear this I am sure. Bounds is a smart man who understands the importance athletics brings to a University. FYI....I am not an SE hater. Just sharing what know.
Lol. Nice try re-tread.

Reactions: bigboxes

Complete BS.......

Apparently some people would rather work at McDonalds than work with some of the people SE surrounds himself with.. Not sure if true or not, maybe it will be in the final report.

People should basically just ignore this. It's just a formality of bringing a new president and a new chancellor on board. They just want to make sure there is no hidden baggage that they are inheriting. Standard operating practice, nothing out of the ordinary here. And yes, it will also extend to other areas beyond athletics but of course people on this board only care about athletics.

People should basically just ignore this. It's just a formality of bringing a new president and a new chancellor on board. They just want to make sure there is no hidden baggage that they are inheriting. Standard operating practice, nothing out of the ordinary here. And yes, it will also extend to other areas beyond athletics but of course people on this board only care about athletics.

I agree. People are reading too much into this. Eichorst's future will entirely depend on the success of our football program over the next couple years.

Pretty much.

I agree. People are reading too much into this. Eichorst's future will entirely depend on the success of our football program over the next couple years.

Or his next hire outside the football program if it comes to that point.

The Regents trying to control the football program is so awesome. I kind of want that to be true in a way.

In the case of upper management at a company or a board of directors, this kind of thing is done to arm the decision that has already been made. It's like an insurance policy to back your next action. You can say, hey, we did a study, and the study said XYZ, so now they have their butt covered to do ABC. You go to a 'third party' and tell them you want a study done, and what the results should be and then negotiate the price.

Since this is University ordered, I assume a simple request for records will be easy to get after the University gets the report.

Ehhhh...I'm certainly not an energy bus kind of guy and find that whole notion a bit wanky but it seems like Red is trying to make things positive around the Athletic Department. If I worked there I would be OK with that culture just as long as I wasn't forced to be on the energy bus.

Ehhhh...I'm certainly not an energy bus kind of guy and find that whole notion a bit wanky but it seems like Red is trying to make things positive around the Athletic Department. If I worked there I would be OK with that culture just as long as I wasn't forced to be on the energy bus.
Seems the Athletic Department was pretty positive before he arrived.

Seems the Athletic Department was pretty positive before he arrived.
I know one low level guy who worked with both Pedey and Tom. He said it was just weird with Stevo but felt like Tom shot straight with everyone. He left for another job a bit before Tom (ahem...) resigned. He said he met Shawn and had a good feel about him...so who knows.

Reactions: dinglefritz
still feels like divided camps.

regardless of how normal it feels to some, perception is everything.

I remember an article last year saying that Eichorst would assign self-help books for all the coaches to read, and that the number of books he assigned was more than the number of times he actually visited with the coaches.

I'm sure he has good intentions, but I think D-I coaches have enough on their plates without having to do book reports. There are many more effective ways to establish a positive culture in the workplace.

I remember an article last year saying that Eichorst would assign self-help books for all the coaches to read, and that the number of books he assigned was more than the number of times he actually visited with the coaches.

I'm sure he has good intentions, but I think D-I coaches have enough on their plates without having to do book reports. There are many more effective ways to establish a positive culture in the workplace.
Wouldnt they have to meet to discuss their book reports? So how could the number of books be more than the number of times he visited with the coaches?

What a joke of a post.
Back to being drunk Harry Caray.

Wouldnt they have to meet to discuss their book reports? So how could the number of books be more than the number of times he visited with the coaches?

What a joke of a post.
Back to being drunk Harry Caray.

Don't shoot the messenger

"Eichorst told us in August that he has strong relationships with his head coaches. That is counter to what coaches have told me and many others. Some say they can’t directly get a meeting with him. One said the number of books Eichorst has assigned coaches to read has outnumbered his in-person visits to that sport."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...cle_7f54b0b1-173d-5c82-9e86-f9c3cb73b07b.html

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Don't shoot the messenger

"Eichorst told us in August that he has strong relationships with his head coaches. That is counter to what coaches have told me and many others. Some say they can’t directly get a meeting with him. One said the number of books Eichorst has assigned coaches to read has outnumbered his in-person visits to that sport."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...cle_7f54b0b1-173d-5c82-9e86-f9c3cb73b07b.html
Don't you think prior to November of 2014 (when the article was written) that indeed there needed to be some self-improvement literature read by a few of our coaches? Pulling an article from 2014 that supposedly quoted some of Bo's staff versus what Riley's staff might say now is BS. At the time that article was written, I can guarantee you that Bo's fate had already been decided. Meeting with any of his staff would have been pointless. Kudos to SE for at least attempting to present the coaching staff with material to improve their images and careers. They obviously chose to ignore it.

Last edited:
Don't you think prior to November of 2014 (when the article was written) that indeed there needed to be some self-improvement literature read by a few of our coaches? Pulling an article from 2014 that supposedly quoted some of Bo's staff versus what Riley's staff might say now is BS. At the time that article was written, I can guarantee you that Bo's fate had already been decided. Meeting with any of his staff would have been pointless. Kudos to SE for at least attempting to present the coaching staff with material to improve their images and careers. They obviously chose to ignore it.
It said "head coaches." This wasn't only about football.

Correct, and Eichorst had been the A.D. for over 2 full years when that article was written.

So over those 2 years, he barely spoke to some coaches but gave them books to read instead. That's a very odd leadership style. If I had a new boss like that, I'd probably start checking the classifieds.

Yes. I have that info.
You didn't answer my second question. You don't really strike me as a computer wiz. And unless you are a moderator, that information isn't freely available.

If what you say is true, it would explain why you're able to keep posting after violating many, many board rules.

Reactions: 4HisGlory1
The things we argue over... look, this is just one group covering their butt over another. In the end, it will come down to wins & losses in the football program. We are a blue blood football school. I love the direction that Riley and staff have us heading. However, let's not kid ourselves, it's all about wins and losses. If Riley turns the corner and has improvement in the wins department then the heat will be dialed down on Eichhorst. It's that simple. You can't make real decisions without putting your butt (job) on the line. HCMR has done everything you could want as a head coach except win. Rectify the win count and SE's job is safe. Have another losing/mediocre season and SE will be set up for the fall. Why read anything into it more than that?

Reactions: wcbrooks
Thanks for the clarification. I missed "head" coaches. So which unnamed head coaches did Barfie interview besides Bo? Methinks perhaps Barfie took some editorial liberty using "coaches" instead of coach in his article. I find it VERY hard to believe that anybody other than Bo couldn't get in to see SE. If Barfie wants me to believe there were multiple head coaches that couldn't get in to see SE then he needs to name names. It seems pretty apparent that at least Miles and SE get along just fine.

Thanks for the clarification. I missed "head" coaches. So which unnamed head coaches did Barfie interview besides Bo? Methinks perhaps Barfie took some editorial liberty using "coaches" instead of coach in his article. I find it VERY hard to believe that anybody other than Bo couldn't get in to see SE. If Barfie wants me to believe there were multiple head coaches that couldn't get in to see SE then he needs to name names. It seems pretty apparent that at least Miles and SE get along just fine.
No idea who these others are. I am doubtful Barfy just made it up to write a hatchet job before Shawn had done something monumental one way or another...like hire a coach. Some probably felt that way then. Are there coaches still feeling this way is the question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT