ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP husker fan in Iowa experience

HuskerGarrett

Administrator
Aug 12, 2016
Colorado
Felt the need to share, saw this on Facebook. Stay classy Iowa

***From a friend that attended the Nebraska/Iowa Game on Friday.

While I debated saying anything...I have decided to express my opinion and see if what I am feeling is abnormal or if anyone has any thoughts...
So yesterday was my first away game, and while I always attended the spring game, until this season I hadn't made an actual game in Memorial Stadium. So we got up early, piled into a packed van and traveled over five hours to attend the game. When we parked, and walked to the bus to the stadium there were a few tailgaters and while one group was nice and even took a picture of our group, I noticed most scowled at us. Now while it was cold out, and there were only maybe five groups tailgating I still found it odd. Then we get to the stadium, and my first thought from the outside was wow! This looks like a high school stadium, like no bigger than Seacrest Field. Turned out to be a little bigger on the inside, but not by much. All their season tickets holders get padded seats that are actually bolted in which was nice for them...more on that later. So we're there early, watching the boys warm up, and when they run onto the field they are booed. I actually flinched the first time, thinking what the heck? I've never heard anyone but a ref being booed at OUR stadium. Not once. So the stadium starts filling and we're stuck between two sets of season ticket holders. Six seats squashed between the bolted seats. The season ticket holders show up and we can only fit four people in our seats. We asked what they normally do in this case and our answer was and I quote "I don't give a **** what you do, how is this OUR problem". So that's how it started. So we sat on each other laps and two of us stood sideways for the first three quarters until some people left above us which allowed some of us to move. We had spent $8 a piece on padded seats which we weren't able to use and we got those back from the people leaving. But the whole game we got scowled at because two of us had to stand the whole time.
When our players came on the field, they were booed. When out flag wavers came on the field, they were booed. When our cheerleaders came on, they were booed. Nebraska fans were booed the whole game. We were told to go the **** home, or when we chanted go big red they would throw food. Flip us off. During one kick, our punter accidentally kicked it into the stands and the response from the jerk in front of us..."just because your kid got killed, that's the best you can get?" Yeah you heard me right. Then the ride back to the car...were told to get out of there house...go the **** home. My friend was congratulating people on a great win...most of the time not even a response. Sometimes responses I won't even repeat. We go into a McDonalds before heading home, and just because of our Husker gear one of us had a tray throw at them by a manager of the place. I mean even outside of the stadium this crap continued. Now I've heard they just play with passion...that they're fans are just passionate. So is what I'm hearing is our team doesn't? That me as a huge fan who will go through what I did in order to see them play yesterday...is not passionate about my boys? I guess I just don't get it. Our stadium is twice that size....we don't boo our guests, we cheer them on...and if we should fail and loose our game, we thank them for traveling and tell them to enjoy our fine city, and hope they come back next year. That's just what happens in OUR house. I've never felt so disrespected in my life...and as calm natured as I am I couldn't keep my mouth shut and after the Foltz comment even told one guy he was a douchebag and should be ashamed of himself. Then I felt bad for sinking to their level but I had had it!
Now my friend Wade sat in a different section, and he had a blast screwing with the people in his section, but hey maybe that's just Wade. I don't know...being cussed at, thrown food and trays, pushed, booed. I just don't find any bit of that acceptable. So what are your thoughts? Is it just Iowa? Is it like this at all away games? Now I understand why players, and staff, and guests gush on and on about Nebraska. Why were known for the best fans in college football. Why people come back every time there team plays in Lincoln. Why they go party afterwords, and swing dance with people wearing different colors. NOW I get it folks. And I can tell you this...I have NEVER been more proud to be from this fine state. To say I'm a Husker! To say I bleed red. Go Big Red!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News