ADVERTISEMENT

Should I leave?

My job in Iowa ends on June 30. How quickly should I bolt?

who-are-you-confused.gif

9and4 Best of luck to you what ever you decide..

It’s best to sleep on it a few nights and not hurry your decision..

Reactions: 9and4
Out of curiosity, what is it you do? Can't you find something in Omaha?
I run a journalism nonprofit housed at the University of Iowa, where I've also taught sports writing (my former profession) for the past five years. We're being acquired by a larger nonprofit at the University of Minnesota. I also am a finalist for a position at the College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.

I've also been on the journalism faculties at CSU, CU-Boulder and Kansas.

At 60, I don't need to work if I'm satisfied with a modest retirement. Either way, my days in the Crapids/Iowa Shitty corridor are numbered. Thankfully.

I run a journalism nonprofit housed at the University of Iowa, where I've also taught sports writing (my former profession) for the past five years. We're being acquired by a larger nonprofit at the University of Minnesota. I also am a finalist for a position at the College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.

At 60, I don't need to work if I'm satisfied with a modest retirement. Either way, my days in the Crapids/Iowa Shitty corridor are numbered. Thankfully.
Want me to put in a good word for you at Maryland? I have a connection there, but not in the journalism area.

Maryland is a long way from Iowa.
And you are getting a little long in the tooth.

Want me to put in a good word for you at Maryland? I have a connection there, but not in the journalism area.

Maryland is a long way from Iowa.
And you are getting a little long in the tooth.
My wife is a Marylander, and many of her family members graduated from College Park. Plus, we got married in Maryland and had our rehearsal party at an O's game during the last season at Memorial Stadium in Balto. Our best friends in the world are in Hampden, hon.

Long in the tooth? I challenge you to a sprint triathlon, Mr. 1-2-3! Then we'll see how long one's teeth are! Huzzah!

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
My wife is a Marylander, and many of her family members graduated from College Park. Plus, we got married in Maryland and had our rehearsal party at an O's game during the last season at Memorial Stadium in Balto. Our best friends in the world are in Hampden, hon.

Long in the tooth? I challenge you to a sprint triathlon, Mr. 1-2-3! Then we'll see how long one's teeth are! Huzzah!
Figured you were an Iowegian. I do object to being call hon. LOL

As far as the sprint triathlon, that could be interesting. I was really fast about 50 years ago, but have lost multiple steps since that time, and may have even lost a couple of steps in the last year.

I'm a betting man, and the smart money says I blow an Achilles within 3 steps out of my explosive start. As easy as 1-2-3, a blown Achilles for me. You really want to be plagued as the man who caused me all that pain?

In case you didn't know, Maryland is an even worse football program than dear old Nebraska U. How Locksley ever got the job is beyond me.

Reactions: 9and4
Figured you were an Iowegian. I do object to being call hon. LOL

As far as the sprint triathlon, that could be interesting. I was really fast about 50 years ago, but have lost multiple steps since that time, and may have even lost a couple of steps in the last year.

I'm a betting man, and the smart money says I blow an Achilles within 3 steps out of my explosive start. As easy as 1-2-3, a blown Achilles for me. You really want to be plagued as the man who caused me all that pain?

In case you didn't know, Maryland is an even worse football program than dear old Nebraska U. How Locksley ever got the job is beyond me.
When I travel, the most difficult question I have to answer is "Where are you from?"

My answer: "I LIVE in Iowa, but I'm from Nebraska and have spent most of my adult life in Colorado."
My wife's answer to if she's from Iowa? "Oh, god no. Please. I'm from Maryland."

Then there's the inevitable, "Well isn't Nebraska exactly like Iowa?"

FFS.

Sports aside, Iowa City is probably one of the nicest places to live in the Midwest for a small metro. Great nightlife, amazing arts, decent dining and entertainment. Probably most important, tons of money flowing through that small population. Cedar Rapids is pure ass, though.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaFansAreBuffoons
Sports aside, Iowa City is probably one of the nicest places to live in the Midwest for a small metro. Great nightlife, amazing arts, decent dining and entertainment. Probably most important, tons of money flowing through that small population. Cedar Rapids is pure ass, though.
Places I've lived, ranked:
1. Fort Lauderdale
2. Fort Collins
3. Lawrence, Kansas
4. Boulder
5. Denver
6. Lincoln
7. Gainesville
8. Iowa City
9. Bergen County, N.J.

That doesn't make Iowa City bad, but it's a pretty bland place with a few notable exceptions — the Englert, the Hancher, Prairie Lights, Rapid Creek Cidery, George's and Big Grove.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT