ADVERTISEMENT

Sharp Shooter Trevor Lakes N

Please, please, please, please don't let him be another Kavas.

Yeah, the skeptic in me remembers that Drake Beranek was one of the best outside shooters in D-II and then came here and shot 30% and was a non-factor.

The optimist in me says that with a year of development under Hoiberg, he could become the next Kyle Korver or Matt Thomas.

Yeah, the skeptic in me remembers that Drake Beranek was one of the best outside shooters in D-II and then came here and shot 30% and was a non-factor.

The optimist in me says that with a year of development under Hoiberg, he could become the next Kyle Korver or Matt Thomas.
I'm hoping that Fred believes the latter more than the former since he's willing to invest an entire sit-out year on him. What I'm really interested to read in some of these articles is how much they believe/hope that he'll be our only sit-out transfer next season. McGowens and King getting waivers would be huge!

I'm hoping that Fred believes the latter more than the former since he's willing to invest an entire sit-out year on him. What I'm really interested to read in some of these articles is how much they believe/hope that he'll be our only sit-out transfer next season. McGowens and King getting waivers would be huge!
King’s waiver shouldn’t even have to stop on anyone’s desk before being approved. If it is not, it would be more than just another run of the mill ncaa head-up-its-ass botch job.

As much as I love Drake, and the entire Beranek family, he wasn’t a D1 athlete. Nice to see him take his shot, but it just wasn’t meant to be. The Beranek family will always mean a lot to Nebraska sports, they just didn’t have the genetics to make it bigger. Great people.

This sharpshooter in a pair of DI games and his conference semi-final to finish the season ...

vs Xavier was 1/8 from 3
vs Butler 3/11
vs Truman in conference semifinal (last game of year) he was 2/11

That's 6/30 from 3.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
This sharpshooter in a pair of DI games and his conference semi-final to finish the season ...

vs Xavier was 1/8 from 3
vs Butler 3/11
vs Truman in conference semifinal (last game of year) he was 2/11

That's 6/30 from 3.
you can cherry pick numbers from just about any perimeter player in college basketball. Nobody is on every night and IF you're your teams main weapon it gets very tough against good perimeter defenders.

Why did you leave out his game vs Loyola Chicago?

Good catch, throw that 6/11 in ... and throw in 0/4 in the conference tournament first round while at it... so 5 games vs DI teams and conference tournament and you get 12/45 or .266. For comparison, Jervay was .284 and Cross .276.

Jervay was a 40% three point shooter at WNCC.

Steph Curry was once 0/10 from 3 in a game. Kid looks like he has a nice stroke. Little slow on the release, but hopefully he will be shooting a lot of open 3's. As dingle mentioned, he will not be the main focus of our opponents' schemes. He is gonna be in the corner waiting for that dish after dribble penetration.

Steve Kerr and John Paxton were lights-out 3-point shooters, but they only shot near 50% from 3 because of a guy named MJ.

What is the turnover rate for the last 18 months on the basketball team, 50, 60, 80%? Its freaking ridiculous the revolving door at Nebraska basketball.
it's way higher than 80%, considering there's one lone player still here from 18 months ago

whether or not it's 'freaking ridiculous' probably depends on how much value you put in those who've left versus those who've joined.

I'd say it's about freaking time someone tried to build a winner here.

Good catch, throw that 6/11 in ... and throw in 0/4 in the conference tournament first round while at it... so 5 games vs DI teams and conference tournament and you get 12/45 or .266. For comparison, Jervay was .284 and Cross .276.

It’s settled then. The kid will be worthless. Thanks for bringing it to everyone’s attention. Looking forward to your future posts patting yourself on the back for being right.

You know, there’s a few ways to approach things like this. You can talk shit on this kid claiming he won’t amount to anything, which is the route you took. You could say nothing if you’re not convinced, which you should have done. Or you could be happy that a kid decided to take a chance on what has been a historically shit basketball program. I’ll take option 3.

And the four games before his conference tournament he went 22 for 43 from beyond the arc.

Anybody can cherry pick stats. Not sure why you are only going off a few games of his and comparing it to others full season body of work. Sure, the competition will be much stiffer now. We don’t need him to shoot 50 percent from 3. We just need him to be a threat on the offensive end.

I've seen Drake Beranek's name has been brought up a couple times as a player who kind of failed by moving up. We also got Andrew Drevo at one time and he averaged double figures during his time here after transferring from Morningside. There's no guarantee that Lakes will or won't be successful here, but I think I would compare Lakes more to Drevo than Beranek.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
As much as I love Drake, and the entire Beranek family, he wasn’t a D1 athlete. Nice to see him take his shot, but it just wasn’t meant to be. The Beranek family will always mean a lot to Nebraska sports, they just didn’t have the genetics to make it bigger. Great people.

Wasn't meant to be? He was a contributor on a team with 19 wins, earned five starts and played in all 32 contests.

2010-11 (Senior)
Beranek played an important role in helping the Huskers win 19 games and reach the postseason for the third time in four years. He appeared in all 32 games, including five starts, and averaged 4.2 points and 2.4 rebounds per contest. Beranek was selected as the 2011 Paul Velander Hustle Award winner by the coaching staff, as he ranked among the team leaders in floor burns and charges taken.

He reached double figures three times while coming off the bench, including a pair of times in conference action. He had 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and a season-best three assists at Baylor on Feb. 9, while also totaling 10 points, four rebounds and two assists in a win over Colorado on Jan. 18. His other double figure effort came against Jackson State when he hit 4-of-5 shots from the field, including both of his 3-point attempts.

Beranek made four of his five starts in Big 12 action, including a start against Iowa State when he had nine points and seven rebounds while limiting Scott Christopherson, who was leading the Big 12 in 3-point percentage at the time, to just six points on 2-of-7 shooting. He keyed a Senior Night win over No. 22 Missouri, scoring all seven of his points in the second half of a 69-57 win over the Tigers.

Ya def beranak wasn’t great but I would say he was at least a contributor. To me the ceiling on lakes is hopefully Duncan Robinson

What is the turnover rate for the last 18 months on the basketball team, 50, 60, 80%? Its freaking ridiculous the revolving door at Nebraska basketball.
This was Fred's first year......he had to get a team together quickly year one. So let's give him a couple of years. In year 3 if there is still a revolving door.......then I will be concerned. What I dont want to see is that players become "disposable" .......

He also had an offer from Xavier; they must have liked something they saw.
Boom. Destroyed. Not often you see a response that completely obliterates the other guy, and no, I am not being sarcastic.

Welcome, Mr. Lakes! We are glad to have you.

I don't have a problem joining your skepticism. However, when Lakes faced the D1 competition, he was also surrounded by a team full of D2 teammates.

How many open looks were wasted when the D2 PG couldn't get free from the D1 defender?

How many open looks were delayed when passes delayed timing because the Indy player wasn't used to cross court looks over 6'7 wings instead of 6'4 dudes in d2?

Hoiberg wants a sharp shooter off the bench who can come in and hit threes while trailing in transition. I'm guessing he will have a ton more open looks than he ever had facing Xavier while at UIndy?

Reactions: tdierberger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT