ADVERTISEMENT

Seeking wisdom(?) of car guys ITT

Interloper

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
Respectfully requesting the opinions of the automotive braintrust here on IN...my problem is I have a 2023 C8 Z51 Corvette (yeah I know, some problem) that I was going to trade in on a C8 Z06, however I'm having a difficult time reconciling the additional $50k needed to make a trade with the dealer (Ima poor) as I'm in the planning stages of retirement and it will make wife happier to stand down, so I've nixed the Z06 notion.

The Z51 is an incredible track machine and I intend to use it in that mode some if I keep it, but the problem is that even though it's relatively fast AF as is, it's so good that it's pretty boring on the street/road and so there's not much fun to be had with it other than on the track...the other issue is there's one on every corner and it will only continue to depreciate so if I track it and keep it until my teeth fall out, it won't be worth much to my kids by then (a relatively minor concern). So, I'm toying with the notion of trading/selling it for a straight up deal on either A) a low mile 2018-2020 Mustang GT350 R or B) a low mile 2009-2011 C6 ZR1.

The appeal to me of those two options are that 1) the GT350R has a high revving FPC engine with a manual tranny and the driving experience is much more involved even when going slow (which the R happens to be, compared to both of the corvettes acceleration-wise). It is a very capable track weapon however and it's a very low production model so not sure I'd want to beat on it too much as it's somewhat collectable, but again the joy would just be rowing the gears on weekends without getting too crazy fast.

2) The C6 ZR1 is a supercharged 6 speed manual beast that with a few small mods can crank out 800-900 WHP and scare you a little, which I also like. It is also a very low production car so I doubt I'd track it much or put any mods on it that couldn't easily be reversed so that it would hold it's value some until I quit driving and hand the keys over to the boys. And lastly there's option 3) Keep the C8 and take it to the track 4-5 times/year and enjoy that aspect of it, even if it's relatively boring otherwise.

Right now I'm leaning to going with the GT350R or the C6 ZR1 even though the Z51 is a better track car than the ZR1 and pretty much equal to/slightly better than the GT350R. The DCT tranny in the C8 is awesome but it's just more fun driving a stick, even if it slows you down a tad...haven't posted this on any of the car forums I frequent as opinions can be highly biased (and probably here as well) but I know that if nothing else, I'll get good shock value by soliciting responses from some of you maniacs here. Any and all responses appreciated.

Reactions: KRouge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News