ADVERTISEMENT

SEC speed

LRob

First Team All-Big Ten
Oct 15, 2001
Out of the 8 position groups at the combine the SEC had the fastest person in just one group. And amazingly the slow prodding BIG posted the fastest times in two groups. Here it is:

BIG (RB/DB) Langford & Waynes
SEC (LB)
ACC (DL) Gregory #5 out of 48
PAC (QB)
USA (WR) Bell and Smith (osu) placed #7
MVC (TE)
Div 3 (OL) Scherff #4 out of 40

I know these times aren't the end all be all, but I would've expected the SEC to have the fastest guys at each position based on the "SEC speed" narrative.

Originally posted by LRob:
Out of the 8 position groups at the combine the SEC had the fastest person in just one group. And amazingly the slow prodding BIG posted the fastest times in two groups. Here it is:

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

I know these times aren't the end all be all, but I would've expected the SEC to have the fastest guys at each position based on the "SEC speed" narrative.It does not matter if the SEC is the biggest, fastest, or strongest conference in College football. ESPN will glorify them to be the best because ESPN essentially owns the SEC now because they own the SEC network. Why do you think Gameday spends 80% of the coverage on the SEC now? because they own the SEC, and when the SEC does well, they do well. It's biased, yellow journalism and the journalists that put out that product should be ashamed of themselves.

I'll take the kids who play fast in pads over the workout wonders; in some instances, those two will cross over and you've got a heck of a good ball player.

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

I know these times aren't the end all be all, but I would've expected the SEC to have the fastest guys at each position based on the "SEC speed" narrative.
Sounds good. Let me know how it works out on draft day. SEC > everyone else.

Track speed can exist anywhere. It's you versus the clock.

In the game, it's you (with pads, a ball, and other players) versus the opponent.

In the power conferences, you are pitted against the best competition and that's the difference in most cases.

The concept of "SEC Speed" stems from the front 7's on defense. For years, SEC teams had the deepest and most athletic collection of Defensive Linemen and Linebackers in the country.

Kudos to Michigan State and Urban Meyer for understanding that's where you "close the gap." Nebraska has occasionally had it in bits and pieces, but Bo Pelini was too much of recruiting liability to consistently bring that type of talent into the program.

Heck, if you view the roster now, there are some very high level members of the Front 7, but the depth is not where it needs to be in order to compete at a high level. You could argue being in year 7 of a tenure and only having 4 scholarship linebackers available on your roster at the end of year 7 was reason alone for termination of Bo Pelini.

There is one thing about SEC speed and positional speed that's overrated and overvalued in college football:

- Receiver.

The SEC has a ton of big time "take it to the house" receivers. Those guys are certainly awesome athletes. But their impact in College Football is overvalued. I will take Tony Lippet and his 4.61 forty any day of the week.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
The concept of "SEC Speed" stems from the front 7's on defense. For years, SEC teams had the deepest and most athletic collection of Defensive Linemen and Linebackers in the country.

Kudos to Michigan State and Urban Meyer for understanding that's where you "close the gap." Nebraska has occasionally had it in bits and pieces, but Bo Pelini was too much of recruiting liability to consistently bring that type of talent into the program.

Heck, if you view the roster now, there are some very high level members of the Front 7, but the depth is not where it needs to be in order to compete at a high level. You could argue being in year 7 of a tenure and only having 4 scholarship linebackers available on your roster at the end of year 7 was reason alone for termination of Bo Pelini.

There is one thing about SEC speed and positional speed that's overrated and overvalued in college football:

- Receiver.

The SEC has a ton of big time "take it to the house" receivers. Those guys are certainly awesome athletes. But their impact in College Football is overvalued. I will take Tony Lippet and his 4.61 forty any day of the week.
Amari Cooper is straight up NFL ready..

Originally posted by jteten:

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

That's pretty funny. Go read some more ESPN.

Originally posted by Tyante:

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

NFL Draft Picks over the last 5 years, by conference.

SEC 241
ACC 169
BIG 153
PAC 149
B12 124

Originally posted by Cornicator:

- Receiver.

I agree about the front 7 depth. Especially depth on the front four...going 7-8 deep being able to rotate in fresh bodies. MSU has finally got quality depth on the defensive line.

Wow only having 4 scholarship LBs is mind boggling. Sometimes things happen with injuries, transfers, dismissals, etc...but that number is scary.

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

True...but it won't change the scoreboard. We were told how dominant the SEC West was all year...yada...yada...yada...yet they were 2-5 in their bowl games. SEC is still a great conference...but right now the champs reside in the BIG. The gap is closing so in the words of PE...Don't...Don't...Don't believe the Hype!!

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

SEC 241
ACC 169
BIG 153
PAC 149
B12 124
And Missouri, and old Big 12 team, has been the best team in the SEC East the last 2 seasons. The top 5 teams in the SEC West went 0-5 in their bowl games. I think that says a lot more then their past success in the draft. Years ago when they were winning their national championships, you could make that argument. Now you are just repeating what ESPN feeds you.

Remember 10 years ago when people complained about how all they would talk about was USC? I do.

The SEC has been dominate the last decade, so they get a lot of talk.

Are you one of those Milwaukee Buck fans who complains that they don't talk about your team as much as the Cavs?

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

SEC 241
ACC 169
BIG 153
PAC 149
B12 124
And Missouri, and old Big 12 team, has been the best team in the SEC East the last 2 seasons. The top 5 teams in the SEC West went 0-5 in their bowl games. I think that says a lot more then their past success in the draft. Years ago when they were winning their national championships, you could make that argument. Now you are just repeating what ESPN feeds you.
Years ago when they were winning National Championships? Wow, I can barely remember that far back. :)

LeBron James didn't win the title last year, so he is no longer the best player in the NBA, right? Using the exception to the rule is always a weak argument. Believe me, I would love nothing more than for the SEC to continue sliding back into the pack, but until there is consistent on field results, it looks relatively embarrassing to argue against the SEC, IMO.

Going on Corn's comment above.

Top speed in each position group really means nothing. The SEC could be the overall fastest conference in the land, but not have any of the top sprinters at each position. Just imagine that Ginn was at OSU, but then the conference was fielding a bunch of Marlowe type players. The B1G would take the crown, but the SEC would be faster on the field.

Those Front 7's were where the reputation was built.

Speedy football players are all over the place.

Speedy and NFL-ready football players are not. Most (not all) are in the power conferences.

SEC (LB)
PAC (QB)
MVC (TE)

SEC 241
ACC 169
BIG 153
PAC 149
B12 124
Years ago when they were winning National Championships? Wow, I can barely remember that far back. :)

LeBron James didn't win the title last year, so he is no longer the best player in the NBA, right? Using the exception to the rule is always a weak argument. Believe me, I would love nothing more than for the SEC to continue sliding back into the pack, but until there is consistent on field results, it looks relatively embarrassing to argue against the SEC, IMO.
I'm sorry, you are right. I will concede this argument to you. When your top 5 teams go 0-5 in their bowl games, they should still be considered the best conference. Please accept my apology.

Even on draft day, they can buy into hype - wasn't it supposed to be 3 or 4 SEC teams in the first playoffs about 6 weeks before the actual picks? ..... IMO , if you want to stand on drafts; you can't make your point until you show the level of success and retention of draft picks from the conferences. .... Missouri was brought in to lick boots; their success and even A+M's success; should make more SEC purists more aware. An Optimist.

For now, for now, the SEC based on what they have done the past ten years can still lay claim for being the best conference top to bottom. That doesn't mean that things can't or haven't shifted somewhat, it doesn't mean that they are five times or even two times better, and it certainly doesn't mean that a non-SEC team can't win a National Championship.

It's ironic that the two conferences considered by some to be the weakest among the Power 5, won the last two National Championships.

"The concept of "SEC Speed" stems from the front 7's on defense. For years, SEC teams had the deepest and most athletic collection of Defensive Linemen and Linebackers in the country. "

Bingo ! This was the difference in our NCG against Florida & Urban back in 2006/2007. His front seven lived in the Buckeye backfield that night. I believe we ended up with a TOTAL of 80 something yards offense. Troy Smith was running for his life the whole damn night. Still have nightmares about that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT