ADVERTISEMENT

Season expectations?

GammaxuvirHusker

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 8, 2014
Are we drinking the kool-aid yet? It's inevitable it seems that every year half the posters think the team will blow away all expectations and win 9 or 10 games (or more). I don't see it happening, personally. I'd be content with 6 wins and a bowl invite, but 4 or 5 wins wouldn't surprise me either.

What say you?

I have no expectations. I'm basically treating this year like I should have in Frost's first year.

would be nice to see them put together some good games and build some momentum.

would be bitterly disappointing to see them any worse than they have been.

looking forward to seeing a lot of young guys get PT and (hopefully) continued improvement on defense.

Are we drinking the kool-aid yet? It's inevitable it seems that every year half the posters think the team will blow away all expectations and win 9 or 10 games (or more). I don't see it happening, personally. I'd be content with 6 wins and a bowl invite, but 4 or 5 wins wouldn't surprise me either.

What say you?
9 and 3 talent (players), hopefully the staff doesn't screw up the season again.

I really think game one will tell us what's up. If we can't win that one, we'll probably end up 5-7 again. If we win, we'll get the next two and then we have a chance to get to 8 or even 9 if things break our way for once.
I think you are talking about Illnois (by the way, great call on the Buff line, already that has jumped 3 points), beat Illinois and start 3-0, with gameday (maybe?) at OU, with both teams without a loss.

But, 3-1 to start the season means a pretty nice year.

Hard to see the Huskers not getting to a bowl this year. But not that knowledgeable about the Big 10. Hard to see Neb. losing any of the first three or Purdue or winning against OU or Ohio State. Of the other other six not that impressed with Minn., Michigan or Michigan State. Don't know if Wisconsin has improved over last year and understand NW lost a bunch. Assume Iowa will be tough but will see how they do against ISU. My prediction is 8-4.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
In an ideal world the team and staff would completely surprise everyone and somehow manage 10 regular season wins.
Unfortunately, 5 wins is far more plausible at this point...

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I think you are talking about Illnois (by the way, great call on the Buff line, already that has jumped 3 points), beat Illinois and start 3-0, with gameday (maybe?) at OU, with both teams without a loss.

But, 3-1 to start the season means a pretty nice year.

Yeah, if we blow out illy (I don't think we will), we'll likely blow out Fordham and Buffalo and then we can delude ourselves between Sept. 12-17 while watching YouTube of 1978, mid 90s, 2001, and 2009 games vs OU.

I guess our expectations for the team/program should remain high, but I think it's going to be another disaster on offense with the current 'lineup'.

maybe that one position changes at some point, and with it, our odds change too?

I freaking hope so already.

I have no expectations. I'm basically treating this year like I should have in Frost's first year.

would be nice to see them put together some good games and build some momentum.

would be bitterly disappointing to see them any worse than they have been.

looking forward to seeing a lot of young guys get PT and (hopefully) continued improvement on defense.
I do want to see a bunch of the youngsters. Hopefully Ervin, Alante and a few others give us some reason for hope.

I guess our expectations for the team/program should remain high, but I think it's going to be another disaster on offense with the current 'lineup'.

maybe that one position changes at some point, and with it, our odds change too?

My koolaid take is I actually think there is some talent at the skill position. It is all highly unproven, but actually some decent talent in my eyes. The problem is that Martinez is leading the offense. Even with bad talent we had people open, but can't seem to find a QB to find them. Hopefully he makes a jump, but I feel like we will be forever mediocre to bad until Martinez leaves

You really sure you know the current lineup on offense?

I have no idea what to expect this year. It all hinges on two things: Martinez playing better, smarter football, and Martinez staying healthy. If both of those things become a reality then I can see us going 8-4 or 9-3. If not I can see us at 4-8
Martinez staying healthy is directly tied to him not having the most carries on the damn football team for the 3rd time in 4 years.

In 2018 QBs accounted for 35% of the rushing attempts. RBs 61% and others 4%
In 2019 QBs accounted for 37% of the rushing attempts. RBs 44% and others 19% - skewed because of Wandale Robinson's rushing attempts and not knowing how many of the rushing attempts he was lined up as a RB.
In 2020 QBs accounted for 45% of the rushing attempts. RBs 36% and others 19% - again skewed because of Wandale Robinson.

What say you?
We are going 7-5 at least. Period.

I don't believe I ask you it was directed at Mr. Negative. LOL
When you post on a message board, it isn't a private discussion, there is a chance someone else is going to call you out for a silly opinion. If he wants to reply to you that is his call.

The point is that just because you root for a team, there is no requirement to be positive, think that the players have talent they don't have, or have expectations of a winning season when that hasn't happened in 4 years.

LOL

I don’t really understand why people say we have talent.

Which of our players would play a single snap for any of the teams that routinely beat our doors down? Who is going to be even a 2nd day draft pick?

Guess I just don’t see it.
I agree. I read it on here over and over but it never shows up. How many returning players do we have that we HM or higher in the B1G?

Then there is the "hope to see the young guys" when there are not many. D is old enough to collect social security. Some young RB's and WR's but that's about it.

Of course play calling is always mentioned as a problem. How about we execute one of these days? That will make Frost a much better play caller.

Unfortunately, this team, even in year 4 has a lot to prove.

I don’t really understand why people say we have talent.

Which of our players would play a single snap for any of the teams that routinely beat our doors down? Who is going to be even a 2nd day draft pick?

Guess I just don’t see it.
And you haven’t seen in a full season what Toure, Manning, Nixon and Alante Brown and Betts and they all have talent and I didn’t have to mention Martin who is just steady..

Not to mention more quality and running back position too..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
When you post on a message board, it isn't a private discussion, there is a chance someone else is going to call you out for a silly opinion. If he wants to reply to you that is his call.

The point is that just because you root for a team, there is no requirement to be positive, think that the players have talent they don't have, or have expectations of a winning season when that hasn't happened in 4 years.

LOL
Oh I know I was giving you some shit. Being negative is OK but he and some others just never seem to be positive regardless.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
We are going 7-5 at least. Period.

Based on what exactly?

To answer the question, Frost has done a great job at lowering the expectations. Expectations seem to just win six games(in year 4)…and make it to the toilet bowl. And when/if he doesn’t I wonder what the excuse will be? The lack of buy in inside the program right now is no longer a Riley issue. I could see 6 wins, I could also see 4 and the standard Frost team that doesn’t take care of the ball, commits stupid penalties and looks unprepared with minimal in game adjustments.

Frost has been so bad the goal post have already moved for him. It’s been a far cry from the loud mouths “better get us now because in year 2” etc etc etc….now we are in year 4 and we are talking about just winning 6 games.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Based on what exactly?

To answer the question, Frost has done a great job at lowering the expectations. Expectations seem to just win six games(in year 4)…and make it to the toilet bowl. And when/if he doesn’t I wonder what the excuse will be? The lack of buy in inside the program right now is no longer a Riley issue. I could see 6 wins, I could also see 4 and the standard Frost team that doesn’t take care of the ball, commits stupid penalties and looks unprepared with minimal in game adjustments.

Frost has been so bad the goal post have already moved for him. It’s been a far cry from the loud mouths “better get us now because in year 2” etc etc etc….now we are in year 4 and we are talking about just winning 6 games.
You are talking about winning 6 games.

If Nebraska stops beating Nebraska we would have won the west last year. Yes last year. The teams we lost to , outside of OSU, are no more talented or better then Nebraska. They played better fundamental football. ST's lost us 2 games probably. Turnovers and penalties lost of most of the rest with ST's.

We will be 7-5 or better

Reactions: TerranPetteway
6-6. Usually at this point in time I’m chugging the Koolaid, but not this year. We’ll see how they look against IL week 0.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I tend to believe there is some decent talent on the roster. My question is why does that talent not see the field.

Is the playbook to difficult? Are the players talented only physically? Is the coaching subpar, and are the coaches not developing what is there?

I guess if it were me and I was going into year 3, coming off 2 losing season where that wasn't the expectation, I would play the most talented players, dumb down the playbook if I had to and get the guys I brought in to learn OJT style rather than lose with less talented players that I didn't bring in.

What say you?
I just hope I'm not outside doing yardwork by halftime, fuming for the rest of the day.

You are talking about winning 6 games.

If Nebraska stops beating Nebraska we would have won the west last year. Yes last year. The teams we lost to , outside of OSU, are no more talented or better then Nebraska. They played better fundamental football. ST's lost us 2 games probably. Turnovers and penalties lost of most of the rest with ST's.

We will be 7-5 or better
not sure about that. I will give you the Minnesota game. 2 turnovers resulted in 2 TDs for Minnesota and Culp missed a FG. Probably should have been a win.

Iowa, the fumble at the end of the game looks big because it was at the end of the game, but Nebraska still had to go another 48 yards even if Martinez holds on to the ball on the sack. No guarantees.

Illinois, Nebraska defense gave up 4 drives of over 65 yards and two 100 yard rushers. Yes the turnovers were not good, but I am not sure they were the deciding factor in the game. Only 10 points came directly after a turnover.

Northwestern - maybe, they also had uncharacteristic turnovers that gave us the short field for 10 of the 13 points we scored. One could say the game wouldn't have been as close as it was without Northwestern turning it over and missing FGs.

Based on what exactly?

I think you confuse expectations and what is acceptable. What I expect to happen is fully different than what I think is acceptable.

If what I expect to happen - 6 wins or less - I think there should be changes. Of course what is acceptable to me, you, or any fan has little play in what will happen.

I know there are some that are OK with 6 wins, but to the vast majority that won't be acceptable.

And you haven’t seen in a full season what Toure, Manning, Nixon and Alante Brown and Betts and they all have talent and I didn’t have to mention Martin who is just steady..

Not to mention more quality and running back position too..
Betts is legit. Hope we can get him the ball this year.

Excited about Toure, too. Same goes- hope we can get him the ball further than 5yds downfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT