ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage today

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
Last edited:
"I scream at the defense and make them run a gasser — the coaches too," Rhule said. “...The defense won the whole scrimmage. But at the end of the day, you know what they did? They didn't make the play at the end to win it. It wasn't anything physical. It was mental — our awareness of the situation and our awareness of doing the right thing."

"I scream at the defense and make them run a gasser — the coaches too," Rhule said. “...The defense won the whole scrimmage. But at the end of the day, you know what they did? They didn't make the play at the end to win it. It wasn't anything physical. It was mental — our awareness of the situation and our awareness of doing the right thing."
So does Rhule ever make himself run?

So does Rhule ever make himself run?
Man that is a great question! Man, what an insight. Its almost as if he doesnt have to do anything but coach up the team because he's put himself in a position to not have to do things that a student athelete does. WOW, what a concept.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Just as someone who coached football for a long time, this is probably planned ahead of time. In pre-practice meetings. "Hey, if the O or D is lame today, I am going to jump their asses and make them run and I am going to make you guys run too, you all okay with that?"

They all laugh and say it is fine.

Pretty much every melt down or jock up that a coach at that level does (even at the HS level) is pretty much scripted.

Practice...not games...games are different.

I can't tell you how many times we would be standing there chatting and saying "Hey, today we are going to tell them we are doing 20 gassers...they will bitch and moan and then we will say if you guys can do 5 under X seconds, we are done".

Sounds like he's busy purging the remnants of "no fear of failure" .

Thank goodness.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sounds like it was solid for defense but someone list their cool on the final play and threw a lunch. Offense won because of it.

Great lesson to learn from if they're going to break through the curse of close losses. Sounds like Rhule made the defensive coaches run gassers along with the defensive players.

Epic.

Not cool, there are starving children in Africa and our players are out there throwing lunches.

Sounds like it was solid for defense but someone list their cool on the final play and threw a lunch. Offense won because of it.

Great lesson to learn from if they're going to break through the curse of close losses. Sounds like Rhule made the defensive coaches run gassers along with the defensive players.

Epic.

Not a big deal to me… last year under frost we had linemen throwing lunches every practice I think but it didn’t make them better.

It's mainly a joke but yes he did make the other coaches run AND he often says he's to blame when some things go wrong.

He didn't fail the coaches did. He gave them a plan and he held them accountable for their failure to follow his plan.

I like it because eventhough they were dominating the scrimmage they made a costly mistake at the end and were held accountable for it.

No one punishes themself for others not living up to the expectations

He's the CEO not an operations manager.

Hes held accountable in wins in losses.

Last edited:
I’m ok with 2-3 personal fouls a game if it means they are playing nasty and aggressive. The past several years the team gives the appearance of soft.

In Miami’s glory days they had 9 personal fouls in a half against Texas. That’s over the top but you have to admit Miami was good.

It’s ok to play right on the edge and every once in awhile take a step over.

I am starting to be in the corner of (Rhule being a blessing in disguise). “An apparent misfortune that eventually has good results.”
Now, the misfortune is that Scott Frost did not work out like we all had hoped and Frost being fired. Rhule was then hired and good results shall follow…

Reactions: king_kong_
I am starting to be in the corner of (Rhule being a blessing in disguise). “An apparent misfortune that eventually has good results.”
Now, the misfortune is that Scott Frost did not work out like we all had hoped and Frost being fired. Rhule was then hired and good results shall follow…
Timing and context are everything in life. There’s hardly any Husker fans left who remember a time before Bob Devaney. We became a spoiled and entitled fan base. We didn’t believe Tom when he tried to tell us how hard it is to win consistently in P5 football. It’s one of the reasons I try to temper my criticism. I remember Bob’s early struggle.

Reactions: Anegada1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT