ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage 2 notes

We have been saying that for years now and it rarely happens. If there is a big enough lead that the DR is given some time off, then it would seem logical the bulk of that time would go to whomever is #2 which I assume is HH.

The old days when we subbed RB's and the top three would go over 100 yards each are long in the rear view mirror.
Why we need to straight beat the shit out of a couple teams and play everyone, 3rd team included. Then we won't always be behind in development.

We have been saying that for years now and it rarely happens. If there is a big enough lead that the DR is given some time off, then it would seem logical the bulk of that time would go to whomever is #2 which I assume is HH.

The old days when we subbed RB's and the top three would go over 100 yards each are long in the rear view mirror.
My favorite gripe over the years, even realizing it's a two-edged sword. Early in the season your 1's need all the reps and game experience they can get. But the 2's and even some 3's need the same and I'd like to see them spell the starters for a series or 2. At least.*

*This opinion is from someone who doesn't have a W/L record like TO. Or even Mike Riley for that matter. 😂

Get HH on the field in a non qb role. Too good of an athlete not to

Who do you want to sit to do that? Also if he's your number 2 QB do you feel comfortable having to play the transfer or DK should HH is injured?

IF HH is your number 2 you have to take that into account. Personally I've never been high on HH and hope like hell the transfer guy can win the number 2 spot (doubt it happens though). At least that way if HH was 3rd the risk would be near as bad and you could try and play him elsewhere.

Problem I see now is that I think it's a bit too late for him to be moving around now. I was always of the opinion that he should've maybe been playing some type of H Back role. Now I don't see a situation where he is better than anyone at our skill positions that would merit him playing ahead of them. He wouldn't be better than any of our top 2 TEs, top 7-8 WRs, or RBs or even FB. Plus we now have big bodies WRs like Banks, Neyor, and Nelson as well. So imo you don't play a lessor player just because.

I guess outside of some short yardage wildcat or maybe an occasional trick play I don't see a reason to play him anywhere else. Actually LAST YEAR was the year we probably could've pulled it off IF Sims didn't stink up the place. I think that ship has sailed now though.

Holla

I'm betting Jalyn Gramstad gets number 2

Having not seeing any of those guys play I think I'd probably trust him not to "lose" a game over the other two. He may not have physical abilities of those guys but I'd trust someone who has shown what he has. Imo...I hope u are right

Holla

Reactions: RedMyMind
Who do you want to sit to do that? Also if he's your number 2 QB do you feel comfortable having to play the transfer or DK should HH is injured?

IF HH is your number 2 you have to take that into account. Personally I've never been high on HH and hope like hell the transfer guy can win the number 2 spot (doubt it happens though). At least that way if HH was 3rd the risk would be near as bad and you could try and play him elsewhere.

Problem I see now is that I think it's a bit too late for him to be moving around now. I was always of the opinion that he should've maybe been playing some type of H Back role. Now I don't see a situation where he is better than anyone at our skill positions that would merit him playing ahead of them. He wouldn't be better than any of our top 2 TEs, top 7-8 WRs, or RBs or even FB. Plus we now have big bodies WRs like Banks, Neyor, and Nelson as well. So imo you don't play a lessor player just because.

I guess outside of some short yardage wildcat or maybe an occasional trick play I don't see a reason to play him anywhere else. Actually LAST YEAR was the year we probably could've pulled it off IF Sims didn't stink up the place. I think that ship has sailed now though.

Holla
one would hope that if we get a comfortable lead at some point that we get our backup QB or QBs game reps. One way or another, we need to try to keep them happy because one of them is one snap away from starting multiple games.

Having not seeing any of those guys play I think I'd probably trust him not to "lose" a game over the other two. He may not have physical abilities of those guys but I'd trust someone who has shown what he has. Imo...I hope u are right

Holla
my problem with that idea is that he wasn't here for spring and we really don't know what he's shown other than koolaid practice reports.

Holla
“He may not have physical abilities………”
I think you have to separate physical and abilities in this case.
My understanding is that the concern with him is his size. A little on the light side for BIG Football.

Abilities wise, he is extremely accurate with the ball, I think the mental side is very good, as far as reads and where the ball should go. He has a very quick release.

I’m actually not making a case for him to be #2, I still think it will be HH for all the reasons you’ve said. But if that ended up being the case, as long as the Line can protect him, (obviously goes with all the QBs), I think he can be pretty darn good, and definitely no worse than we saw last year by a good margin.

If that makes sense.

Last edited:
I'm betting Jalyn Gramstad gets number 2
I think he will indeed get some playing time, but I see it as way more situational and emergency situation. I could see him getting the call late in the 4th quarter, game on the line type situation.. you have maybe 3 series left to play and your starter is injured and HH is struggling. JG was 25-1 in a lower division, and I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable using him in that situation than a green DK. I think DK has to redshirt.. give him some mopup duty in a couple of pre-season games. He may have IT, or IT could just be coach speak to keep the freshman happy. HH is your official #2 most likely on the offense that turned the ball over 4x. HH is hot and cold, but his leadership is very good. If he's cold, insert JG.

I think he will indeed get some playing time, but I see it as way more situational and emergency situation. I could see him getting the call late in the 4th quarter, game on the line type situation.. you have maybe 3 series left to play and your starter is injured and HH is struggling. JG was 25-1 in a lower division, and I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable using him in that situation than a green DK. I think DK has to redshirt.. give him some mopup duty in a couple of pre-season games. He may have IT, or IT could just be coach speak to keep the freshman happy. HH is your official #2 most likely on the offense that turned the ball over 4x. HH is hot and cold, but his leadership is very good. If he's cold, insert JG.
We don’t know if it was QB turnovers, RB turnovers, or Wide receivers/Tight-end turnovers. But what I do know is this..

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT