ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost Press Conference and BTN Interview

A "formula for success" doesn't necessarily mean the type of plays you call. Osborne's formula was lots of hard word in the weight room in the offseason, lots of players getting reps in practice, having a unity of purpose, all oars rowing in one direction, ect.
Run the damn ball. That is the formula for success at Nebraska.

Reactions: huskerfan66
This is how I took it as well. I think the scheme will work just about anywhere. It’s the unity of purpose, the fact that the football team is a reflection of the people of Nebraska and the values they hold, etc. Coach even alluded to it when he was hired. Several years ago the right people weren’t in place, the culture was all jacked up. Starting from the ground up means changing the culture of the program and if we’re being honest that has to start in the AD’s office. I have a feeling the culture Frost wants to build aligns very similarly with Moos, and while Frost may be the driver and sustainer of that culture, I think Moos was the catalyst.
Whenever I get to hear Moos, Davison or Coach Frost speak, my inerds are on fire. They have us on the right track.

Run the damn ball. That is the formula for success at Nebraska.

I would say maybe that’s part of it. But I think the S&C and the Nutrition is the biggest key. The reason NU became NU in the 1990’s is because of the ground breaking S&C and Nutrition work they did in the mid to late 1980’s. TO and Dave Ellis were pioneers in those areas and it really came together in the mid-1990’s. I think part of that was also the level of accountability that was instilled as a by product of a good S&C program. Accountability is one of the most difficult steps that any organization can take, ESPECIALLY peer to peer accountability. I think, as coach has said, that type of accountability requires a unity of purpose and looking out for one another. If the coaches can implement a significant degree of peer to peer accountability within the S&C program, I think you’ll find things turn around on the field very quickly.

Yeah, by being Oregon/UCF?

I get that people are making a distinction between the culture and the scheme, but there are going to be a lot of people that aren't going to see that.
Then people need to familiarize themselves with what we plan to do. We don't need to run the same stuff as everyone else to beat them. Our cutting edge offense is a plus, not a minus.

Well at 9:18 Scott talks about how a different formula works at different schools... and how TO figured out a formula that worked here etc..

Yet he is bringing this hurry up offense and hurry up defense, and so I guess he thinks the scheme you run doesn't matter, but it's weird to me because he mentions the scheme might not work at Texas A&M or how Alabama's might not work at Vandy.

I'm surprised people haven't caught this, because to me, it's kind of a very big contradiction.

So from this, it seems all local guys and hard work and brotherhood.. and that will change the program.. Forget recruiting stars I guess. Heck, we have 4 guys from NE on the 2019 scholarship wagon already.. don't think I have ever seen that before.

Frost mentioned later that he still uses many of the concepts that Osborne used, but has now combined them to the concepts he learned under Chip Kelly at Oregon. He essentially runs a lot of stuff Osborne did, but under different formations and at a faster pace. But people forget that in 1997, Osborne had evolved the offense to where we were running more spread and shotgun. He even said in an interview that if he had kept coaching, he would have run an offense similar to what Urban Meyer did.

Then people need to familiarize themselves with what we plan to do. We don't need to run the same stuff as everyone else to beat them. Our cutting edge offense is a plus, not a minus.
coupled with that hurry up defense.. it is the complete opposite strategy that Nebraska used to use. Run the ball, eat up the clock. This, is hurry and score, and if you can't get a turnover, let the other team score (in a way) so you can go try to score again.

Well, I think the fan base will freak out when they realize the scheme is 180 to what it used to be.

Even at my age...I would run through a wall for that guy after just listening to that press conference!!! Winking

DiznDn2VQAA9Gv-

Diu-INZUwAA2EU2
Whenever I hear someone talk about running through walls for a coach, I remember a time when I was at a live TV (or radio) interview where a national sportscaster was interviewing Osborne and asked him "how do you get your players to run through a wall for you?" to which Osborne replied in typical deadpan Osborne speak, "I hope I teach my guys to not run through walls. They are smarter than that."

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOWH

Frost says, going forward, he wants Nebraska's big non-conference game to be an old Big 12 or Big 8 foe. Mentions K-State and Iowa State. #huskers

2:19 PM - Jul 23, 2018
I would be in favor of eliminating an Akron for this, but not sure I would want to eliminate the premier opponent. Don't know if Iowa State or kstate would be a good trade off for an Oregon, Miami, UCLA or USC.

I think from a fan stand point it would be great.

I would be in favor of eliminating an Akron for this, but not sure I would want to eliminate the premier opponent. Don't know if Iowa State or kstate would be a good trade off for an Oregon, Miami, UCLA or USC.

I think from a fan stand point it would be great.

I agree, I would rather play our main non-conference game in a fertile recruiting area, or somewhere that fans that don't live near Lincoln can attend, or against a big-name program that we don't normally play. Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M would fit the bill. KSU and ISU would be good in the sense that a lot of our fans could drive to the game, but otherwise there isn't much upside to playing them.

Plus, Iowa State plays Iowa every year in nonconference, I doubt they will want to play us as well.

I agree, I would rather play our main non-conference game in a fertile recruiting area, or somewhere that fans that don't live near Lincoln can attend, or against a big-name program that we don't normally play. Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M would fit the bill. KSU and ISU would be good in the sense that a lot of our fans could drive to the game, but otherwise there isn't much upside to playing them.

Plus, Iowa State plays Iowa every year in nonconference, I doubt they will want to play us as well.
Good point about isu.

So did we not send any player Representatives to BTN Media days? I didn't DVR tbth portion and can't replay. I skimmed through it but thought i saw everyone but us.

Well if that don't strip my gears. I had it running and came inside at 3:10 and totally missed it. Well thanks anyway. Guess I'll have to DVR tonight replay.

Nebraska has already won with a scheme different than what won in the 90s.

Moos and Frost addressing inclusion and diversity question in wake of Ron Brown hire. Frost met earlier with cofounder of LGBT Safesport Inclusion program to address concerns expressed by organization

Last edited:
When questioned about the QBs Frost said, "I think we have two guys with a lot of talent". Sounds like they might have narrowed it down to two candidates..

We need to get back being more Physical on both sides of the ball like we were for decades, we turned into a powder puff team during the Riley era.
We will come back quickly the only good thing about the Riley era was it only lasted three years. The first class was at least half recruited for a spread offense. Only 2016 and 2017 were really all Riley recruits. I think Frost will evolve his offense to the Big10 over time.

When questioned about the QBs Frost said, "I think we have two guys with a lot of talent". Sounds like they might have narrowed it down to two candidates..

Yep, I have heard multiple interviews the past couple days where "2" and "both" QBs were referenced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT