ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday: Nebraska vs. Iowa (Huskers lose 5-3)

Top 1st

Derek Burkamper on the hill. 2 out pop up single to LF for Iowa. Fly out to RF ends the frame

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff single to RF for Schreiber. Miller grounds out to 2nd, Schreiber out at 2nd and Miller safe on the FC. Alvarado does
He same thing but to SS, Miller out and Alvarado safe on the FC. Balk call moves Alvarado to 2nd. Mike Waldron reaches on an infield single but an E6 throwing error and Alvarado scores on the play! Schlepp grounds out to SS

Top 3rd

2 out single to right center for Iowa. A great snag and throw by Altavilla to 2nd gets the 3rd out.

Top 4th

One out double off the LF wall for Iowa. Next batter walks. Next batter Ks. RBI single up the middle, runners on 1st and 2nd. Another RBI up the middle for Iowa. Fly out to LF ends the threat.

Bottom 4th

2 out single to left center for Miller. Alvarado with an infield single to SS. Waldron flies out to RF.

Top 5th

One out double to LF for Iowa. Pop out to shallow RF. Groundout to 1st ends the top half

Bottom 6th

Leadoff single to LF for Altavilla! Meyers bunt singles down the 3rd base line to put runners on 1st and 2nd! Schreiber flies out to RF, the runner from 2nd tags and heads to 3rd to put them on the corners. Miller grounds out to SS but does get the RBI on the play, Meyers moves to 2nd. Alvarado is intentionally walked. Waldron Ks looking in a very questionable call.

Top 7th

One out walk for Iowa. Matt Waldron now in to relieve Burkamper. Perfectly executed hot and run puts runners on the corners with still one out. A safety squeeze is not executed perfectly however as the runner is thrown out at the plate, runners on 1st and 2nd. 2 RBI double to right centerfield. An RBI double down the RF line Sick fly out to LF ends the bleeding.

Top 7th

One out walk for Iowa. Matt Waldron now in to relieve Burkamper. Perfectly executed hot and run puts runners on the corners with still one out. A safety squeeze is not executed perfectly however as the runner is thrown out at the plate, runners on 1st and 2nd. 2 RBI double to right centerfield. An RBI double down the RF line Sick fly out to LF ends the bleeding.
Story of the Weekend: huskers can't get a big hit to save their life (or hit for power), and Silva Seems a step slow pulling pitchers........

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Bottom 7th

Leadoff walk for Schlepp. Repinski in to pinch hit for Childs. Pitching change for Iowa. Roskam now in to pinch hit instead and drills a liner to CF! Mojo lays down a bad bunt so the lead runner is thrown out at 3rd. Altavilla walks the bases loaded. Meyers walks in a run! Schreiber grounds into a 4-3 DP, Meyers litterally runs right into the easy tag for Iowa.

Bottom 7th

Leadoff walk for Schlepp. Repinski in to pinch hit for Childs. Pitching change for Iowa. Roskam now in to pinch hit instead and drills a liner to CF! Mojo lays down a bad bunt so the lead runner is thrown out at 3rd. Altavilla walks the bases loaded. Meyers walks in a run! Schreiber grounds into a 4-3 DP, Meyers litterally runs right into the easy tag for Iowa.
Seriously, does Silvia know when to pull a pitcher. You walk/hit the 8/9 hitters and you keep him in to pitch to the top of the order? Is mcSteen not available?

Top 8th

Nate Fisher now in to pitch. 2 out walk for Iowa. Next guys is HBP (8-9 hitters each get free passes). WP moves the runners. Next batter walks to load the bases. Robbie Palkert now in to pitch. Alvarado with a great snag of a line drive to save the inning. He had a great catch at the wall earlier this inning as well.

Seriously, does Silvia know when to pull a pitcher. You walk/hit the 8/9 hitters and you keep him in to pitch to the top of the order? Is mcSteen not available?
I love Silva as a recruiter, he's a decent pitching coach, but his in game bullpen management is pretty poor. He takes too long to pull the trigger and he will only warm up one pitcher at a time most times which doesn't allow you to go with the hotter arm or play situational ball.

I will add that the inability we have to clutch hit puts unneeded pressure on our pitching staff at times.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Bottom 8th

One out double to RF for center for Alvarado! Wilkening now in to pinch hit for Roskam and he hits a hard groundout to 1st, runner moves to 3rd. Schlepp flies out to RF.

I think the hitting coach needs to go. This offense is horrid (unless they are playing weak ass Creighton).

I love Silva as a recruiter, he's a decent pitching coach, but his in game bullpen management is pretty poor. He takes too long to pull the trigger and he will only warm up one pitcher at a time most times which doesn't allow you to go with the hotter arm or play situational ball.

I will add that the inability we have to clutch hit puts unneeded pressure on our pitching staff at times.
The overall inability to get a clutch hit is uncanny, and prevents this team from getting to the next level.

Top 9th

Leadoff walk for Iowa. Fly out to LF. Single to RF puts runners on the corners. Pop out to shallow CF, runners stay put. Alvarado snags another gem in LF to save yet more runs for Iowa!

Hard to believe a guy with 14 years D1 head coaching experience could have Iowa in position to beat a team with superior facilities, fan support and history just because we hired a head coach with 0 experi-- oh, no, wait. Thanks, T.O.

Story of Erstad's tenure if we are being honest. Lots of holes in this lineup he has assembled.
Except for not having a natural lead off, 3 hole, and clean up hitter we look great (sarcasm included)!
Move Alvarado to 3, Miller to 4, screiber to 5. Meyers to 6? Is there anyone else on the roster who can hit leadoff?

The Erstad slump has begun. We knew it would happen sometime based on experience. I'd be lying if I was confident we weren't going to get swept tomorrow. In one weekend, I've gone from feeling good about this team to having almost no confidence in them getting a win when they need it. I'd feel better about things if we just weren't getting hits at all but when you get chance after chance after chance and can't do anything with it, it destroys confidence in their ability to get anything done. Same crap year after year after year with Erstad teams. But of course that doesn't matter-he's a Husker legend and that's all that matters. Winning is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT