ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Recruiting

That large of an incoming class inflates the overall ranking quite a bit. I doubt they’ll still be in the top 15 at the end of the recruiting cycle. I’ll give Schiano credit as he is a program builder and will try to set Rutgers up for long term success, but I wonder where they’ll stand in the conference with the new teams and no divisions.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Rutgers lack of football success if baffling. They live in a highly populated area. It’s a very good school. They should be the dominate program of the north east, but can’t seem to put it together. Schiano made them good once, I feel there’s potential for him to make them a respectable program moving forward if he stays.

Reactions: GaRed and Dean Pope
Rutgers lack of football success if baffling. They live in a highly populated area. It’s a very good school. They should be the dominate program of the north east, but can’t seem to put it together. Schiano made them good once, I feel there’s potential for him to make them a respectable program moving forward if he stays.
Not good but Kansas-esque

I celebrate every recruit we sign at Nebraska but I for the life of me don't know what to really make of recruiting classes anymore. The Transfer Portal changes things too many times in one year. It's exhausting. I'm very happy I don't gamble on college football.

Cue John Madden's ghost:

images

"What you have to do to win the recruiting battle is to have the best players sign with your football team and keep these players after they sign. If you do this, you will probably have the best team in college football"

Honestly, we need programs like Rutgers to get better if programs like NU want a better chance at becoming elite again. If schools started keeping the best kids in their region home that would bring the Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama back to the pack a little bit.

Honestly, we need programs like Rutgers to get better if programs like NU want a better chance at becoming elite again. If schools started keeping the best kids in their region home that would bring the Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama back to the pack a little bit.
Good point I hadn't thought about.

But with a way way better recruiting base. The number of people with 500 miles of Rutgers is unreal
I ran the 500 mile radius on Google Earth Pro. You're right. Insane. Includes everything from Charlotte north, almost all of Ohio, and includes Detroit.

I celebrate every recruit we sign at Nebraska but I for the life of me don't know what to really make of recruiting classes anymore. The Transfer Portal changes things too many times in one year. It's exhausting. I'm very happy I don't gamble on college football.
That is a great point. It's really not worth much of an investment in time to study these guys, talk about them on message boards like we used to years ago.

I would feel the same way about the portal affecting recruiting hype, but I already got jaded about NU recruiting during the Pelini era. Pelini & staff put in little effort on recruiting. Riley & the Williams boys brought in too many guys that only looked good on paper and didn't want to stay. And Frost repeated the mistakes of both previous staffs.

It's still really early in Rhule's (hopefully long & successful) tenure here, but because he doesn't have a high transfer rate (as of now), it makes the recruiting much more exciting than not.

But we need good players from places like New Jersey to become elite again.

Reactions: king_kong_
My daughter is married to a guy who is a huge Rutgers fan and has season tickets. I have been there twice now when Nebraska played there. The stadium is small but really nice. I thought their tunnel walk was better than ours (Yes, tons of teams have tunnel walk video entrances now). But the fans are pretty vocal and were super nice. They do have a huge alumni base and a pretty good fan following considering their lack of success. Tailgating is very lame and the pre game atmosphere is dismal. Still, I think they could be an excellent program and team if they can find a way to lure all the local talent.

I once lived down the road from Rutgers (route one corridor for those who know Jersey) in Princeton. The problem with Rutgers is that the route one corridor, though close to NYC and the shore and Princeton, blows chunks. Just a hodge podge of strip malls and suburban sprawl. Traffic! Ugh. It has zero charm or allure.

Reactions: leodisflowers
My daughter is married to a guy who is a huge Rutgers fan and has season tickets. I have been there twice now when Nebraska played there. The stadium is small but really nice. I thought their tunnel walk was better than ours (Yes, tons of teams have tunnel walk video entrances now). But the fans are pretty vocal and were super nice. They do have a huge alumni base and a pretty good fan following considering their lack of success. Tailgating is very lame and the pre game atmosphere is dismal. Still, I think they could be an excellent program and team if they can find a way to lure all the local talent.

I once lived down the road from Rutgers (route one corridor for those who know Jersey) in Princeton. The problem with Rutgers is that the route one corridor, though close to NYC and the shore and Princeton, blows chunks. Just a hodge podge of strip malls and suburban sprawl. Traffic! Ugh. It has zero charm or allure.
This is better than our tunnel walk?

• Haha
Reactions: Dean Pope

Rutgers could have a pretty good setup for tailgating, but they just lack interest. I went two years ago and it was a pretty good time. It was a great game to bring my kids as it isn't so packed and they could move around. They also loved the "Boardwalk" before the game. If they got good again, that could be a real fun spot to watch football.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Rutgers could have a pretty good setup for tailgating, but they just lack interest. I went two years ago and it was a pretty good time. It was a great game to bring my kids as it isn't so packed and they could move around. They also loved the "Boardwalk" before the game. If they got good again, that could be a real fun spot to watch football.
I have been to Purdue, Illinois, NW, Minny, Michigan and Wisconsin for games...Minny and Michigan were just terrible for the pregame stuff. Tailgating was lame the bars were HORRIBLE in Michigan, a little better in Minny.

I have never been to Rutgers but I would have assumed it would be horrible/boring.

At least at Purdue and Illinois they were looking to have fun.

But we need good players from places like New Jersey to become elite again.
True. But if Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State are each able to get two of the best Jersey kids (plus other states) like they have been plus dominate recruiting in their own talent rich states, that leaves too much of a talent gap for the rest of us to overcome.

We need both things to take place at the same time. The elite teams come back to the pack and Nebraska to get A LOT better.

I have been to Purdue, Illinois, NW, Minny, Michigan and Wisconsin for games...Minny and Michigan were just terrible for the pregame stuff. Tailgating was lame the bars were HORRIBLE in Michigan, a little better in Minny.

I have never been to Rutgers but I would have assumed it would be horrible/boring.

At least at Purdue and Illinois they were looking to have fun.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Have been to Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Ohio St, Mich St.

For me had a ball at OSU, MSU, PSU, Wis, Iowa

Took my kids to Maryland and Rutgers and it was perfect as the stadium was about 1/2 or 1/4 full at both

Minny was awful, but the stadium had a good time and Purdue and Michigan were really meh...

I'm glad we are not there, but loved the old Big 12 schools. Also have been to Washington, USC, Oregon and UCLA. Oregon is a great time as is Washington but the So Cal schools suck for pre-game as well. Still had a great time, but meh.

I'm all for tradition and each school doing their own thing, but six minutes worth of ceremonial music? And how many different songs are they using?

Side note: Gretna has a bigger scoreboard.
It wasn't that great, but I will say the game I went to was at night and they had the light show timed with it and they crank their volume up so it was kind of cool at night. The stadium was only about half full, but seemed a lot louder because of the level they play their sound system at.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Have been to Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Ohio St, Mich St.

Took my kids to Maryland and Rutgers and it was perfect as the stadium was about 1/2 or 1/4 full at both

Minny was awful, but the stadium had a good time and Purdue and Michigan were really meh...

I'm glad we are not there, but loved the old Big 12 schools. Also have been to Washington, USC, Oregon and UCLA. Oregon is a great time as is Washington but the So Cal schools suck for pre-game as well. Still had a great time, but meh.
I want to hit up MSU, I have heard nothing but good things, plus that campus is so nice looking.

I remember asking fans at the Minny game "Hey, what are the fun bars to pregame" and they were like "Well, there is a Buffalo Wild Wings". What???

We went to Stub and Herbs, which was pretty cool.

Purdue has that Breakfast Club tradition. And that was a blast!

It wasn't that great, but I will say the game I went to was at night and they had the light show timed with it and they crank their volume up so it was kind of cool at night. The stadium was only about half full, but seemed a lot louder because of the level they play their sound system at.
The volume knobs on Rutgers' sound system goes to 11. That is their secret. Most go only to 10 and Rutgers' go one louder. But they only go to 11 when they need that extra push.

The volume knobs on Rutgers' sound system goes to 11. That is their secret. Most go only to 10 and Rutgers' go one louder. But they only go to 11 when they need that extra push.
Their sound system is loud to the point of obnoxious. It gets really old after a while too since they are constantly blaring music at high decibels to make up for the lack of crowd noise.

I went to our game with Maryland. I thought it was completely lame in just about every way.

Their sound system is loud to the point of obnoxious. It gets really old after a while too since they are constantly blaring music at high decibels to make up for the lack of crowd noise.
One thing I like about our home games, well some of them, is when the announcer & music gets drowned out by our crowd noise. I'm more stodgy and conservative than most I suppose, but I really like when our announcer gives out the down & distance on 3rd & 4th down when we're trying to get a stop. Pretty cool stuff.

One thing I like about our home games, well some of them, is when the announcer & music gets drowned out by our crowd noise. I'm more stodgy and conservative than most I suppose, but I really like when our announcer gives out the down & distance on 3rd & 4th down when we're trying to get a stop. Pretty cool stuff.
I wish he'd just give the down and distance and not IT'S THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD bush league crap.

• Love
Reactions: Huskers123456
I wish he'd just give the down and distance and not IT'S THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD bush league crap.
LOL. 99% of the time I would agree with you on this type of thing but for some strange reason I like it when he says that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT