ADVERTISEMENT

Rut-roh, UCF RB not doing Frost any favors

Giving Auburn the bulletin board material saying they are in for a rude awakening lol.

Also saw an interesting stat. UCF's leading rusher only had 787 yards rushing and 10 rushing touchdowns. That was in 12 games and includes a 96 yard run.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ns-jr-ucf-knights-edge-speed-vs-auburn-tigers
You have to remember that the short passing game in Frost's offense is a run play for him. Short passes to Lindsey and Speilman will be like run plays.

You have to remember that the short passing game in Frost's offense is a run play for him. Short passes to Lindsey and Speilman will be like run plays.

And the 96 yard runs will be like long pass plays.... got it!

Bill Callahan disagreed with Mr. Killins assessment after the 2006 cotton bowl against none other than Auburn -

"Like we talked about all week, the speed in the SEC is just unbelievable. Just unbelievable."

Urban Meyer never had a 1000 yard RB prior to Ohio State. He made some modifications to his O to put in more of.a power game to fit the B10 style...voila...
now it's basically a given he has one each year...maybe Frost will do something similar?

Urban Meyer never had a 1000 yard RB prior to Ohio State. He made some modifications to his O to put in more of.a power game to fit the B10 style...voila...
now it's basically a given he has one each year...maybe Frost will do something similar?

Along this thought I think many casual folks have somewhat convinced themself that Frost will bring back some remnant of the TO offense.

He might, Aaron Taylor had mentioned in his reddit post that Frost wanted sort of a Nebraska-esque inside game and an Oregon-esque outside zone game.

However, Scott has been nothing if not straight forward. He didn't charge up on stage and say "the old days are back", to the contrary he basically said "I think we can get there again, and what I'm really hoping is that the B1G will adjust to what we do" to thunderous applause.

Which if he falls on his face, is his "take what we want" moment ala BC, or "put the stars on players" ala Pelini.

The evidence tells me that Scott doesn't run his QB anymore than Riley/Langsdorf ran TA on a designed plays per game basis. There were at least a few games where I remember RK pointing out on Twitter than pass attempts out numbered rush attempts at half time by UCF.

I'm more than happy with the results Scott has put on the field with other programs and I think he's going to do that here. But I hesitate to say that "run the damn ball" guy is going to be satisfied when Scott so clearly does things differently than what RTDB guy thinks is the only way NU can win.

Along this thought I think many casual folks have somewhat convinced themself that Frost will bring back some remnant of the TO offense.

He might, Aaron Taylor had mentioned in his reddit post that Frost wanted sort of a Nebraska-esque inside game and an Oregon-esque outside zone game.

However, Scott has been nothing if not straight forward. He didn't charge up on stage and say "the old days are back", to the contrary he basically said "I think we can get there again, and what I'm really hoping is that the B1G will adjust to what we do" to thunderous applause.

Which if he falls on his face, is his "take what we want" moment ala BC, or "put the stars on players" ala Pelini.

The evidence tells me that Scott doesn't run his QB anymore than Riley/Langsdorf ran TA on a designed plays per game basis. There were at least a few games where I remember RK pointing out on Twitter than pass attempts out numbered rush attempts at half time by UCF.

I'm more than happy with the results Scott has put on the field with other programs and I think he's going to do that here. But I hesitate to say that "run the damn ball" guy is going to be satisfied when Scott so clearly does things differently than what RTDB guy thinks is the only way NU can win.

They also share the wealth in the running game. A lot of players get touches.

abCczTs.png

Reactions: headcard
Or you can go by facts and see that the UCF qb had more yards on passes that were received 20+ yards down the field, than any qb since they started keeping those stats.

Or you can go by facts and see that the UCF qb had more yards on passes that were received 20+ yards down the field, than any qb since they started keeping those stats.

Also saw an interesting stat. UCF's leading rusher only had 787 yards rushing and 10 rushing touchdowns. That was in 12 games and includes a 96 yard run.

Carries and yards by position in 2017

UCF
RB - 270 for 1367
QB - 112 for 575
WR - 68 for 549
Total 2414

NEB
RB - 298 for 1274 (Oz 493, Wilbon 379, Tre 299)
QB - 44 for -93
WR - 22 for 111
Total Rushing: 1290

UCF
RB - 270 for 1367
QB - 112 for 575
WR - 68 for 549
Total 2414

NEB
QB - 44 for -93
WR - 22 for 111

UCF
RB - 270 for 1367
QB - 112 for 575
WR - 68 for 549
Total 2414

NEB
QB - 44 for -93
WR - 22 for 111

Nebraska sucked running the ball. Stop the presses.

Reactions: jflores

Along that thought...

Meyer didn't "change" his O...he modified it to fit a style of play...it's not like he scrapped what he was doing...Rich Rod failed for a lot of reasons at Michigan and a big one is he didn't adapt to a style of play...He litteraly thought everyone would adjust to hin...Meyer has flourished in the B10 because among many he things he understood the landscape...I have a feeling Frost is more Meyer than Rich Rod

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Surprisingly, our RBs weren't too far behind UCFs in yardage.

WRs should LOVE Frost's offense as they will get touches everywhere!
I wonder if our former players and press with kill Frost for his lack of running back carries going forward?

He also every other year seems to forget the need for the running game.

2015 MSU
2017 Iowa
And your point is what? I hate it when some sort of stupid makes me defend my school's rival. So he lost a couple games while winning a National Championship, dominating a conference and making multiple playoffs.

There are very few things I hate more than giving Ohio credit but are you that delusional that you think pointing out that Meyer hasn't won every game he's coached is actually a point?

And your point is what? I hate it when some sort of stupid makes me defend my school's rival. So he lost a couple games while winning a National Championship, dominating a conference and making multiple playoffs.

There are very few things I hate more than giving Ohio credit but are you that delusional that you think pointing out that Meyer hasn't won every game he's coached is actually a point?

Ellobo, the 2014 season was outstanding, however, Ohio State is good for stubbed toe under Urban Meyer. In both games, take a look at the post-game comments and look at Urban's body of work, when it comes to consistent use and reliance on a power run game.

He gets impatient and it bites him.

He is the best coach with the best program in the conference, but he has his chink in the armor, as well.

2018 should be an interesting race in the Big Ten, after ZERO participates in this year's CFP. Ohio State was not worthy of selection. fwiw

Ellobo, the 2014 season was outstanding, however, Ohio State is good for stubbed toe under Urban Meyer. In both games, take a look at the post-game comments and look at Urban's body of work, when it comes to consistent use and reliance on a power run game.

He gets impatient and it bites him.

He is the best coach with the best program in the conference, but he has his chink in the armor, as well.

2018 should be an interesting race in the Big Ten, after ZERO participates in this year's CFP. Ohio State was not worthy of selection. fwiw
Agree, to a point... but look how often Saban goes undefeated each year... he stubs his toe as well. No one is exempt from toe stubs.

Reactions: ellobo
Agree, to a point... but look how often Saban goes undefeated each year... he stubs his toe as well. No one is exempt from toe stubs.

Saban's knock has been not being able to beat in-state Auburn, when they have a good team. Urban's issues are with his patience towards the run. Prior to arriving in Columbus, he had never fielded a team with an 1K yard back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT