ADVERTISEMENT

Rittenberg doing his best defend - make excuses for the BIG

Yea that's weak, and BS. Fact is neither team was clearly better than a 5-7 Nebraska. I thought both teams would lose, but thought they'd show up. When you look closely at Sparty and Hawks seasons, no one should be shocked at the outcome of those games. Both Iowa and MSU had great seasons, but it is clear they are not great teams. I think it is pretty clear that neither of those two are even the 2nd best team in the BIG.

If Ohio State had actually called good plays against the Spartans they would have been in the playoff, and Ohio State's A game would have humiliated the Tide. Alas, Beck screwed the nation because now we're going to get another Crimson Tide national title, it makes me want to puke.

Nailed it.

Reactions: baseball31ne
But their opponents were much easier, so it was really more like a scrimmage for them.

I don't agree and after watching State and Iowa play yesterday, not sure how anyone could make the argument you just did, unless you were being sarcastic and I missed it.

OSU better match-up against Bama

MSU better match-up against Stanford (Stanford still wins though IMO)

Is what it is though

OSU better match-up against Bama

MSU better match-up against Stanford (Stanford still wins though IMO)

Is what it is though

Indeed. I would just like to avoid hearing about the awesomeness of the SEC and how Nick Saban is the best coach ever and all the other crap we'll hear after Bama cracks open Clemson's skull and feasts on the goop within.

As for Iowa and Michigan State, both were good teams, both maximized their talent, both coaching staffs did a great job, but Michigan state was up against an Alabama team that uses the same template they do, but with the best players booster money can buy, and Iowa was going against a team with a better scheme, better coaches and better players.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
If Ohio State had actually called good plays against the Spartans they would have been in the playoff, and Ohio State's A game would have humiliated the Tide. Alas, Beck screwed the nation because now we're going to get another Crimson Tide national title, it makes me want to puke.

"Humiliated the Tide?"

C'mon man, get real.

"Humiliated the Tide?"

C'mon man, get real.

Last year's game between the two wasn't as close as the scoreboard indicated, once OSU woke up in the second quarter it was dominance from then on out. This year, they wouldn't go in with any fear, they would control the game from the get go. It would have been more than a two score win.

Reactions: SC_'sker

Alabama would have kicked their ass too...

Florida and A/M leave the conference? but yes overall the $EC capitalized has been playing very well in the bowl games this year. I guess that's what happens when you lay an egg last year and get embarrassed you come out and you're upset enough to actually care.

Last year's game between the two wasn't as close as the scoreboard indicated, once OSU woke up in the second quarter it was dominance from then on out. This year, they wouldn't go in with any fear, they would control the game from the get go. It would have been more than a two score win.

Yeah, because Alabama hasn't improved at all since last year. Saying Ohio State would have humiliated Alabama is just silly, after our B1G champion just got stomped by them 38-0.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced Ohio State would have beaten Alabama, but I agree they really pissed away a great opportunity to get back to the Final Four. I'll bet Meyer regrets waiting so long to reign in his "let's get it to playmakers in space" geniuses and start feeding Elliot the damn ball.

The excuse used to be that the Big 10 teams had too much time off which left them at a disadvantage when they got embarrassed during bowl season due to lack of a Champ game. Now its that 27 days isn't enough time to prepare?
Nebraska also had an epic battle with Michigan State, weren't they able to win 1 week later?
Iowa was mauled by Tennessee last year and didn't play in the Champ game perhaps due to their epic battle with Nebraska the day after Thanksgiving?

The funny thing is that the most delusional fanbase in the history of college football will start stating this epic battle nonsense as a fact. In reality, there are many teams that would bitch slap Iowa because they are simply MUCH better than Iowa. People that watch college football knew that Iowa didn't pass the eyeball test and it was a matter of time before they were exposed. It should have been Nebraska but Tommy played a horrible game. They will go back to 7-5 next year with high expectations and a target on their back although their schedule remains easy.

It's hard to blame Beck when he doesn't call the plays. As far as beating down the tide, it probably wouldn't have happened. OSU would have had a chance because their talent level is as good as any team, but the Bama defense is much better this year also. OSU also couldn't stretch the field all year. They didn't have a deep threat like last year. The two best teams are in the championship.

I think ohio state would have done better against bama, but still would get beat by 3 touchdowns.

I don't know how OSU would have done against Bama- in my mind its a toss up game. They are imo far and away the best team in the B1G but whoever was calling plays in that MSU game really screwed them over.

Reactions: newAD
The SEC has dominated college football for a decade and yet, some folks still try to craft a terrible argument against it. Even if Clemson wins, there is absolutely no denying the the current power of that conference vs all others. It sucks, but it's real.....and obvious. Well, obvious to the non-oblivious.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
I'm not buying that gassed excuse for a second. The energy leading up to the Rose Bowl was electric, as it should have been. Ball had been bouncing in Iowa's favor all season, and that finally stopped Jan. 1st. They got exposed big time.

MSU just ran into a Saban coached Alabama team, much like the 2011 Cap One Bowl.

The SEC has dominated college football for a decade and yet, some folks still try to craft a terrible argument against it. Even if Clemson wins, there is absolutely no denying the the current power of that conference vs all others. It sucks, but it's real.....and obvious. Well, obvious to the non-oblivious.
The SEC West as a division has been the most dominant. The SEC East has been average for awhile. Missouri couldn't win the Big 12, but has been one of the best teams in the East. The other conferences are catching up. The BIG will only get better at the top. OSU is as talented as anyone and Michigan will be there soon on a talent level. Both teams also have two of the best coaches in the country. MSU has also capitalized on their recent success with better recruiting and Franklin is going to load up with talent at PSU soon without the restrictions. The BIG East might turn into a SEC West type of divison soon.

It's hard to argue with how the SEC has dominated for the last decade or so. I think most people would agree they have been the best football conference for awhile. What pisses me off, though, is the absolute hard-on ESPN has for them. It makes sense because of the investment in the SEC Network and all, and again they are the best football conference. But every time I hear commentator minimize a loss by an SEC team by saying "their only loss was to another SEC team," I want to punch something.

If you think that the Top 3 are anything other than OSU, MSU, and Iowa, in that order, then you're a retard.
I would've had Michigan, PSU and Nebraska ahead of Iowa. You guys were thoroughly outplayed in Lincoln.

Closet SEC fans are funny. Why don't ya get on amazon and order that roll tide bumper sticker you've had your eye on?

Some of us live in reality and aren't completely ignorant when it comes to football. I bet you're one of the ones that talked sh*t all year about the SEC and now that gigantic helping of crow you're choking on sux....

I don't think that anybody is disputing that the SEC is the best conference overall, it's just that it's not as big of a gap as many say it is. SEC West got skullhumped last year and Alabama rode a favorable schedule to the playoff and was gifted a matchup that favored them greatly. This playoff (that they will likely win) just so happens to have not included a certain fellow one loss team (with a better loss), that happened to have ripped the tide to shreds last year to become national champions.

If tOSU would've faced bama this year in the playoff, they probably win by 2 scores.

Reactions: mothmonsterman
Some of us live in reality and aren't completely ignorant when it comes to football. I bet you're one of the ones that talked sh*t all year about the SEC and now that gigantic helping of crow you're choking on sux....

Also a closet Hawkeye fan? Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT