ADVERTISEMENT

Riley's Biggest Mistake

Camcon2016

Walk On
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
Allowing us to get into a first year rebuild in his third year is just plain stupid. He clearly doesn't understand our culture and doesn't have the foresight we need from our coach. After graduating 30 seniors he basically scrapped the defense and offense. We now look like it is our first year in D1 football. I have changed my mind on giving him more time since a new coach would only set us back 1 year

Reactions: t7w0c1
Allowing us to get into a first year rebuild in his third year is just plain stupid. He clearly doesn't understand our culture and doesn't have the foresight we need from our coach. After graduating 30 seniors he basically scrapped the defense and offense. We now look like it is our first year in D1 football. I have changed my mind on giving him more time since a new coach would only set us back 1 year
Scott Frost would get us a Conference title for the foreseeable future, with a team full of Freshmen walk-ons.

He should have cleaned house and got rid of all the Bobots from day one. Instead of babying them, he needed to be tougher and go with a my way or the highway attitude. I also think he should have at least explored some juco options to fill in the holes he had on this team. Sounds like they are at least exploring that option now. May be too late though.

Agree with much of this. He should have implemented his offense day one and taken the hits early.

But what culture doesn't he understand?

Agree with much of this. He should have implemented his offense day one and taken the hits early.

But what culture doesn't he understand?
I guess I was referring to the fact that we aren't going to give him the time that most other schools would. Expectations might have been a better word

No JUCOS is a bigger mistake than some realize. Hell, Pelini would have had half the tenure he had here without JUCOs like David( who single handedly turned games for us) Insane for NU not to have them. Would they have gotten us to OSU level? Hell no, but we wouldn’t have lost to NIU, and probably beat Wisconsin last year with one or two good ones. Just stupid.

He should have cleaned house and got rid of all the Bobots from day one. Instead of babying them, he needed to be tougher and go with a my way or the highway attitude. I also think he should have at least explored some juco options to fill in the holes he had on this team. Sounds like they are at least exploring that option now. May be too late though.
Your right on with all of that. Jucos would have helped maintain my 9 win minimum while he was slowly buildin

Cleaning house would have put us at 3 wins the first two years. Maybe.

Armstrong would never have played another down. The guy couldnt hit the broadside of a barn.

He would never have made year three if he had done that.

Now... If you said he should never have brought banker here and should have hired recruiters at all coaching positions? Yeah... Ok... I'm good with that.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
The fact that he brought his middle of the pack assistants with him day one should have said something too - several now unemployed and others that should be.

...just adding.

Truth is I hope we retain both williams due to their recruiting prowess. Going backwards on that front will not be helpful.

Reactions: headcard
I'm not sure on specifics, but wasn't there an issue with Riley letting some of the players get away with a lot of shit his first year, instead of laying down the law?

How do you know how much time a new coach will set us back? This is why this board is barely readable recently. Just stupidity after stupidity after stupidity. People claiming to know things they can't possibly know. What does it even mean to say a new coach would only set us back 1 year anyway? We shouldn't expect a bowl game in the 1st year? And then we would be expected to win the West Division in his 2nd year? If not, then what would the expectations be in the 2nd year since it would "only set us back 1 year."

Last edited:
Reactions: xrugger and TOMHP
My opinions, for what they are worth.

He has recruited JC talent in the past so this was not a new concept. I think he was told he had enough time to build it with good recruiting and not a quick fix of hit and miss JC. Yea, it is easy to remember the ones that made an impact but others did not and they don't stick around long.

The team was fragile when he came in, duh. He kept Armstrong as the QB and bringing in a JC was the only option and the team would have been even a bigger mess than it was. The cupboard was completely bare in that area. Go with the upper class man, adapt to his talents which I think he actually did. It is just taking a long time and he used a lot of patience getting new talent in the loop. Again, I think it was due to the fact he was made aware that there was no immediate danger there and he needed to build it correctly.

The assistant coaches was a big deal. Some of the best bolted. If memory serves correctly the DB coach already on staff didn't get paid as much as new assistants and left. I can't see why everyone thinks Williams X 2 are so great. Maybe they are good recruiters, maybe they are good coaches but I personally don't see a great product from our WR's and DB's right now and these are highly regarded kids. Good talkers but not so great of producers.

Riley understood the culture of Nebraska just fine. He knew it was known for tough, smash mouth football and all of the traditions. He thought he could implement his pro style in a few years he would have the pipeline starting to fill up with talent. While better, it really never met the expectations of too many fans who just want to run the option and run the ball 9 out of 10 plays. I could see what he was trying to do offensively and where he was going, he just isn't there yet. A transfer QB (there is almost your JC) and two young guys is a start that he will point to.

I just feel like Riley made some bad moves and then reacted when things didn't go well. Hughes was a failure that set us back and now a change in D that is not going too well. Its like he thinks if he makes enough changes and tweaks, it will look good and it will indicate a willingness to change and made progress. It was like he was looking for quick fixes while all along, doing things for long term solutions.

There is a good stockpile of talent, but not great by any means. Whatever happens, the next few years could be good to high average.

How do you know how much time a new coach will set us back? This is why this board is barely readable recently. Just stupidity after stupidity after stupidity. People claiming to know things they can't possibly know. What does it even mean to say a new coach would only set us back 1 year anyway? We shouldn't expect a bowl game in the 1st year? And then we would be expected to win the West Division in his 2nd year? If not, then what would the expectations be in the 2nd year since it would "only set us back 1 year."
Sir, I don't know for sure. Just stating my stupid personal opinion. My point was that we look like a team with a first year head coach. A doubt that a better first year head coach would set us back further than we are right now

Sir, I don't know for sure. Just stating my stupid personal opinion. My point was that we look like a team with a first year head coach. A doubt that a better first year head coach would set us back further than we are right now
Well, you can doubt or think all you want. The truth is nobody knows or can know what a new coach would do especially since nobody knows who that person would be at this point, so it's ridiculous to come up with specific time periods that a new coach would set us back.

My opinions, for what they are worth.

He has recruited JC talent in the past so this was not a new concept. I think he was told he had enough time to build it with good recruiting and not a quick fix of hit and miss JC. Yea, it is easy to remember the ones that made an impact but others did not and they don't stick around long.

The team was fragile when he came in, duh. He kept Armstrong as the QB and bringing in a JC was the only option and the team would have been even a bigger mess than it was. The cupboard was completely bare in that area. Go with the upper class man, adapt to his talents which I think he actually did. It is just taking a long time and he used a lot of patience getting new talent in the loop. Again, I think it was due to the fact he was made aware that there was no immediate danger there and he needed to build it correctly.

The assistant coaches was a big deal. Some of the best bolted. If memory serves correctly the DB coach already on staff didn't get paid as much as new assistants and left. I can't see why everyone thinks Williams X 2 are so great. Maybe they are good recruiters, maybe they are good coaches but I personally don't see a great product from our WR's and DB's right now and these are highly regarded kids. Good talkers but not so great of producers.

Riley understood the culture of Nebraska just fine. He knew it was known for tough, smash mouth football and all of the traditions. He thought he could implement his pro style in a few years he would have the pipeline starting to fill up with talent. While better, it really never met the expectations of too many fans who just want to run the option and run the ball 9 out of 10 plays. I could see what he was trying to do offensively and where he was going, he just isn't there yet. A transfer QB (there is almost your JC) and two young guys is a start that he will point to.

I just feel like Riley made some bad moves and then reacted when things didn't go well. Hughes was a failure that set us back and now a change in D that is not going too well. Its like he thinks if he makes enough changes and tweaks, it will look good and it will indicate a willingness to change and made progress. It was like he was looking for quick fixes while all along, doing things for long term solutions.

There is a good stockpile of talent, but not great by any means. Whatever happens, the next few years could be good to high average.

We just had a freshman receiver go for 200 yards against osu. If that doesnt show you how good of a coach the wr williams is I dont know what will. We've redshirted and held back talent. It doesnt happen overnight.

As for the db williams... He's a recruiter and our good dbs are young. It takes time and the guy was literally just hired. The guy brings in so much talent the rest is gravy... Or at least is dealable.

Our problem is the front seven on defense. Has been for years. Young dbs get exposed with no pass rush and no run defense. Sound familiar?

We just had a freshman receiver go for 200 yards against osu. If that doesnt show you how good of a coach the wr williams is I dont know what will. We've redshirted and held back talent. It doesnt happen overnight.

As for the db williams... He's a recruiter and our good dbs are young. It takes time and the guy was literally just hired. The guy brings in so much talent the rest is gravy... Or at least is dealable.

Our problem is the front seven on defense. Has been for years. Young dbs get exposed with no pass rush and no run defense. Sound familiar?

Are you not counting drops, no ability to get separation against Wisconsin that has been pointed out by analysts. DB's have terrible footwork, get turned around and don't tackle well. In this O there should be ample opportunity to get some yards. So who is being held back BTW?

I agree our front 7 is not a group of AA but if you use the excuse they are young, it doesn't happen overnight, the coach just got here, etc, you have to give the same right of way to the entire team and give everyone more time.

Reactions: TFrazier
Im coming from the assumption that riley is gone.

Because I dont see any scenario where he stays. Too much smoke... So there is a fire.

Williamses are doing their job at this point.. They should be retained. Frankly if that holds our class together and helps improve it they should get a raise.

I should add... Any db will get exposed with a bad front seven much less a young one.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Your right on with all of that. Jucos would have helped maintain my 9 win minimum while he was slowly buildin
Yes, and your 9 win minimum is what most of us care about. We all miss the days when Bo’s assistants screamed “9 wins, baby!” in the locker room.

...And yes I am counting drops to an extent. Our oline sucks which hurts timing and accuracy. Also... What part of "young" is too complicated. Our good receiver talent is young...

Riley's biggest mistake is simply he is not a good coach. He was not good when we hired him and he has remained a poor coach.

Biggest mistakes:

Nearly the entire 2015 season until the bowl game. Losing the last game of the 2016 season by 30 points to a team with an absolutely horrid offense and NIU in 2017.

With this current coaching regime...it is very hard to answer the original question because there are so many choices to pick from. Winking

A new coach won't set us back. The only thing that would set us back is keeping Riley another year.

Our corners suck. Our receivers are poorly coached. Not worth keeping either of them.

Our receivers had a redshirt freshman go for 200 yards against a top ten team. Thats very compareable to lawrence Phillips going for 100 yards as a true freshman against ucla...

If anything it is more impressive because ucla has never been as good as osu right now.

Our talent at receiver is all young so it will be hit or miss... no way can you day he cant coach. Flat out none.

The db williams has barely been here for you to judge his coaching. His recruiting is top notch. The rest doesnt change overnight. Same argument goes with diaco for that matter minus the recruiting.

You can talk about bad coaching on our team all you want but it is the usual suspects -- the lines and front seven on d.

When you get manhandled you lose.

Too many OSU guys on staff to start - especially on D. Should have spent big money Year 1 to get a DC that could handle the job and recruit. I think that would have helped the culture as well. And the guy he has coaching Oline has proven to be incompetent - but sill employed. Should have been gone after Year 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT