ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule's first season

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
His first season at Temple and Baylor were bad, but they showed significant improvement in year 2 and year 3. I believe the same will hold true here as well.

Reactions: BleedRed78
groundhog-day-punch.gif

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
We should at least have an understanding of how these things work by now. We all wish we would have won 10 games this year. But history is pretty clear that years 2-4 show you what you have in a coach. They need to show improvement in year two and by year three, four at the latest, you know what you have in a coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Agree. And I think we beat Iowa next week and get to a bowl. That happens and people will relax a bit.

The last 3 games have sucked, no doubt... But from day 1 of Rhule taking over, I'd considered 6 wins a successful season. There have been some extremely disappointing games along the way (CO, MN, MSU, Maryland, now Wiscy), but I still feel like if we can get to a bowl, it's still a great first year for him.

Even if the close wins haven't come yet, there has been a ton of growth this year. Our youth has obtained invaluable experience and you can tell the psyche of this team has improved. Next year if a few bounces go our way, and we can manage the roster well in the off-season, 9+ wins is very attainable.

Reactions: moralvictories
We will have to wait and see, no way to predict. Satterfield looked like a genius last night the first two drives. If we find a QB, heal up, the freshmen get more experience and we get some JC/portal help can our offense start to look like a D1 offense? Or is the offense collection of coaches incompetent? Will the mindset that aw shucks, turnovers are OK change, or are turnovers just "who we are"? Penalties have been much better this year.

Will another year in our special teams schemes fix what is now a team liability? Especially the punt teams? Or is Foley another highly-paid Rhule crony in the mould of Bruce Reed?

Will the defense get more young and faster talent and continue to improve an already decent unit?

Will the incredible amount of money spent on S&C, nutrition, recovery, sports psychology, and whatever the rest of Rhule's staff do begin to bear fruit? Or will it become apparent coaches with a lot less (e.g, Northwestern, Oregon St.) can coach up better teams?

Does Rhule have the same passion after Carolina and the scrutiny here to perform the miracles he did at Temple and Baylor? Or is he going to go through the motions for a few years as he builds generational wealth?

We'll see...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT