ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule support staff

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
A number of assistants were named over the last couple days and are listed on the official Nebraska Athletics Football Coaches page. Looks like a lot of experience with some of the support guys. I noticed Ron Brown was retained as was Austin Whipple. His bio says he is the son of Mark Whipple, OC and QB coach. They need to change that obviously.

One guy I noticed was the Assistant to the Head Coach, Jarrett Wishon who has a law enforcement background. Started me thinking I hope he doesn't surf message boards, figures out names of people who bag on Rhule, then confronts them in hotel basements.

Jarrett Wishon is in his first season at Nebraska in 2023, serving as the Huskers’ assistant to the head coach. Wishon spent the 2022 season as the assistant to the head coach on Matt Rhule’s Carolina Panthers staff.

Wishon returned to football after a long career in law enforcement. He was a special agent and criminal investigator with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from 2014 until joining the Panthers in March of 2022. Prior to his work with the ATF, Wishon was a police detective for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department for nine years from 2005 to 2014.

Wishon’s first coaching role was as a student assistant working with the offense at Western Carolina in 2005. He played football for Western Carolina, appearing in 30 games from 2002 to 2004. Wishon earned his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice/law enforcement administration from Western Carolina in 2005.

Reactions: headcard
A number of assistants were named over the last couple days and are listed on the official Nebraska Athletics Football Coaches page. Looks like a lot of experience with some of the support guys. I noticed Ron Brown was retained as was Austin Whipple. His bio says he is the son of Mark Whipple, OC and QB coach. They need to change that obviously.

One guy I noticed was the Assistant to the Head Coach, Jarrett Wishon who has a law enforcement background. Started me thinking I hope he doesn't surf message boards, figures out names of people who bag on Rhule, then confronts them in hotel basements.

Jarrett Wishon is in his first season at Nebraska in 2023, serving as the Huskers’ assistant to the head coach. Wishon spent the 2022 season as the assistant to the head coach on Matt Rhule’s Carolina Panthers staff.

Wishon returned to football after a long career in law enforcement. He was a special agent and criminal investigator with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from 2014 until joining the Panthers in March of 2022. Prior to his work with the ATF, Wishon was a police detective for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department for nine years from 2005 to 2014.

Wishon’s first coaching role was as a student assistant working with the offense at Western Carolina in 2005. He played football for Western Carolina, appearing in 30 games from 2002 to 2004. Wishon earned his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice/law enforcement administration from Western Carolina in 2005.
I don't blame anyone for getting out of the law enforcement business these days.

Reading everyone listed in the Directory....sure seems like support staff has increased.
It appears so. But I couldn't figure out whether the staff is more bloated, or NU just took the time to list all the key people on their website this time around. It could also be in the mad dash to get recruiting done Rhule brought in his people who duplicate the functions of people already here (Guinta/Hales) and when things settle out, some of the duplicates (Frost's people like Guinta and Austin Whipple) may be let go in favor of Rhule's people.

Sean Padden - General Manager

He worked in the private sector at Kitman Labs before rejoining Rhule. Before joining Rhule’s Temple staff, Padden was a corporate account manager at Bentley Systems for three years and an institutional representative for Forest Pharmaceuticals for nearly six years.

We're on the road back baby!

He worked in the private sector at Kitman Labs before rejoining Rhule. Before joining Rhule’s Temple staff, Padden was a corporate account manager at Bentley Systems for three years and an institutional representative for Forest Pharmaceuticals for nearly six years.

Better football by better chemistry

You know what those guys do for fun...drink, shoot guns and do drugs...then they try to stop the rest of us!
Um maybe they shoot guns and drink things but IF they do drugs and get caught they suffer the same consequences as anyone else. IF the ATF shows up at your door you’re suspected of a helluva lot worse than smokin a little weed

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Sign the boys up for some "performance enhancing vitamins" !

Reactions: WHCSC

I would think Rhule is using the time he has before the next recruiting period opens up after the bowls to complete his staff meaning all of them - assistant coaches (likely done already) and support (maybe some more positions to be filled).

Phil Simpson intrigues me. Another high school coach, Bob Wagner from Arlington Martin HS in Texas, isn't listed on the page. Not yet, at least.

From Huskers.com:

Phil Simpson is in his first season as a defensive quality control coach with the Cornhuskers in 2023. Simpson came to Nebraska after coaching high school football in Florida.

Simpson was the head coach at Homestead High School for four seasons from 2019 to 2022. In his final season, Simpson led Homestead to the 2022 Class 3M state championship game, the school’s first state title game. The Broncos went 23-4 over Simpson’s final two seasons, and he was named the Miami Herald Coach of the Year in 2021.

Simpson coached at Southridge High School for four seasons from 2015 to 2018, serving as the defensive line coach in his first year before being promoted to defensive coordinator for his final three seasons. He helped the Spartans to a state championship in 2016. Simpson also coached at Palmetto High School for one season.

Simpson was a defensive lineman at Temple from 2004 to 2007. Rhule was on the Owl staff for Simpson’s final two seasons, including the 2006 season as Simpson’s defensive line coach. Simpson played in 24 games at Temple, recording 39 tackles.

Last edited:
The most interesting is actually Sean’s title: General Manager.

Looks like Rhule has divided the staff into coaching operations and off-the-field/back office/recruiting areas.

You either choose and try to control a government you can live with or you end up like China or Russia. Worse yet maybe you get Venezuela.
fortunately for Americans, money makes 99% of government go away

the great insulator

• Love
Reactions: Dylman
How about from God Himself - Romans 13.

We're not called to love government. But we are called to respect and appreciate it.
probably one of the countless edits made by establishment-types who wanted to abolish the Bible altogether but went the "can't beat 'em, join 'em (and slowly steer 'em in my direction)" route

a little too ironic the Roman way of governing prevailed on the back of said Book, no?

government subversion is not new

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Just a humorous observation, nothing more and no meaning intended. We've had a golf instructor on the staff before. Now we've got a former pill pusher on the staff (previously a pharma salesman).

Reactions: WHCSC
Um maybe they shoot guns and drink things but IF they do drugs and get caught they suffer the same consequences as anyone else. IF the ATF shows up at your door you’re suspected of a helluva lot worse than smokin a little weed
So, you you are not super familiar with humor?

That’s one guy I can’t listen to. I’m sure he’s a bright guy but something about him grates on my nerves.
I haven't listened to that moron in 10 years. I know he's said the rank-and-file FBI are all good people. He needs to get a ****ing clue, the organization is infested with people who break the law and **** people over on a daily basis.

Phil Simpson intrigues me. Another high school coach, Bob Wagner from Arlington Martin HS in Texas, isn't listed on the page. Not yet, at least.

From Huskers.com:

Phil Simpson is in his first season as a defensive quality control coach with the Cornhuskers in 2023. Simpson came to Nebraska after coaching high school football in Florida.

Simpson was the head coach at Homestead High School for four seasons from 2019 to 2022. In his final season, Simpson led Homestead to the 2022 Class 3M state championship game, the school’s first state title game. The Broncos went 23-4 over Simpson’s final two seasons, and he was named the Miami Herald Coach of the Year in 2021.

Simpson coached at Southridge High School for four seasons from 2015 to 2018, serving as the defensive line coach in his first year before being promoted to defensive coordinator for his final three seasons. He helped the Spartans to a state championship in 2016. Simpson also coached at Palmetto High School for one season.

Simpson was a defensive lineman at Temple from 2004 to 2007. Rhule was on the Owl staff for Simpson’s final two seasons, including the 2006 season as Simpson’s defensive line coach. Simpson played in 24 games at Temple, recording 39 tackles.
I was wondering about that Bob Wager (Wagner) as well. Saw someone else said he isnt on the staff as of now.

Reading everyone listed in the Directory....sure seems like support staff has increased.
And the salaries. A couple of these guys are making north of $200,000. For doing what exactly?

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on Trev's announcement that they are ending the donation requirement to buy season tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT