ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule Scrimmage Presser 8/12

Oct 7, 2012

Cliffs:

-Betts gone, heart wasn’t in it

-Defense dominated the day. Offense needs to clean up procedural mistakes. Kicking game missed some FGs today, need to get that fixed

-Congratulated IGC for graduating today, so wasn’t in attendance for the scrimmage. 4 older guys are good WRs. They will need young guys to step up this year, a lot of talent but they need to grow

-Emmett Johnson has been a bright spot of camp

-Feels they are deep on Defense right now

-Ball security: last time Huskers had a positive turnover margin was 2017, need to continue working on ball security. Getting better. 1 takeaway today, Reimer got an interception

-On the Arik Gilbert waiver: I’ll be really disappointed if he doesn’t get it. “If he doesn’t get it, the waiver should not exist.”

On the surface Betts quitting was a b.s. move and you could see the frustration on Rhule’s face and hear it in his voice. Kid made a commitment and quits 2-3 weeks before the season starts? WTH? We don’t know what’s going on with him personally and maybe more comes out on this that puts it all in perspective, but it’s a pretty big blow, no doubt. Hopefully there is enough talent to step up right now. There WILL be adversity.

On the surface Betts quitting was a b.s. move and you could see the frustration on Rhule’s face and hear it in his voice. Kid made a commitment and quits 2-3 weeks before the season starts? WTH? We don’t know what’s going on with him personally and maybe more comes out on this that puts it all in perspective, but it’s a pretty big blow, no doubt. Hopefully there is enough talent to step up right now. There WILL be adversity.
I don’t get why it matters. He was non existent and it’s not like we passed on others to bring him back. I could understand if we cleared space for him, etc…

Reactions: king_kong_
It's just another day in the trials and tribulations of being a Husker fan. We've been through a ton of crap over the last 20 years and continue to have to try to bounce back to respectability through one adversity after another.

Yes, we've all been bitterly disappointed over the years, but we keep hanging in there. Hopefully, one day our perserverance will be repaid. But it is really trying...

I don’t get why it matters. He was non existent and it’s not like we passed on others to bring him back. I could understand if we cleared space for him, etc…
It matters in that he was taking practice reps when someone else could’ve been. It matters in that the kid has a ton of talent and Matt was wanting it to work out, not just for the team but for the kid. It’s a waste of talent.

It's just another day in the trials and tribulations of being a Husker fan. We've been through a ton of crap over the last 20 years and continue to have to try to bounce back to respectability through one adversity after another.

Yes, we've all been bitterly disappointed over the years, but we keep hanging in there. Hopefully, one day our perserverance will be repaid. But it is really trying...
Go to the Day by Day documentary was very good..

Something the trolls on the board teams that post on this site will never get to experience and can remain jealous of Nebraska dynasty…

Something the trolls on the board teams that post on this site will never get to experience and can remain jealous of Nebraska dynasty…
You and I and the rest of the old timers lived it, didn't we scarlet?

I thought by the early 90's we would never live the golden era again, yet, we did.

I'd love to revisit that era.

Wife and I just got back from it. It’s crazy, with all the adversity the 94 Team faced that they won the Natty. Losing Tommy, Brook’s collapsed lung. Makes you appreciate that era even more. Kids these days can’t handle it.

Last edited:
This- let’s just start with this. I think they can be even in new B1G but it’s going to take a couple more recruiting cycles.
IMO there’s plenty of talent on the roster already. My reason for anything less than 9 wins is the complete change in systems and staff. New QB as well. Maybe a top 5 QB makes a big difference in a coming cycle but we’ve got enough talent to win now. People are really minimizing the change in systems way too much.

Have to adjust to a new era of concussions, mental health, more options outside of college, free transfers, NIL recruiting, The worry I have is pretending we CAN be a development U and still win when guys might quit on the spot or transfer at any time. There is even more of a premium on elite talent, and quick development to get kids on the field as soon as possible. You would think recruiting Nebraska would alleviate some of the transfers but our best in state recruits have either quit or balled out and transferred to better teams. :(

Have to adjust to a new era of concussions, mental health, more options outside of college, free transfers, NIL recruiting, The worry I have is pretending we CAN be a development U and still win when guys might quit on the spot or transfer at any time. There is even more of a premium on elite talent, and quick development to get kids on the field as soon as possible. You would think recruiting Nebraska would alleviate some of the transfers but our best in state recruits have either quit or balled out and transferred to better teams. :(
Can you do us all a favor and transfer to another board?

You and I and the rest of the old timers lived it, didn't we scarlet?

I thought by the early 90's we would never live the golden era again, yet, we did.

I'd love to revisit that era.
I was young enough and fortunate enough to be alive and experience the greatest team in history.

I was a 6 YO, in Memorial Stadium, as we backhanded the Sun Devils in '95.

I guess I'm an old timer now. Make room @scarletred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Before people post crap about Betts they should step back and take a breath. Some of these kids since they were 12 years old have been playing football and doing all the weights, and off season training for hours everyday. Once they get to high school it amps up even more, they spend a hell of a lot more time working out, practice, watching film, studying playbook than the time they are required to spend in class.

After 6 to 10 years of devoting yourself to 4-10 hours a day to a sport there comes a time where you do lose your passion for it. I have kids who played baseball and softball and for most kids after high school they never want to set foot on a field again. All I am saying is I have empathy for Betts and if he is burnt out and doesnt have the heart for it anymore, good for him and more power to him. It takes a toll.

I was young enough and fortunate enough to be alive and experience the greatest team in history.

I was a 6 YO, in Memorial Stadium, as we backhanded the Sun Devils in '95.

I guess I'm an old timer now. Make room @scarletred.
I was a 17 year old kid living in Virginia in 1970 when the Huskers won their first national titile.
You're about 33 years too late. Huskers had already won 3 natty's by '95.

When I refer to "oldtimers", I'm talking about the guys like scarlet and some others that were Husker fans
when it ALL STARTED in 1962.

My daughter is 10 years older than you and I wouldn't be caught dead referring to her as an "oldtimer." She was flirting in class with Brook Berringer for most of the year. His smile just melted her.

My wife had the hots for Vince Ferragamo in 1975 and carried his small team picture in her wallet.
She's an older-type fan. Vince was a really good looking dude.

Later in 1973 she got hit on by Tony Davis at an end of the season type basketball game.
She told him to get lost in front of all his football buddies. LOL

You don't want to get the old-timers talking about some of the stuff we've seen and heard over the last 61 years.

Last edited:
I was a 17 year old kid living in Virginia in 1970 when the Huskers won their first national titile.

When I refer to "oldtimers", I'm talking about the guys like scarlet and some others that were Husker fans

My daughter is 10 years older than you and I wouldn't be caught dead referring to her as an "oldtimer." She was flirting in class with Brook Berringer for most of the year. His smile just melted her.

My wife had the hots for Vince Ferragamo in 1975 and carried his small team picture in her wallet.

Later in 1973 she got hit on by Tony Davis at an end of the season type basketball game.

You don't want to get the old-timers talking about some of the stuff we've seen and heard over the last 61 years.
Yea some of us old timers aren’t sold on the 95 team being the best Nebraska team of all time when 71 beat the 2,3,4 teams on the country at seasons end which no one still hasn’t done even in the new playoff system…

Vince the Prince Ferragamo.

As I recall he had to do a lot of school work to get eligible again just seems strange that a guy would go through all of that and then quit three weeks before the season starts. I’m going to assume a positive explanation in that he saw the talent in the receiver room and didn’t think he would be able to make the field.

Yea some of us old timers aren’t sold on the 95 team being the best Nebraska team of all time when 71 beat the 2,3,4 teams on the country at seasons end which no one still hasn’t done even in the new playoff system…
I remember the opener in'71 against Oregon. My buddy and I took a bus down the night before because neither had a dependable car, stayed in some flea-bag hotel a few blocks away from the stadium, bought some scalped tickets and proceeded to watch NU dismantle a really good Oregon team.

They were led on offense by QB Dan Fouts and a RB named Bobby Moore, aka, Ahmad Rashad. Tom Graham was one of their LBers. 34-7 and it was no contest.

That was a team that did not believe it could lose. The Immovable Object.

I remember the opener in'71 against Oregon. My buddy and I took a bus down the night before because neither had a dependable car, stayed in some flea-bag hotel a few blocks away from the stadium, bought some scalped tickets and proceeded to watch NU dismantle a really good Oregon team.

They were led on offense by QB Dan Fouts and a RB named Bobby Moore, aka, Ahmad Rashad. Tom Graham was one of their LBers. 34-7 and it was no contest.
T

Interesting comment that the 71 team did not believe it could lose. As a fan I had that same belief for the longest time. When asked how many points I wanted in a friendly wager, to me that was an insult. It inferred you thought there was a chance we could lose. I never took points. I think it was a loss at OU 35-3 or something like that when I realized our team was no longer unbeatable.

What was the name of that hotel? I think I stayed there during a state bball tournament.

Interesting comment that the 71 team did not believe it could lose. As a fan I had that same belief for the longest time. When asked how many points I wanted in a friendly wager, to me that was an insult. It inferred you thought there was a chance we could lose. I never took points. I think it was a loss at OU 35-3 or something like that when I realized our team was no longer unbeatable.
I don't think the thought of losing ever crossed that 1971 teams mind. You realize I am talking about one specific year, right?
Without looking, I'm damn sure NU never lost to OU 35-3. I remember a 38-7 ass whipping, but not the 35-3?

I really don't follow what you mean when you say "it inferred you thought there was a chance we could lose"?? I'm not sure what you're talking about taking points as it refers to the 1971 team.

Sorry but your post doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that?

As I recall he had to do a lot of school work to get eligible again just seems strange that a guy would go through all of that and then quit three weeks before the season starts. I’m going to assume a positive explanation in that he saw the talent in the receiver room and didn’t think he would be able to make the field.
It’s a mental and physical grind. He wanted out. Just didn’t have the mental make up for it. not condemning the kid. It’s his life. I wonder if he will regret it one day.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT