ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Jonathan Smith is MSU's top candidate

phoenix4nu

Offensive Coordinator
May 10, 2009
"Michigan State, in the marketplace to replace Mel Tucker since Tucker was fired in September for bringing 'public disrespect, contempt and ridicule' upon the university, has Oregon State head coach Jonathan Smith as their top target to take over the Spartans program."

Jonathan Smith

He can do better
Where? While a good coach I don't think a truly top team would hire him so he has two choices,

stay at alma mater and get paid well and live the easy life

or

get $100 million from MSU to lose games for 3-5 years before getting fired

just depends on where he is at in his career and how long he wants to coach.

Reactions: arf_man
Frost was a total bust and I’m glad he’s gone, but I do get why Moos made the hire. Frost was going to get a Power 5 job that year even if it wasn’t at NU. Riley was just a total head-scratcher.
I do think Riley is a great X’s and O’s Coach but probably not the kind of recruiter he needed to be. He would have had back to back bowl games if not for that clown AD forcing him to can Banker. Not a great fit at NU but the program was so toxic at that point that they might have had trouble getting a better guy. Harvey, Eichorst, TO, Hawks, Solichistas, Bolievers, Boleavers. What a mess. I think we’re mostly on the same page now which should help if we can win a few more games next year.

Smith is a good coach, some of it is smoke and mirrors, basically they did not beat anyone at all this year but he still has a nice record. The only appealing thing about MSU is the money. But that would be enough for me. I would personally HOPE to win a NC but I would not base my coaching career around it. I would first base it around financial security and freedom.

Reactions: cornhustler
Smith is a good coach, some of it is smoke and mirrors, basically they did not beat anyone at all this year but he still has a nice record. The only appealing thing about MSU is the money. But that would be enough for me. I would personally HOPE to win a NC but I would not base my coaching career around it. I would first base it around financial security and freedom.
The PAC 12 was a tough conference. Finishing above 0.500 in the PAC 12 is actually pretty impressive.

His win against Oregon last year was pretty nice.

He has 2 wins against teams that were ranked at the time of playing them this year. Has given tons of good teams fits as well.

I won't be shocked if the game against Oregon is 1 possession.

Considering their recruiting classes look similar to Illinois, I'd say he's done quite a lot with very little

His win against Oregon last year was pretty nice.

He has 2 wins against teams that were ranked at the time of playing them this year. Has given tons of good teams fits as well.

I won't be shocked if the game against Oregon is 1 possession.

Considering their recruiting classes look similar to Illinois, I'd say he's done quite a lot with very little
Yep! I agree! Like I said, good, not great. He should take the money and run...just like Steve Miller said.

Where? While a good coach I don't think a truly top team would hire him so he has two choices,

or

Honestly OSU would take him back if he failed

or

He is not getting a 100 million at Michigan St.

Reactions: WHCSC
Frost was a total bust and I’m glad he’s gone, but I do get why Moos made the hire. Frost was going to get a Power 5 job that year even if it wasn’t at NU. Riley was just a total head-scratcher.
Riley was an example of a good coach who was an odd fit at Nebraska. Add in our cultural issues and a conniving AD who was almost as incompetent as Stevey Peterson and that one was a recipe for disaster.

Pretty much all of us wanted Frost, but looking back. Frost was a horrible fit. He did a lot of the same touch football sh*t in practice that Riley did and he wanted to play UCF football at Nebraska by somehow recruiting Florida speed without putting forth any effort in recruiting. Having a "retired but still on the job" AD in Moos didn't help matters as Frost seemed to get more irresponsible by the day.

Reactions: FissionReaction
I do think Riley is a great X’s and O’s Coach but probably not the kind of recruiter he needed to be. He would have had back to back bowl games if not for that clown AD forcing him to can Banker. Not a great fit at NU but the program was so toxic at that point that they might have had trouble getting a better guy. Harvey, Eichorst, TO, Hawks, Solichistas, Bolievers, Boleavers. What a mess. I think we’re mostly on the same page now which should help if we can win a few more games next year.
I was gonna tell you he did have back to back bowl games but I can't count the 5 win bowl if I don't acknowledge FSU's bowl streak that beat ours with 6 wins.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You don't impress easy, do you? They beat an SEC team in their bowl game by 4 TDs last year. Two years in a row in the top 20. Lost to #4 Washington by 2 last week. And he did all of that at Oregon State.
I like the guy, I think he would be a huge upgrade for MSU. I just don't think he is the best coach in the history of coaching. I wanted him here at NU.

He is not getting a 100 million at Michigan St.
MSU gonna have to overpay to get a good coach because the coaches know you can't win there. This is a new era of college football and teams like MSU have even less of a chance at winning now. So these schools have to lie to their boosters and say with the right guy we can win. Harder to raise money when you are pitching your program as fighting to get to 6-6 each year.

Tucker, Smith....Michigan State likes to hire .500 coaches from the Pac-12.

Probably as good of a hire as they could get, but not great. He exceeded expectations at a tough place to win, but he didn't really beat any good teams. A Matt Rhule-esque hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT