ADVERTISEMENT

Relatively surprised Nebraska hasn't had any "trick" plays to date

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Not that there have been too many situations that have called for them, but have we had a fake punt or fake FG all year? Maybe so and I have forgotten.

Regardless, I have to think there are a couple in our back pocket and will be interested to see if we dig in that pocket against Iowa. I'm not calling for an all out gimmick offense, but I would hope Riley uses what he has in what mounts to a must win game.

Yes, I agree that play was unique and a first time we've seen it, but not necessarily what I would call a trick play considering Riley is fairly well-known for his sweep, jet sweep, etc. plays.

But that was surely a well-designed and perfectly executed play and it looked amazing.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Hmm.. agree to disagree. If they make yards they accomplished their task. And even if you think they are out of desperation, I would call this game against Iowa fairly desperate.

Mike Dantonio and Les Miles certainly have used their share of trick plays in the past and I don't think I'd call them desperate teams.

a
Hmm.. agree to disagree. If they make yards they accomplished their task. And even if you think they are out of desperation, I would call this game against Iowa fairly desperate.

Mike Dantonio and Les Miles certainly have used their share of trick plays in the past and I don't think I'd call them desperate teams.
add Bob stoops, OU even used one against Iowa state.

But I've been wondering the same thing. One announcer alluded to Riley saying don't rule out a trick play. Can't remember which game but at the time i thought,,, Oh yeah, let's broadcast it.

To me, trick plays are out of desperation.

Trick plays are not necessarily out of desperation. You have to do things to keep the defense off balance, and running "trick" plays are a way to help do that. Of course it helps if trick plays are successful at least part of the time. They also have to be executed properly and called in a timely manner.

if i miss anything from the cally era, its the half back pass. probably didnt run it as much as i think we did, but lucky executed that pretty well, would love to see it again.

if i miss anything from the cally era, its the half back pass. probably didnt run it as much as i think we did, but lucky executed that pretty well, would love to see it again.
This is a good idea, Didn't turner do it at least once with very high success; with some hs qb experience ?

possibly, but i can't remember. you would think he could do it, though. i'd really like to see a back do it.

Still want to see Foltzy take off burning down the sidelines. I don't think teams or even some of our fans realize how fast of an athlete he is.

Iowa has only faced one team all season that averages more than 30 points or 400 yards per game.

Nebraska will be the 2nd.
Iowa has only faced 4 teams that average more than 5 yards per play. The Huskers will be the first Iowa opponent to average more than 6 yards per play.

Nebraska doesn't need to get cute. They can beat Iowa with their current offense.

Iowa has only faced one team all season that averages more than 30 points or 400 yards per game.

Nebraska will be the 2nd.
Iowa has only faced 4 teams that average more than 5 yards per play. The Huskers will be the first Iowa opponent to average more than 6 yards per play.

Nebraska doesn't need to get cute. They can beat Iowa with their current offense.

Who was the other?

Huskers average 34 points per game, but unfortunately are averaging giving up 28 points per game. I see this game as a high scoring affair.

We do well to execute simple screens, swing passes and out routes.Not sure I would add to Tommy's plate

We do well to execute simple screens, swing passes and out routes.Not sure I would add to Tommy's plate
This; a trick play generally involves doing the unexpected during something that seems familiar; maximizing deception - plenty of that in the O already; comes down to execution. Adding the TE back into the O is going to help; and there are surely more FB plays. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT