ADVERTISEMENT

Regular Season Maryland at Indiana Game 3

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
Was talking to an Indiana fan, they told me about Game 3 of their regular season series with Maryland when they took a lead before a lightning delay I believe in B7. As others noted here, had they not completed the inning, the official result would have been the score at the end of the last complete inning (even though the home team was winning in the bottom half of the inning when the lightning delay occurred). The game was also up against a travel curfew. Apparently Indiana just took every pitch to get through the inning when play resumed so they would be declared the winner before another lightning delay could end the game as a Maryland win.

I was busy that day, does anyone else remember that?

Was talking to an Indiana fan, they told me about Game 3 of their regular season series with Maryland when they took a lead before a lightning delay I believe in B7. As others noted here, had they not completed the inning, the official result would have been the score at the end of the last complete inning (even though the home team was winning in the bottom half of the inning when the lightning delay occurred). The game was also up against a travel curfew. Apparently Indiana just took every pitch to get through the inning when play resumed so they would be declared the winner before another lightning delay could end the game as a Maryland win.

I was busy that day, does anyone else remember that?
I didn't know about the last part, but I do remember the situation. Indiana hit a grand slam in the 7th to take the lead. I remember them updating the situation on the radio during our game against Ohio State that day.

Reactions: saluno22
Indiana's 7th began with a pop out and a ground out. What followed was a single, a double and intentional walk to load the bases. Next came a two out grand slam which took the lead, right? Then the lightening delay.

When play resumed, the batter struck out swinging. (BKSS).

Seems unlikely that Indiana intentionally rushed the game through the clock. The travel restriction doesn't stop an inning in progress, it prevents a new inning from starting. All Indiana needed to do was complete the 7th and there shouldn't have been any hurry to do that.

Now, maybe impending weather was a problem. The game did end after Maryland finished their top of the 8th. But that wouldn't have been by the travel rule.

Either way, there was just one out left when play resumed in the bottom of the 7th. Did that batter give up the out just to complete the 7th? Donno. But it was just one batter.

Indiana's 7th began with a pop out and a ground out. What followed was a single, a double and intentional walk to load the bases. Next came a two out grand slam which took the lead, right? Then the lightening delay.

When play resumed, the batter struck out swinging. (BKSS).

Seems unlikely that Indiana intentionally rushed the game through the clock. The travel restriction doesn't stop an inning in progress, it prevents a new inning from starting. All Indiana needed to do was complete the 7th and there shouldn't have been any hurry to do that.

Now, maybe impending weather was a problem. The game did end after Maryland finished their top of the 8th. But that wouldn't have been by the travel rule.

Either way, there was just one out left when play resumed in the bottom of the 7th. Did that batter give up the out just to complete the 7th? Donno. But it was just one batter.

I am from the Indiana board and will explain what happened. You guys are mostly right but not completely.

IU did hit a Grand Slam in the rain which could turn out to be most important of year if it is us or Maryland today. Game then went in to a rain delay with IU's media initially relations saying inning had to be finished or we would lose. Upon IU reviewing the NCAA rule book further it turned out we would of won with or without the inning finishing just like a walk off in 9th so everything was fine. Game resumed anyways a while later with our batter striking out but not intentionally. Was crazy.

Also I want to say I admire your program as you guys have by far most following in Big Ten with us 2nd at this point (based on only teams with a real baseball message board, only teams top 50 in attendance and most twitter followers). I hope our 2 teams dominate the Big Ten for years to come based on being the ones with the best weather, facilities and following (although ours is much more recent).

I am from the Indiana board and will explain what happened. You guys are mostly right but not completely.

IU did hit a Grand Slam in the rain which could turn out to be most important of year if it is us or Maryland today. Game then went in to a rain delay with IU's media initially relations saying inning had to be finished or we would lose. Upon IU reviewing the NCAA rule book further it turned out we would of won with or without the inning finishing just like a walk off in 9th so everything was fine. Game resumed anyways a while later with our batter striking out but not intentionally. Was crazy.

Also I want to say I admire your program as you guys have by far most following in Big Ten with us 2nd at this point (based on only teams with a real baseball message board, only teams top 50 in attendance and most twitter followers). I hope our 2 teams dominate the Big Ten for years to come based on being the ones with the best weather, facilities and following (although ours is much more recent).
Two best teams in the Big Ten since we joined have been Nebraska and Indiana and I hope it continues. Now we just need Nebraska to stop getting 2nd place as often as they do!!! Should be a good battle for years to come since both seem to invest the most in their baseball programs, Maryland to a degree as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT