ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Recruiting trail happenings - Sunday 12/2 [updated 10:05 PM]

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]

Looks like things went well at the Benhart residence this evening. Although someone clearly got the best of Frost in pingpong.

(Nate)

==========================================

Georgia defensive back Tavian Mayo has already taken his official visit to Nebraska, but that remains his sole official to this point as he remains focused on his senior season. His Leesburg Lee County team is an undefeated 14-0 so far this year, and they will play Warner Robins Northside this Friday at 7:00 PM in the state championship game, a team they beat 24-7 earlier this season.

"I'm not really focused on recruiting right now, I'm concentrating on winning the state championship this week," Mayo said. "This season, I've done a better job of stepping up and being a leader. Most definitely being a leader."

Mayo said his official trip to Lincoln went surprisingly well.

"It went well. I had heard about Nebraska and how the fans they show a lot of love, so I got to get to see that experience myself, and I got to hang out with the players and meet the coaches. It went very well."

He has not had any in-home or in-school visits yet, but he is expecting to see Coach D.K. McDonald from Iowa State this Tuesday. In addition to Nebraska and Iowa State, Mayo said that Georgia Tech and West Virginia remain his top for schools.

Tennessee and South Carolina are still recruiting him but have yet to offer him. He said if they do, he would considering taking visits there as well. He plans to utilize all five of his official visits before signing his letter of intent in February.

"I'm looking to see how I fit in there and how comfortable I feel," Mayo said about what will determine where he ends up going to college. "Also, playing time."

(Mike)

===========================

Junior college linebacker prospect Dru Mathis completed his fifth and final official visit to Baylor this weekend and said, "It was great and I liked the players."

He is not expecting any coaches to visit him this evening, but this week Lovie Smith will be coming to see him and he is working to set up a day that NU head Coach Scott Frost to come for a visit as well.

I asked Mathis, after taking all of his visits, big picture wise who is still in the running to get his commitment and if he was leaning in any particular direction, and he replied:

"Leaning towards Baylor and Illinois right now, with a little of Nebraska."

(Mike)

=======================

Class of 2020 offensive tackle Turner Corcoran named All-State All-Class in Kansas.

[Note: so was Wisconsin QB commit Graham Mertz]

-------------

The Nebraska coaching staff will be coming to visit offensive line commitment Bryce Benhart in their home this evening, according to his father Gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News