ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ranking #59 and #22

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
#59 overall
#22 by average stars

SF&Co will ratchet this up and, more importantly, will develop the talent and plug&play into their schemes better than the past several staffs.

Reactions: dpnavy
I’m curious to see how the early signing period works in a situation like ours. Does it become slim pickings or are there still plenty of targets to get in on for the national signing date?

I’m curious to see how the early signing period works in a situation like ours. Does it become slim pickings or are there still plenty of targets to get in on for the national signing date?
There will be plenty of guys left to sign in February.

Something to keep in mind; star averages are a much better interpretation of talent, than class rank.
Example:
South Carolina has the 14th ranked class but that's because they have 23 commits and 12 of them are 5.6 3 stars or lower. Their average star rating is 3.26. Their class is ranked high due to quantity, not quality.
Nebraska has the 59th ranked class but with only 13 commits. Only 5 of them are rated below 5.7 and our star average is 3.31.

Clemson won a national championship last year with the previous 4 classes up to it having averages of 3.3, 3.32, 3.48, 3.59.
Meanwhile USC has had averages of 3.7, 3.92, 3.5, 4.42, 3.8, 4.1, etc. for the last decade and are on their 4th coaching staff in 8 years.

Nebraska should be shooting for classes with a 3.5 average or higher. This year will be different due to the coaching change and only having 2 weeks before the fist signing period. I would hope with a full year to build relationships and if the on-field results are much better than this year, I would think it shouldn't be out of the question for Frost to achieve that 3.5 or better average.

Something to keep in mind; star averages are a much better interpretation of talent, than class rank.
Example:
South Carolina has the 14th ranked class but that's because they have 23 commits and 12 of them are 5.6 3 stars or lower. Their average star rating is 3.26. Their class is ranked high due to quantity, not quality.
Nebraska has the 59th ranked class but with only 13 commits. Only 5 of them are rated below 5.7 and our star average is 3.31.

Clemson won a national championship last year with the previous 4 classes up to it having averages of 3.3, 3.32, 3.48, 3.59.
Meanwhile USC has had averages of 3.7, 3.92, 3.5, 4.42, 3.8, 4.1, etc. for the last decade and are on their 4th coaching staff in 8 years.

Nebraska should be shooting for classes with a 3.5 average or higher. This year will be different due to the coaching change and only having 2 weeks before the fist signing period. I would hope with a full year to build relationships and if the on-field results are much better than this year, I would think it shouldn't be out of the question for Frost to achieve that 3.5 or better average.

Very good post. Well stated and and fully agree that next year Frost will be a recruiting machine.

Reactions: baseball31ne
#59 overall
#22 by average stars

SF&Co will ratchet this up and, more importantly, will develop the talent and plug&play into their schemes better than the past several staffs.
Let’s not act as if our ranking would be too different had Riley been retained. I’m of the mind that MR, while a nice dude, had a pretty decent scheme of smoke and mirrors going on with recruits. Perhaps, more importantly, with recruits’ parents.

While certainly an important metric, we’ve all seen where recruiting rankings have gotten us without dedication, belief, and talent development.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Iowa nor Wisconsin have finished within 10ish of Nebraska in the rankings. Yet...

Bo Pelini’s best class ‘rankings wise’ turned out to be the worst, if I’m not mistaking. I’m referring to the one where he signed Green, Moore and a few other high school studs. The key is to get these guys on campus then develop them and hope they don’t have any career ending injuries.

Reactions: MercerLion
Bo Pelini’s best class ‘rankings wise’ turned out to be the worst, if I’m not mistaking. I’m referring to the one where he signed Green, Moore and a few other high school studs. The key is to get these guys on campus then develop them and hope they don’t have any career ending injuries.
He also pumped up the ratings with a couple no-shot baseball players.

Has anyone else noticed our commits in this class look like humble get to work kind of guys? Spare Smith & Honas and their wild eyes? Gotta have a couple of guys on the team to say... The Blackshirts are BACK and they're here to stay! GBR!

He also pumped up the ratings with a couple no-shot baseball players.

To be fair, Bubba Starling was like Eric Crouch in Aaron Rogers's body.

And

Monte Harrison had Stanley Morgan's skill level with Kenny Bell's speed in Quincy Enunwa's body.

I dont blame either player for taking the money, but both of them were effing elite.

Reactions: headcard
The best thing about this class is how many recruits are enrolling early and will be here for spring football. By my count, we have 8 enrolling early:

Martinez
Honas
Woodyard
Bell
Farniok
D. Williams
McGriff
Pickering

Numbers-wise, they count towards the 2017 I believe, so we should be able to oversign if Frost wanted, which he probably doesn't since he said about 20 for this year.

And

Monte Harrison had Stanley Morgan's skill level with Kenny Bell's speed in Quincy Enunwa's body.

I dont blame either player for taking the money, but both of them were effing elite.
Bubba was unreal. Lemming said the only HS player he saw in person on par with Bubba was Adrian Peterson.

The best thing about this class is how many recruits are enrolling early and will be here for spring football. By my count, we have 8 enrolling early:

Martinez
Honas
Woodyard
Bell
Farniok
D. Williams
McGriff
Pickering
What is an early enrollee worth? Getting the Winter conditioning, adjusting to college life, spring conditioning, spring practice, Playbook, watching film..... Could go on and on here... These players listed above will reap great benefits from the early enrollment.

And

Monte Harrison had one of the most impressive basketball dunk highlight videos I've ever seen.

And

Monte Harrison had one of the most impressive basketball dunk highlight videos I've ever seen.
Monte and Bubba probably save Pelini

Example:

Thing to remember is that Rivals only counts 20 recruits in the rating, so in SC case the highest 20 recruits count toward the team rating.

And

I believe the OP was meant to be Nebraska was really the only school even giving them any notice, because everyone knew they weren't playing football including Nebraska. 408 was smart enough to just take them to pretty up the rankings and help hide the sheer laziness of his staff regarding recruiting. That's how I take it and what I always believed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT