ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and keeping up with the "Meyer's"

Husker Dreme

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2009
Omaha, NE
Nice article.

My opinion, as little as it matters, is this: If we manage to recover and maybe gain a little from the recent losses of Porcher & Leitao, we remain in good stead overall. The thing we do better than they - because they largely don't have to - is walk ons. Guys like Janovich, Reilly, et. al. keep plugging the holes that recruiting constantly and consistently has left behind.

Even in our "glory days" from 1970 - 2000, we rarely had Top 10 recruiting classes. I think there were 2 since the rankings came out. Correct me if I'm wrong. But Top 15 has done a good job for us. Assuming we get a few more standouts and some other 3-stars to fill the gaps, we should finish in the Top 25. If we get more - and we could - we finish in the Top 15.

That being said, we do need some solid depth on the line and at QB. What I've seen in the last few years is 1-2 guys and then nothing behind them at these key positions. We have filled in the holes due to injury and player loss on the defensive side nicely. Our WR's step up no matter who goes down (Pierson-El, Westerkamp). Even our RB's have done a steady job since losing our string of NFL runners. I'd love to get that kid out of Bellevue along with the walk-ons we already have gotten.

Just a short history lesson: when Tommy got hurt - Ryker did ok in his last two starts. But "ok" isn't enough. And what happened last year at woeful Purdue accentuates my point. I do think with Lee, O'Brien and the incoming Gebbia, we're finally strong at QB again. Maybe for the first time since the 90's we are 3-deep. So getting 2-3 really good OL and a few more DL for me is the greatest need every year. Owning the line owns the clock and controls the game.

If we can do that...what Wisconsin now does better than we: own the line and keep penalties low... we can win any game. They lost a lot of tight ones, including that joke non-call against us. But they were in every game and showed true poise no matter who came calling. Not to mention being up 3 TD's in the Big 10 championship game before losing to the steamrolling Nittany Lions. I want that to be us and not them again. To do that - we need line recruiting and more and more walk-ons from there.

Summary: We get 3-4 more stars and 5-7 gap (3-star) players, we're fine. As long as the walk-ons keep coming. But we have to start winning big games on the field, too. Next year Ohio State and Penn State have to feel some pain. Beat one or both. Then do it again. Until we are a year-in / year-out threat, we're just another forgotten name on the heap. And I really don't like that feeling at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davcon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.