ADVERTISEMENT

Really Happy for Iowa State

To summarize, a Nebraska coach will never be retained for simply beating Iowa and will certainly be fired for losing to Iowa too many times, while an Iowa coach will never be fired for losing to Nebraska and will be certainly get a lifetime contract for beating Nebraska.

Riley didn't just get fired for losing too Iowa. He didn't beat Wisconsin either...

19-19 worse 3 year record in 50 years and 4-8 worse record since 1961. Higher administration and fan base recognized this was a bad hire by a AD that failed miserably as AD at Nebraska.

Riley didn't just get fired for losing too Iowa. He didn't beat Wisconsin either...

19-19 worse 3 year record in 50 years and 4-8 worse record since 1961. Higher administration and fan base recognized this was a bad hire by a AD that failed miserably as AD at Nebraska.
There’s a head coach at a B1G school that had a worse first 3 year stretch then MR and is still at that school. I am glad we did not fall into that trap.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Hey now, they had that co-national championship with an 8-1-1 record way back in 1958...:Cool:

Digging a little deeper, it appears Iowa was awarded a national championship by one of the 16(!) selectors that existed back then. That was despite the fact that they had a loss and a tie (both at home) and LSU finished a perfect 11-0.

That's an extremely flimsy claim to a "co-"national championship and one I'd be embarrassed to make if I were a Hawks fan. Comparatively, our combined record in our five national championship seasons is 62-0-1. Damn that pesky tie with '70 USC in LA Coliseum.

The University of Iowa was awarded the Grantland Rice trophy in 1958 by the relatively new Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) after finishing 8-1-1. The FWAA judged Iowa to be the 1958 National Champions. Both the AP and UPI (Coaches) polls awarded their 1958 national titles to 11-0 LSU. Out of 16 total selectors in 1958, LSU won 15, including the AP and UPI, while Iowa won 1. The AP/UPI voting took place before the bowl games were played. Iowa's victory in the Rose Bowl was deemed to be more impressive by the FWAA. At the end of the season, LSU had beaten two teams ranked in the final AP voting (#11 Ole Miss and #14 Florida), and Iowa had beaten three ranked teams (#7 Wisconsin, #10 TCU and #17 Notre Dame), with a loss to #8 Ohio State and a tie with #6 Air Force. Both LSU and Iowa defeated an additional ranked team in their respective bowl games (LSU defeated #12 Clemson and Iowa defeated #16 California). This contributed to the controversy regarding which team deserved the national championship.

Digging a little deeper, it appears Iowa was awarded a national championship by one of the 16(!) selectors that existed back then. That was despite the fact that they had a loss and a tie (both at home) and LSU finished a perfect 11-0.

That's an extremely flimsy claim to a "co-"national championship and one I'd be embarrassed to make if I were a Hawks fan. Comparatively, our combined record in our five national championship seasons is 62-0-1. Damn that pesky tie with '70 USC in LA Coliseum.

The University of Iowa was awarded the Grantland Rice trophy in 1958 by the relatively new Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) after finishing 8-1-1. The FWAA judged Iowa to be the 1958 National Champions. Both the AP and UPI (Coaches) polls awarded their 1958 national titles to 11-0 LSU. Out of 16 total selectors in 1958, LSU won 15, including the AP and UPI, while Iowa won 1. The AP/UPI voting took place before the bowl games were played. Iowa's victory in the Rose Bowl was deemed to be more impressive by the FWAA. At the end of the season, LSU had beaten two teams ranked in the final AP voting (#11 Ole Miss and #14 Florida), and Iowa had beaten three ranked teams (#7 Wisconsin, #10 TCU and #17 Notre Dame), with a loss to #8 Ohio State and a tie with #6 Air Force. Both LSU and Iowa defeated an additional ranked team in their respective bowl games (LSU defeated #12 Clemson and Iowa defeated #16 California). This contributed to the controversy regarding which team deserved the national championship.

There come back will be that LSU only played segregated white teams and didn't t beat a team with blacks on the team during the season and bowl game...
I've came back with Alabama was an all white team back in the 1966 Orange Bowl that beat a non segregated Nebraska team 39-28 to win the 1965 National Title..

I was even banded for a period of time for bringing that up... They have had no come back for that matter of fact.

I don't think Iowa "sucks" nearly as bad as Nebraska. We won twice as many games against the nation's 5th hardest schedule, and return everyone worth a damn except Josey Jewell, Wadley, and Josh Jackson next year. There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about Iowa going forward.

That coach of the year award Frost has? Kirk has a few of those too, and another four Big Ten CotY awards. But he "sucks" so why would Frost be any better? Clearly it doesn't mean anything to Husker fans if lowly Kirk can get one?

And Iowa hardware from this year alone:

602253712.0.jpg

usatsi_10375706.jpg

636500052157522230-20171227-PinstripeBowl-1365.JPG

56592434329c9.image.jpg

You guys are so sad and jealous it's hilarious.
How many B1G or national titles has Kirk won? That’s the real way of telling if he’s “getting” it done, idiot.

How many B1G or national titles has Kirk won? That’s the real way of telling if he’s “getting” it done, idiot.

You already know the answer to #2, but Kirk has won two B1G co-championships in 2002 and 2004. The '02 title included an 8-0 conference record, matching tOSU. The two didn't play and there was no CCG. They lost to ISU that year and got crushed by USC 38-17 in the Orange Bowl.

The '04 "title" involved a 7-1 conference record, matching a UM team they lost to 30-17 (wouldn't that make UM the lone champs?). They also lost a non-conference game to ASU 44-7.

Been a long time since either of those titles but we all know about their undefeated regular season in '15. As for whether Kirk's getting it done, that's obviously open for debate since multiple Iowa threads keep raging on with no end in sight.

Last edited:
KF is in pretty good company for being "mediocre"
B1G-Coaches.jpg

I may be wrong here, but am I correct to assume that you posted this chart to shed light on how good Kirk Ferentz is?
If that was your purpose, you obviously failed...

So it took Ferentz 2 more games than Fry to get to 143 wins?
Ferentz also had 8 more losses before tying Fry?

Ferentz has a 0.596 winning percentage? That's the worst winning percentage of the top 16 coaches on your list! Laughing

Nebraska won 9+ in 5 of our 7 seasons in the B1G. (.714%)
Fry won 9+ games in 6 of his 20 seasons in the B1G. (.300%)
Ferentz won 9+ games in 6 of his 19 seasons in the B1G. (.316%)

Nebraska lost 5+ in 2 out of 7 seasons in the B1G. (We lose at least 5 games 29% of the time.)
Fry lost 5+ games in 8 out of 20 seasons. (He lost at least 5 games 40% of the time)
Ferentz lost 5+ games in 13 of his 19 seasons. (He loses at least 5 games 68% of the time! You do realize that is more than 2 out of every 3 years, right?)

Obviously it took Ferentz 19 years to tie Fry's win total. How many coaches even coach that long at one place?

At that pace, Ferentz will overtake Stagg in his 391st game. That would take 40 more games.
Only 12 more years to go and Ferentz can win the most games ever in the B1G! RollingLaugh

There come back will be that LSU only played segregated white teams and didn't t beat a team with blacks on the team during the season and bowl game...
I've came back with Alabama was an all white team back in the 1966 Orange Bowl that beat a non segregated Nebraska team 39-28 to win the 1965 National Title..

I was even banded for a period of time for bringing that up... They have had no come back for that matter of fact.

Interesting. Regardless, for all the crap we've received for winning "half" a title in '97 from bitter UM fans and Husker haters, I'd be humbled if I had to claim 1/16th a title from back in '58. Or if percentages are your thing, 6.25% of a title. Smokin

When I did some quick research, I was reminded that Nebraska has been awarded nine other national championships by various polling organizations that we don't claim, in 1915, 1921, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1993 and 1999. If we wanted to play the same game as Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama, we could pound our chests as a 14-time national champion.

I'm glad we don't do that. It would ring hollow and sad. Although it does suck that we never won a title in the early 20th century given that we had five undefeated seasons in which we were not named national champions: 1902, 1903, 1913, 1914 and 1915.

Between 1912 and 1916, we played 34 consecutive games without suffering a loss. Pretty impressive even for the leather helmet days. They probably said "hip hip hooray" after those games for real.

Last edited:
You already know the answer to #2, but Kirk has won two B1G co-championships in 2002 and 2004. The '02 title included a 8-0 conference record, matching tOSU. The two didn't play and there was no CCG. They lost to ISU that year and got crushed by USC 38-17 in the Orange Bowl.

The '04 "title" involved a 7-1 conference record, matching a UM team they lost to 30-17 (wouldn't that make UM the lone champs?). They also lost a non-conference game to ASU 44-7.

Been a long time since either of those titles but we all know about their undefeated regular season in '15. As for whether Kirk's getting it done, that's obviously open for debate since multiple Iowa threads keep raging on with no end in sight.
I actually think Ferentz is a good coach and he doesn’t bother or rub me the wrong way. Co champion team no doubt makes Iowa fan all warm and fuzzy in 2002, but a head to head loss vs Michigan in 2004 gives the wolverines the benefit of the doubt.

Between 1912 and 1916, we played 34 consecutive games without suffering a loss. Pretty impressive even for the leather helmet days. They probably said "hip hip hooray" after those games for real.

My money is on huzzah!

But next time I sit in West Stadium, I'll take a quick poll and try to confirm.

I actually think Ferentz is a good coach and he doesn’t bother or rub me the wrong way. Co champion team no doubt makes Iowa fan all warm and fuzzy in 2002, but a head to head loss vs Michigan in 2004 gives the wolverines the benefit of the doubt.

I don't have any problems with Ferentz either. Good (not great) coach, does things the right way, gives generously to charity, seems to be a classy guy in general. I'm sure Iowa fans are conflicted since his best seasons, save for '15, are pretty far in the rear view mirror. They're basically in the same Bogatory situation we were in, except that their coach isn't an embarrassing dickbag.

I don't have any problems with Ferentz either. Good (not great) coach, does things the right way, gives generously to charity, seems to be a classy guy in general. I'm sure Iowa fans are conflicted since his best seasons, save for '15, are pretty far in the rear view mirror. They're basically in the same Bogatory situation we were in, except that their coach isn't an embarrassing dickbag.

This is pretty fair. I like you. You seem like the classy Nebraska fans I always end up near in Memorial stadium when I go to your games and not at all like the dickbags who drunkenly run their mouth at me in the Hay Market after the game.

I'll say that the 2018 schedule sets up very nicely for a good run for Iowa. With what we return at all positions on on offense, and everywhere on defense save for LB, 11 or more wins is very doable. The feeling is that 2018 was what we've been building toward in 2016 and 2017. A lot of true freshman (Fant, Stanley, Smith-Marsette, Epenesa, Rugamba, etc.) have gotten important playing time these last two seasons. Kirk can either cement his place in college football history in 2018 and 2019, or s*** the bed royally and prove a lot of posters here right about him in these next two seasons.

Best of luck to you guys. With what I've seen from your defense and both lines, You're a couple years away yet, but I anticipate some pretty tough games from Nebraska when/if Frost figures out how to stop Big Ten offenses.

Interesting. Regardless, for all the crap we've received for winning "half" a title in '97 from bitter UM fans and Husker haters, I'd be humbled if I had to claim 1/16th a title from back in '58. Or if percentages are your thing, 6.25% of a title. Smokin

When I did some quick research, I was reminded that Nebraska has been awarded nine other national championships by various polling organizations that we don't claim, in 1915, 1921, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1993 and 1999. If we wanted to play the same game as Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama, we could pound our chests as a 14-time national champion.

I'm glad we don't do that. It would ring hollow and sad. Although it does suck that we never won a title in the early 20th century given that we had five undefeated seasons in which we were not named national champions: 1902, 1903, 1913, 1914 and 1915.

1915 team had has good as claim as any even Cornell, shoutout 5 of their 8 opponents giving Notre Dame their only loss (7-1) 20-19. Only Nebraska and Texas (7) scored TD on them, Nebraska ended the season with a 52-7 win over Iowa.

Cornell outscored their 9 opponents 287-50.
Nebraska outscored their 8 opponents 282-39
Billingey's encyclopedia of college football awarded The 1915 National Title to Nebraska.

Oh look, the idiot troll who thinks Iowa is one player away from competing for another national championship is lecturing other people about being delusional.
1915 team had has good as claim as any even Cornell, shoutout 5 of their 8 opponents giving Notre Dame their only loss (7-1) 20-19. Only Nebraska and Texas (7) scored TD on them, Nebraska ended the season with a 52-7 win over Iowa.

Billingey's encyclopedia of college football awarded The 1915 National Title to Nebraska.

Okay, now we are discussing 1915. I thought going back a decade & the end of last century was stretching the conversation a bit. To bring us back to recent history and put a merciful end to this discussion, this is the status as of today:
1. Iowa has owned Nebraska lately.
2. Nebraska fans have reason to be excited about potentially changing that moving forward.
3. Talk on both sides about future success is simply noise. The players on the field will ultimately decide if Iowa remains dominate, if the series becomes competitive, or if Nebraska becomes dominate. This is what makes college football the greatest sport on earth. No one knows what the future will bring. I can't wait for next season to begin!

Okay, now we are discussing 1915. I thought going back a decade & the end of last century was stretching the conversation a bit. To bring us back to recent history and put a merciful end to this discussion, this is the status as of today:

Hay, the topic was brought up. We do actually have more history than just the 1990's.. as you Iowa fans always bring up...

Posts like these is why I love this board.:Cool:

This is pretty fair. I like you. You seem like the classy Nebraska fans I always end up near in Memorial stadium when I go to your games and not at all like the dickbags who drunkenly run their mouth at me in the Hay Market after the game.

I'll say that the 2018 schedule sets up very nicely for a good run for Iowa. With what we return at all positions on on offense, and everywhere on defense save for LB, 11 or more wins is very doable. The feeling is that 2018 was what we've been building toward in 2016 and 2017. A lot of true freshman (Fant, Stanley, Smith-Marsette, Epenesa, Rugamba, etc.) have gotten important playing time these last two seasons. Kirk can either cement his place in college football history in 2018 and 2019, or s*** the bed royally and prove a lot of posters here right about him in these next two seasons.

Best of luck to you guys. With what I've seen from your defense and both lines, You're a couple years away yet, but I anticipate some pretty tough games from Nebraska when/if Frost figures out how to stop Big Ten offenses.

Appreciate that, Flick. Every fan base has a handful of bags that poison the well. I like to think Nebraska has a lower percentage than most but just add alcohol and it only takes one or two idiots to leave a bad taste.

The basic feeling is that neither of our teams are where we want them to be. You guys are in better shape right now and will contend for the West title in 2018. Like you said, it's do or die(?*) time for Kirk to make another run at a conference title the next two years.

Of course, NU will have something to say about that, but probably not this season. We're hitting the reset button with a new starter at QB, still questionable talent on both lines and with new culture, language and schemes to instill and install. I'm confident that we finally got the right guy post-TO but he will need some time to get everything in place.

To what heights can he take us? Who knows. I don't have illusions about a return to '90s dominance (and nor do the vast majority of Husker fans), but competing for our division on a yearly basis and winning it on a semi-regular basis shouldn't be too much to ask if we maximize our resources. Frost will get patience from the AD and fans and plenty of time to build it right provided steady progress is being made.

Good luck to you too. It would be nice for our game to turn into a border war worthy of a non-contrived rivalry trophy. We don't have nearly as many next door neighbors as we used to.

?* - Figurative. We all know Kirk can't be killed. Smokin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT