ADVERTISEMENT

Reality check....that I never really thought of.

• I'll help you. LSU, Alabama, Florida, OSU, Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin,
Cart or horse? I see teams like Baylor, TCU - MSU - Oregon competing for titles Oregon might have nike but trust me if UDub ever got fully committed the money at that school dwarfs Oregon

I also see Texas struggling - OU good this year, but down over the five or so years. Notre Dame with their money struggled until they got Kelly and still are a bit up and down. I see Michigan sucking until this year when they got Harbaugh
TCU, Baylor, and MSU have not competed for National Titles. Only Oregon has actually competed from that list.

2015 NC- Ohio state vs Oregon
2014 NC- Florida State vs Auburn
2013 NC- Alabama vs Notre Dame
2012 NC- Alabama vs LSU
2011 NC- Auburn Vs Oregon
2010 NC- Alabama Vs Texas
2009 NC- Oklahoma Vs Florida
2008 NC- Ohio State vs LSU
2007 NC- Ohio State vs Florida
2006 NC- USC vs Texas
2005 NC- USC vs Oklahoma
2004 NC- LSU vs Oklahoma
2003 NC- USC vs Miami
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
  • I'll help you. LSU, Alabama, Florida, OSU, Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin,
TCU, Baylor, and MSU have not competed for National Titles. Only Oregon has actually competed from that list.

2015 NC- Ohio state vs Oregon
2014 NC- Florida State vs Auburn
2013 NC- Alabama vs Notre Dame
2012 NC- Alabama vs LSU
2011 NC- Auburn Vs Oregon
2010 NC- Alabama Vs Texas
2009 NC- Oklahoma Vs Florida
2008 NC- Ohio State vs LSU
2007 NC- Ohio State vs Florida
2006 NC- USC vs Texas
2005 NC- USC vs Oklahoma
2004 NC- LSU vs Oklahoma
2003 NC- USC vs Miami
Any thoughts on this?

2015 NC- Ohio state vs Oregon( Not in top ten in value)
2014 NC- Florida State vs Auburn( neither in top ten)
2013 NC- Alabama vs Notre Dame - high money teams
2012 NC- Alabama vs LSU - high money teams
2011 NC- Auburn Vs Oregon( neither)
2010 NC- Alabama Vs Texas( both
2009 NC- Oklahoma Vs Florida( both)
2008 NC- Ohio State vs LSU Both
2007 NC- Ohio State vs Florida - Both
2006 NC- USC vs Texas USC is not a high money school
2005 NC- USC vs Oklahoma - OU
2004 NC- LSU vs Oklahoma - Both
2003 NC- USC vs Miami - Neither

26 total teams on this list - ( 9 are not high money teams) or 34%

Based on the link NU is top ten so I am not quite following your point - NU has a ton of cash as much as they need with more on the way once we get a full share. So according to your theory we have under performed. Unless of course you think the number of students at an Univer means squat on how the STATE football team performs

2015 NC- Ohio state vs Oregon( Not in top ten in value)
2014 NC- Florida State vs Auburn( neither in top ten)
2013 NC- Alabama vs Notre Dame - high money teams
2012 NC- Alabama vs LSU - high money teams
2011 NC- Auburn Vs Oregon( neither)
2010 NC- Alabama Vs Texas( both
2009 NC- Oklahoma Vs Florida( both)
2008 NC- Ohio State vs LSU Both
2007 NC- Ohio State vs Florida - Both
2006 NC- USC vs Texas USC is not a high money school
2005 NC- USC vs Oklahoma - OU
2004 NC- LSU vs Oklahoma - Both
2003 NC- USC vs Miami - Neither

26 total teams on this list - ( 9 are not high money teams) or 34%

Based on the link NU is top ten so I am not quite following your point - NU has a ton of cash as much as they need with more on the way once we get a full share. So according to your theory we have under performed. Unless of course you think the number of students at an Univer means squat on how the STATE football team performs
When you measure success, and let us say you are working to inform your company of trends and rates. Based on what you have documented here. Would you have created a report that argues against money vs. less money? Also, which of the money teams vs the 'not high money' teams won?

When you measure success, and let us say you are working to inform your company of trends and rates. Based on what you have documented here. Would you have created a report that argues against money vs. less money? Also, which of the money teams vs the 'not high money' teams won?
If I was trying to project future success on the field based on more money vs less money - I think I would take into account the amount of funds actually needed. At some point you really do not need new buildings - how many flat screens can you buy, even coaches although they are making more than before it is still a smaller piece of revenues than what it was before. I would say the conference TV revenues and other measures has equaled the paying field and that in the future the teams that will win titles, money is not the issue but getting a good coach is and of course it makes it easier if you are in a talent rich state area

In many ways I can agree with MemorialRedWarrior. The B1G has a number of schools that expect to be at the highest tier, have support to be at the highest tier, and will not acquiesce to less than the highest tier. His numbers may not all be "correct", but the gist of the argument seems sound. We can argue the numbers, but the B1G has a number of schools that want to run with the "big boys" (at least my opinion).

The question I have, do we accept anything less than the top tier for our programs? Don't jump all over me yet, I don't mean a "right now" attitude. Name a major mens' program that did well this year/last year. I would say name a major womens' program, but my wife likes to watch volleyball so moot point. We are at a crossroads, accept mediocre (some cases bad), or expect more.

BUT, there are quite a few schools in the B1G and the nation that don't expect to be top tier. Low hanging fruit is there for the taking, we just need to be ready/willing/able to take it.

and wasn't Iowa's NC awarded by a regional newspaper? Like 1 of 15??

It was awarded to Iowa and LSU that season. Iowa lost 3 games that year, but was awarded the "championship" by a poll that refused to award LSU since LSU only allowed whites on the team at the time.
If you do not have a trophy that says _____ school ____ National Champions than you are not national champions.

MNC is an acronym that most are familiar with here. It refers to Mythical National Championship, as there are too many question marks when there may be teams that could beat who is crowned. With no actual playoff system, or even a BCS ranking system, it was difficult at times to say who really was THE BEST. Why? Because how can you know for sure if you haven't played everyone, or even at least, have the best from each conference play against each other.
The MNC's of the past, mean just as much as the MNC's of the more recent past. Are we to ignore Michigans National title claims then? Or even our own? When did we play every possible champion, from every possible conference?

Sorry, but I'm going by what is on record. Not by what is held in opinion.

Yes, we should completely ignore Michigan's BS national title claims. They earned the nickname Mythican for a reason, and from your list a ton of other BIG schools belong in the same category.

Mr. Delaney is a very smart man and I'm guessing he's known this for awhile and put a plan in place to capitalize on it. Which is exactly why after we negotiate that next TV contract the BIG will be poised to be THE dominant Conference in Division 1 Athletics. You can already begin to see it happening with football this year. The SEC is down, the PAC 12 is down with both Baylor and TCU with losses the only real option for the Big 12 is OU if they can beat OSU this weekend. The BIG is coming off a National Title with 4 teams ranked and 2 as very serious contenders for the Playoff. This wave of money, facilities, population, etc has ushered in a new era of college football and the BIG is poised to lead the way.

It was awarded to Iowa and LSU that season. Iowa lost 3 games that year, but was awarded the "championship" by a poll that refused to award LSU since LSU only allowed whites on the team at the time.
If you do not have a trophy that says _____ school ____ National Champions than you are not national champions.

Actually, LSU refused to play non segregated teams at that time where Iowa did. There were two governing bodies that decided the champion, one gave it to LSU and one it Iowa.

We now reside in the B1G conference. Arguably the most powerful conference in all of college football due to the size of it, and the money involved.

Let us think about what that actually means. Here is who and what we have, I'm also going to list size, stadium size, revenue, etc. Student Body size, etc.(reason being, because it shows the difference in fan base, and alumni potential)

I didn't include conference titles, because with so many new teams in this conference, it's not truly applicable, because some of them were not won here. Penn state, US, Rutgers, Maryland,..

-Ohio State, 8 claimed National Titles, 64,000 Students, Stadium-The Horseshoe, 104,000+ capacity,
-Michigan, 11 claimed National Titles, 43,000 Students, Stadium-The Big House, 105,000+ capacity
-Penn State, 2 claimed National Titles, 97,000 students, Stadium-Beaver Stadium, 106,000+ capacity
-Michigan State, 6 claimed National Titles, 50,000 students, Stadium-Spartan Stadium, 75,000+ capacity
-Wisconsin, 0 claimed National Titles, 43,000 students, Stadium-Camp Randall, 80,000+ capacity
-Iowa, 2 claimed national Titles, 32, 000 students, Stadium-Kinnick, 70,000+ capacity
-Minnesota,7 claimed national Titles, 51,000 students, Stadium-TCF Stadium, 52,000+ capacity
-Indiana, 0 claimed National titles, 110,000 students, Stadium-Memorial Stadium, 52,000+ capacity
-Purdue, 0 claimed National titles, 38,000 students, Stadium-Ross ade stadium, 57,000+ capacity
-Northwestern,0 National titles, 9,000 students(had no idea, wow), Stadium-Ryan Field, 47,000+ capacity
-Rutgers, 1 claimed National titles, 65,000 students, Stadium-High Point, 52,000+ capacity
-Maryland, 1 claimed National Titles, 37,000 students, Stadium-Byrd Stadium, 54,000+capacity

Now lets compare that to Nebraska:

-Nebraska, 5 claimed National Titles, 24,000 students, Stadium Memorial Stadium, 87,000+ capacity

Now that is pretty damn respectable. But we have to also understand what we are up against, and we also have to understand that we are in new territory here. It has only been 4 years, and we have yet to hit a high. We have a lot of money to deal with in this conference. As a matter of fact, our conference is the richest conference in the land, yes that includes the SEC. I honestly didn't know that.

We have 4 schools ahead of us in revenue. Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and of course Ohio State. Along with them the Spartans and the Hawkeyes are neck and neck with us. It seems to rotate year in and year out with those two. So that would make us 5th at best.

Quite simply we are technically outgunned, in the sense that we have AT LEAST 4 schools with superior advantages. Alumni, money, exposure, facilities, etc. Then we have 2 schools who again, are neck and neck with us in that regard. The facility race is causing all teams to upgrade, and the momentum is shifting so fast it is hard to keep up. Michigan and OSU will always have superior facilites, it makes sense, they have a lot more money to play with. Iowa just upgrade, Wiscy is upgrading and so is MSU from what I've heard. Then of course you have PSU, but let's face it, they are able to get as good as facilites as they wish to have.

In short, what I'm saying, is that this is a new era, and we have schools all around us, that are capable of giving us a run for our money at every turn. It's just the way it is now.
You missed the $190million that the Gophers are putting into their facilities over the next 5 years. In the war of facilities, Norhtwestern and Illinois are the laggards in our division.

Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland in the East.

You missed the $190million that the Gophers are putting into their facilities over the next 5 years. In the war of facilities, Norhtwestern and Illinois are the laggards in our division.

Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland in the East.
Hence the reason I say with the confer TV contracts every school has money - Minnesota cant even fill its stadium and hasnt won anything in a long time and yet they are investing 190 million -

Any school with the will to build great facilities can do it right now

How exactly is it more or less BS than some of Nebraskas MNCs?

Nebraska doesn't claim bs National Championships. They have about 3-5 more they could claim, but dont. We have trophies that say Nebraska 1970 National Champions, Nebraska 1971 National Champions, Nebraska 1994 National Champions, Nebraska 1995 National Champions, Nebraska 1997 National Champions.

We don't have to claim BS crap to prop up our history. We have been there done that.

Reactions: baseball31ne
17ye3famk8pabjpg.jpg

aTm

We now reside in the B1G conference. Arguably the most powerful conference in all of college football due to the size of it, and the money involved.

Let us think about what that actually means. Here is who and what we have, I'm also going to list size, stadium size, revenue, etc. Student Body size, etc.(reason being, because it shows the difference in fan base, and alumni potential)

I didn't include conference titles, because with so many new teams in this conference, it's not truly applicable, because some of them were not won here. Penn state, US, Rutgers, Maryland,..

-Ohio State, 8 claimed National Titles, 64,000 Students, Stadium-The Horseshoe, 104,000+ capacity,
-Michigan, 11 claimed National Titles, 43,000 Students, Stadium-The Big House, 105,000+ capacity
-Penn State, 2 claimed National Titles, 97,000 students, Stadium-Beaver Stadium, 106,000+ capacity
-Michigan State, 6 claimed National Titles, 50,000 students, Stadium-Spartan Stadium, 75,000+ capacity
-Wisconsin, 0 claimed National Titles, 43,000 students, Stadium-Camp Randall, 80,000+ capacity
-Iowa, 2 claimed national Titles, 32, 000 students, Stadium-Kinnick, 70,000+ capacity
-Minnesota,7 claimed national Titles, 51,000 students, Stadium-TCF Stadium, 52,000+ capacity
-Indiana, 0 claimed National titles, 110,000 students, Stadium-Memorial Stadium, 52,000+ capacity
-Purdue, 0 claimed National titles, 38,000 students, Stadium-Ross ade stadium, 57,000+ capacity
-Northwestern,0 National titles, 9,000 students(had no idea, wow), Stadium-Ryan Field, 47,000+ capacity
-Rutgers, 1 claimed National titles, 65,000 students, Stadium-High Point, 52,000+ capacity
-Maryland, 1 claimed National Titles, 37,000 students, Stadium-Byrd Stadium, 54,000+capacity

Now lets compare that to Nebraska:

-Nebraska, 5 claimed National Titles, 24,000 students, Stadium Memorial Stadium, 87,000+ capacity

Now that is pretty damn respectable. But we have to also understand what we are up against, and we also have to understand that we are in new territory here. It has only been 4 years, and we have yet to hit a high. We have a lot of money to deal with in this conference. As a matter of fact, our conference is the richest conference in the land, yes that includes the SEC. I honestly didn't know that.

We have 4 schools ahead of us in revenue. Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and of course Ohio State. Along with them the Spartans and the Hawkeyes are neck and neck with us. It seems to rotate year in and year out with those two. So that would make us 5th at best.

Quite simply we are technically outgunned, in the sense that we have AT LEAST 4 schools with superior advantages. Alumni, money, exposure, facilities, etc. Then we have 2 schools who again, are neck and neck with us in that regard. The facility race is causing all teams to upgrade, and the momentum is shifting so fast it is hard to keep up. Michigan and OSU will always have superior facilites, it makes sense, they have a lot more money to play with. Iowa just upgrade, Wiscy is upgrading and so is MSU from what I've heard. Then of course you have PSU, but let's face it, they are able to get as good as facilites as they wish to have.

In short, what I'm saying, is that this is a new era, and we have schools all around us, that are capable of giving us a run for our money at every turn. It's just the way it is now.
The nice thing is that, because of our name and tradition, we are still able to recruit at a higher level nationally than Iowa, MSU, and Wisconsin in most years. The coaching and development has to come now and I think it is.

and wasn't Iowa's NC awarded by a regional newspaper? Like 1 of 15??

It was the Football Writers Association of America in 1958. They also won one in 1921, which was given by the NCAA, based on statistics and research.

Is there a trophy in Iowa City that says Iowa 1958 National Champions? If not it doesn't count so get out with that weak crap.

Google Image Search 1958 Grantland Rice trophy Iowa and Nebraska's National Championship trophies came up. Sorry guys. Iowa = zero national championships.

I think too much is made of NU's disadvantages. The facilities race is reaching the point of diminishing returns. How fancy do you need to be? If facilities determined success, Texas wouldn't be in Year 6 of a football recession. If proximity to talent is all that mattered, Florida, FSU, Miami, USC and UCLA would never struggle. Players want to play for good coaches who give them a chance to win and a shot at the NFL. It's about the people.

Reactions: timnsun
Anybody else amused that the same fan base that constantly tells us we need to quit living in the past are fervent in defending their one 'national championship'?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT