ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on the game

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
Tony needs to reevaluate how he defends quick passes. Last two opponents exposed the weakness of the defense. Carryover from last year. He is unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. Felt like every 3rd and long resulted in a 12-20 yd pass completion. There was very little pressure on the QB's form the last 2 games. Rhule may want a 4 man rush, but this is not working. The defense made Altmyer look like a Hypesman Trophy player.

DR is the real deal. I tried not to drink the kool-aide on him and wanted to see him in action before commenting. What impressed me most was the anger in his eyes when they settled for the first field goal. He was not happy but there was determination his eyes to not let that happen again. He played a solid game, too bad the defense did not compliment his game play.

The team needs to get over the mental hump of stupid penalties. This rose its ugly head again last night and cost them points, again...

It's still about one to two years away from being a good, consistent team.

Rhule needs to break the defense down and start back from scratch, the opponents have figured out the 335 defense.

It's a process that needs to happen, I just need to be patient.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Tony needs to reevaluate how he defends quick passes. Last two opponents exposed the weakness of the defense. Carryover from last year. He is unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. Felt like every 3rd and long resulted in a 12-20 yd pass completion. There was very little pressure on the QB's form the last 2 games. Rhule may want a 4 man rush, but this is not working. The defense made Altmyer look like a Hypesman Trophy player.

DR is the real deal. I tried not to drink the kool-aide on him and wanted to see him in action before commenting. What impressed me most was the anger in his eyes when they settled for the first field goal. He was not happy but there was determination his eyes to not let that happen again. He played a solid game, too bad the defense did not compliment his game play.

The team needs to get over the mental hump of stupid penalties. This rose its ugly head again last night and cost them points, again...

Rhule needs to break the defense down and start back from scratch, the opponents have figured out the 335 defense.

Every time we get a new coach and we still continue to lose games we should win, we are told “patience, this is a 4 year project”.
Nonsense. Not in the era of transfer portal and NIL. This is a veteran team. We will be worse next year not better. Unless we hit the transfer portal hard year 3 will be rinse, cycle, and repeat.
I am so tired of losing followed by being told to be patient.
No.

Every time we get a new coach and we still continue to lose games we should win, we are told “patience, this is a 4 year project”.
Nonsense. Not in the era of transfer portal and NIL. This is a veteran team. We will be worse next year not better. Unless we hit the transfer portal hard year 3 will be rinse, cycle, and repeat.
No.
It was always Year Three, Pennsy

It was another heartbreaking loss for a team that in recent years has only found ways to lose vs finding ways to win.
They had multiple golden opportunities to win, but failed.
Illinois played a good game. It hurts to lose a game we could have-should have won at home.

It’s not jump off a cliff crisis, still a hard fought battle. But the team needs to find their edge and sharpen it.

I will say no P5 school worth anything should have problems where you can’t trust a FG kicker to make anything. Yes, they miss some, but make-able kicks should be pretty routine, not “well I guess we’ll see what happens.”
That’s on coaches to go find a reliable kicker before the season starts.

Coaching failure from beginning to end. Not gonna put this on the players, maybe 90% staff and 10% players. How many times do you need to see their tight end delay, move across the line and then go upfield before you realize your scheming is the problem?

I wasn't happy at all with the officiating although some of it was legit, but great teams impose their will. The team did that against CU and hasn't't done it since. I blame the staff for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cornwoman
No.
Not to mention the schedule gets harder next year. We need 8 wins at least this year

So, do you think there will be another "Chasing 3" video?

Can't help but think about all those stadium stairs the team did in camp and still have the same results. Seems a little foolish now.

It was another heartbreaking loss for a team that in recent years has only found ways to lose vs finding ways to win.
They had multiple golden opportunities to win, but failed.
Illinois played a good game. It hurts to lose a game we could have-should have won at home.

It’s not jump off a cliff crisis, still a hard fought battle. But the team needs to find their edge and sharpen it.

I will say no P5 school worth anything should have problems where you can’t trust a FG kicker to make anything. Yes, they miss some, but make-able kicks should be pretty routine, not “well I guess we’ll see what happens.”
That’s on coaches to go find a reliable kicker before the season star
WTF isn't there a one good field goal kicker somewhere in the United States. Unreal.

Reactions: HominidHusker
My biggest concern going to this was OL/Running game and Kicker situation. While not as bad as the Sims experiment last year kicking it going to cost them again as the season goes on. The knew almost all off season and even last year this would/could be a real problem. I mean chasing 3 is hard when you can’t make a 39yd FG.

Last edited:

The 4-man rush works great against the likes of Colorado that block like shit, but not against legit OLs. We need to get a pass rush.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT