ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Quick thoughts and takeaways from the Mercer satellite camp

Nate Clouse

Nebraska Legend
Staff
Feb 14, 2012
Lincoln, Neb.
Here are some quick thoughts and main takeaways from the Mercer adidas satellite camp in Macon, Ga.

***We were at the Mercer adidas satellite camp two years ago where there were well over 1,000 campers that came through over the course of 10-plus hours. This year's Mercer camp was not quite as big with roughly 500 or so campers, but it was still a very productive day. There were four sessions throughout the day with about 100-150 prospects per session, but sometimes I feel like you can get a better evaluation of players when there are smaller groups.

***Nebraska had four coaches at the camp with defensive coordinator Erik Chinander, tight ends coach Sean Beckton, defensive backs coach Travis Fisher and defensive line coach Tony Tuioti all in attendance.

***It was good catching up with former Nebraska coaches Tim Albin (Ohio) and Mike Ekeler (Kansas) at the camp today.

One interesting thing that come from those conversations was when Ekeler mentioned that he had watched some game film including some of Nebraska last season. From what he has seen, Ekeler feels that Adrian Martinez is the top quarterback he's seen on film and he thinks Martinez is a first-round type of talent. He said if he was building a dream college football team he would want Martinez to be his QB.

***There were a few new offers that were made at the camp today to some impressive underclassmen. 2021 OLB/DE Keanu Koht out of Vero Beach, Fla. is pushing 6-foot-4, 220-pounds and looked terrific in drills and one-on-ones. Not only did Koht land an offer from Nebraska, but he also picked up offers from Indiana, Ohio, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic and later landed one from Auburn as he and his group traveled there after the Mercer camp.

Another 2021 offer went out to Chief Borders out of Powder Springs (Ga.) McEachern. Borders looks like he's about 6-foot-4, 215-pounds or so. Physically, I'd say he was one of the best looking prospects at the camp and he backed that up in drill work. He's been on a roll lately adding a ton of offers from camps early on this summer. Borders could probably play inside or outside linebacker at the next level. He also told me he feel like he could play wide receiver or tight end on offense if needed there as well.

Both Koht and Borders have expressed interest in visiting Nebraska.

***Two players that I spotted at the camp that already held offers from Nebraska were 2020 OLB/DE Jamari Stewart and 2021 ILB Deshauwn Alleyne out of Fort Pierce (Fla.) St. Lucie West Centennial. Both were there as part of the Treasure Coast Elite 7-v-7 team that is on a college camp tour right now. Niether Stewart nor Alleyne worked out at the camp today, but they were there supporting their other teammates like Keanu Koht. Stewart and Alleyne both told me they've been in regular contact with Nebraska and are hoping to visit Lincoln this summer and/or next fall.

***2021 defensive back prospect Jaden Taylor was getting some attention from the Nebraska staff. The 5-foot-9, 180-pound prospect out of Montgomery (Ala.) Park Crossing is the younger brother of current Husker DB Cam Taylor. The younger Taylor plans on attending Nebraska's Friday Night Lights camp on June 21. He was there with his father who told me Cam and his family absolutely love Lincoln and are very excited about the upcoming season.

We will be having much more coming from today's Mercer camp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News