ADVERTISEMENT

Quick reflection

Mercedes

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I am so bummed about how we lost the game. How the hell can you be in a prevent and not play the ball better? Wow. That, imo, is on the players. It isn't that complicated.

This game, on reflection, is simply "Pelini hangover". When you look back, this staff has had little time to really effect the changes they need to make to make the team better. Currently (vs a few years ago), there are limited spring and fall practices that make implementation of new schemes difficult with fewer repetitions and time. Just a fact. It will take part, or even an entire season to really see if this staff can coach the kids "up".

As far as talent, I again look at it as the hangover effect. Frankly, there is some talent. But I don't think it is as good or as deep as we want to believe, or what some of he media has been pumping sunshine about. I have been told that the staff may actually be more realistic about the level of talent than most of us want to believe or hope.

Speaking of hangover effect, I sensed, while watching this game, that many of the players started playing a bit tentative-afraid to make mistakes. Mental hangover from years past imo. That will take a lot of time to erase.

I liked that adjustments were made during the game and at halftime. That was a breath of fresh air!

This was only the first game. True. Not a season. But, like most of you, I was disappointed to "see" what we have at this point. Running game was pathetic (backs & Oline), Dline was pretty weak leaving the DB's to cover very good receivers for too long! That said, I am afraid it might be a long season and the best we can hope for is continual improvement as the season progresses building for next year. We didn't get blown out which is a silver lining. Could have happened. I still think the coaching change was required. It probably should have happened a year (or 2) earlier, but....it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.