ADVERTISEMENT

QB's first year in Riley's system

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
1997- 6 Touchdowns; 14 INT's
1998- 4 Touchdowns; 3 INT's
2003- 24 Touchdowns; 24 INT's( Derek Anderson-This guy is still playing in the NFL)
2005- 11 Touchdowns; 19 INTS's(Matt Moore- This guy is still playing in the NFL)
2007- 9 Touchdowns; 15 INT's( Sean Canfield-Spent a year in the NFL)
2008- 19 Touchdowns; 13 INT's
2010- 18 Touchdowns; 11 INT's
2011- 16 Touchdowns; 18 INT's(Sean Mannion-This guy is still playing in the NFL)
2015- 22 Touchdowns; 16 INT's
2017- 5 Touchdowns; 7 INT's

134 Touchdowns vs 140 INT's for Qb's in their first year playing under Riley's system. Obviously, Tanner Lee is following that path. The good news? The second year is almost always better. The bad news, we probably shouldn't expect a major turnaround out of Lee or expect POB to come in and light the world on fire. I don't know how much Riley's system has changed thru the years as I was not a regular follower of Oregon St while he was there but the numbers aren't pretty. This is apparently not an easy system to pick up and NFL QB's struggled from the get go.

Good info but makes me shake my head. Does Riley think this pattern is good enough for NU or magically goes away?

2011- 16 Touchdowns; 18 INT's(Sean Mannion-This guy is still on an active roster in the NFL)

FIFY... Sorry I wouldn't call what Mannion is doing in the NFL "playing". 3 total drives in 3 blowouts in 3 years is not exactly playing. Matter of fact, he was passed over by a rookie last year. I am sorry but I am sick of some husker fans talking about Mannion like he's Tom Brady. He's a back-up QB. Not someone a coach hangs his resume on. And I am not saying you are giving Mannion and, ultimately Riley, more credit then deserved. Just don't want to hear that name anymore for support of Riley. Having coached a back-up NFL QB doesn't get me excited.

This is the roller coaster of Riley's offense. What I don't understand, the coaching staff made concessions for TA for year 2. Maybe they thought Oregon was just a bad game for TLee, but NIU shows we're on a path, and it's not a good path.

It can't be business as usual in Lincoln this week.

Those are absolutely atrocious QB stats, and that is not a small sample. How in the world did Riley become known as a QB guru.
Riley is not considered a guru in anything besides the hopeful minds of an ever decreasing Nebraska fan base. Walk outside this state and Riley is not revered for anything besides being a "nice guy".

2003- 24 Touchdowns; 24 INT's( Derek Anderson-This guy is still playing in the NFL)
2005- 11 Touchdowns; 19 INTS's(Matt Moore- This guy is still playing in the NFL)
2011- 16 Touchdowns; 18 INT's(Sean Mannion-This guy is still playing in the NFL)

134 Touchdowns vs 140 INT's for Qb's in their first year playing under Riley's system. Obviously, Tanner Lee is following that path. The good news? The second year is almost always better. The bad news, we probably shouldn't expect a major turnaround out of Lee or expect POB to come in and light the world on fire. I don't know how much Riley's system has changed thru the years as I was not a regular follower of Oregon St while he was there but the numbers aren't pretty. This is apparently not an easy system to pick up and NFL QB's struggled from the get go.
Additional bad news - Coach Riley's college record - 109–93 (.539).

Reactions: jeans15
The crazy thing is, we won more games than we probably should have last year because we didn't turn the ball over. We game planned to TA's strengths, or at least away from his weaknesses, and it helped. Now we have an "accurate" passer and can't stop turning the ball over. A 2009 shell type offense would have resulted in a W Saturday.

Ouch. This is enlightening. Riley truly is running an NFL Offense and 20 year old kids can't run it without making a ton of mistakes.

These numbers scare the heck out of me. So, basically every time Riley has a new QB, they struggle. That basically means that anytime NU has a new QB, the team could also struggle because of It. If we want consistent winning at NU, this doesn't make me very optimistic that we can get that.

Reactions: HuskerDana
You guys do understand that Mike is a subpar coach who would have been fired at a any major program after just a few years. He is the outcome of a program having no expectations and sticking with one guy for a long time because they are horrible. Cally, Bo, Solich would all eventually win 9 games at Oregon state if they had enough time...nearly all coaches would eventually have a winning season if they were allowed to have enough 5-8 win seasons. Riley was afforded this opportunity. He had enough time to build a program and that program didn't consistently win at Oregon State and now we are seeing why...he just isn't very good.

Reactions: Agegoneby
These numbers scare the heck out of me. So, basically every time Riley has a new QB, they struggle. That basically means that anytime NU has a new QB, the team could also struggle because of It. If we want consistent winning at NU, this doesn't make me very optimistic that we can get that.

Agreed.

Welcome to my world. TLee could've came in and lit the world, but it was still just a matter of time (new starting QB's) before Riley's offensive philosophy results in a dismal year. TLee already has a couple years of experience under his belt, maybe things do a 180 like Matt Moore's last season at OrSU.

Not a troll attempt. Just my opinion. If you need a future NFL draft pick at QB to run your offense, it will be bad if you don't have a future NFL draft pick at QB. It will also be bad until the future NFL draft pick actually develops into a NFL draft pick. So I see NU's records being an ever fluctuating sine wave, riding high with fully developed QB's, riding low with inexperience. I would guess this would apply to the overall team experience as well, hello Vegas computers. But, I see it having a greater impact when considering the QB position. This is a generality of course, as OrSU's records actually got worse as Mannion's experience increased. Maybe Banker, Read, Cav, and Langsdorf all "helped" contribute to OrSU's record in the Mannion era.

Here's wiki's 2006 season for OrSU. They were 2-3 after the first 5 games. I think Matt Moore was their transfer QB, new to the system. For the season, they got boat raced a couple times, once by a really good team and once by a good team. They lost two games to average teams (6 loss teams). But, once everything started clicking, as least by the record, they look tough to beat.

For anyone that says "Oh, I can't wait to see how <insert name here> will look in Riley's offense", it's more than likely the QB's 1st year will be downright bad.

It would please me greatly for one of the media people to pick up on the qb learning curve, write an article and generate a buzz. Unless our D is super good, this OrSU offensive philosophy is a repeating cycle of failure.

Reactions: StrongArm517

Or Riley took average talented qbs and developed them into NFL qbs.

The crazy thing is, we won more games than we probably should have last year because we didn't turn the ball over. We game planned to TA's strengths, or at least away from his weaknesses, and it helped. Now we have an "accurate" passer and can't stop turning the ball over. A 2009 shell type offense would have resulted in a W Saturday.
Kind of like we have the same issues as last year, except now our QB can't run. Uh oh

Maybe it's not the QB. Maybe it is the result of bad o line play and receivers dropping balls. If that's the case, we should be fine

Kind of like we have the same issues as last year, except now our QB can't run. Uh oh
Last year we didn't throw all these INT's though, because we were cautious and played against TO's. We need to go back to that mindset. Ending drives with punts is OK, run on third down, hit the check-downs, max protect. Just stop turning the ball over and giving the other team points.

Or Riley took average talented qbs and developed them into NFL qbs.

We were told all offseason by the QB "guru's" that Tanner Lee has the goods and is a future NFL QB but three games in he is leading the NCAA in INT's. I don't believe it's just Riley/Langsdorf recruiting average QB's and polishing a turd eventually. Apparently the staff is dumbing down the offense some(how sad is that in year 3)....let's see if that helps.

Reactions: HuskerDana
We were told all offseason by the QB "guru's" that Tanner Lee has the goods and is a future NFL QB but three games in he is leading the NCAA in INT's. I don't believe it's just Riley/Langsdorf recruiting average QB's and polishing a turd eventually. Apparently the staff is dumbing down the offense some(how sad is that in year 3)....let's see if that helps.
I think the offense is already dumb enough if we can't block the guy in front of us.o_O Your OP regarding the success in year one of his offenses wasn't something that brightened my day and may explain some of what we're seeing. That said, Severe said on the radio yesterday that Lee was sacked 6 times and knocked down 7 times. That doesn't even count how many times he had guys in his face that didn't get there. Is that right? Good heavens no wonder. I didn't get to see much of the game and haven't had time to watch it on B1GN so I didn't realize it was quite that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT