ADVERTISEMENT

psu vs minny...

kikdakan

Redshirt Freshman
Apr 25, 2012
amazing...as of early tuesday am, minny still can't sell out a 50,000(+) TCF stadium. two 9-0 teams. minny officials state it should be "close" to sellout by gametime. :confused:

Reactions: Huskred01
There but for the grace of God go we. I expect to see empty seats in Lincoln this Saturday.

PSU is gonna punch P.J.'s oarsmen right in the mouth I think.
I would love nothing more than to see PSU go into MN and stomp them by 20+ I have said all year MN record is a smoke and mirrors magic trick. They have played nobody and I mean nobody. Similar to Neb is 2016 when we started 7-0 ranked 10th. Then lost 3 of or next 5. South dakota St is their best win, Fresno St, GA Southern, Purdue, Illinois, Neb, Rutgers,Maryland. They have Penn St, Iowa, NW, and Wisc. I see them losing 3 of those 4.

The University of Minnesota has 50,000+ undergraduate students and at least another 200,000 alumni within an 1-2 drive of the stadium. Add in the fact that they play in a major conference located in a metro area of +2 million and its hard to figure out how they can't attract fans to one of the smallest stadiums in major college football.

Minnesota buddies standard response is that MPLS is Viking town; that the TC fan spends his or her money on the pro teams, or concerts, or other entertainment.

Even so, there is no good explanation why a nationally ranked and undefeated Big Ten team can't sell-out a game against a top10 conference foe to 50,000 well in advance. I guess they have been down so long even their students and alumni aren't buying the success.

The University of Minnesota has 50,000+ undergraduate students and at least another 200,000 alumni within an 1-2 drive of the stadium. Add in the fact that they play in a major conference located in a metro area of +2 million and its hard to figure out how they can't attract fans to one of the smallest stadiums in major college football.

Minnesota buddies standard response is that MPLS is Viking town; that the TC fan spends his or her money on the pro teams, or concerts, or other entertainment.

Even so, there is no good explanation why a nationally ranked and undefeated Big Ten team can't sell-out a game against a top10 conference foe to 50,000 well in advance. I guess they have been down so long even their students and alumni aren't buying the success.
The same reason why we still sell out year after year no matter how bad we are: inertia.

The Twin Cities is a pro sports culture. MN will never be the premier event in town. I was born and raised by the Twin Cities so I know what I am talking about.

Reactions: TheBeav815
The Twin Cities is a pro sports culture. MN will never be the premier event in town. I was born and raised by the Twin Cities so I know what I am talking about.
Yep. Same reason you can count on Ryan Field being about 50% visiting fans for every Cats game. People in Chicago do not pay any more attention to what Northwestern does than people anywhere else pay attention to what Northwestern does.

People really underestimate the impact of there not being any pro sports in Nebraska (AAA baseball does not count) nor even another very good men's sports team of any kind. Creighton is solid, they're not a big brand by any stretch of the imagination.

Really going out on a limb there expecting empty seats in Lincoln this weekend. Laughing
Bingo. Minnesota used to win national championships. Now they're mired in decades of irrelevance and people up there don't care to go see them even for a big conference clash of ranked opponents.

Sound like the possible future of any program we can think of?

Yep. Same reason you can count on Ryan Field being about 50% visiting fans for every Cats game. People in Chicago do not pay any more attention to what Northwestern does than people anywhere else pay attention to what Northwestern does.

People really underestimate the impact of there not being any pro sports in Nebraska (AAA baseball does not count) nor even another very good men's sports team of any kind. Creighton is solid, they're not a big brand by any stretch of the imagination.
Haha so true. I went to the game last year at Northwestern and on Friday night we went to some bars in downtown Chicago, and there was a big group of us all wearing Husker gear and most people that saw us in the Husker gear asked us what bought us to Chicago.

Because they have other things to do right. Isn't that the standard go to from crappy fan bases?

Reactions: Huskred01
I don't doubt that but c'mon you have a quarter million students and alumni in the metro area. Its like the entire city of Lincoln inhabited by only students and alumni and only able to fill roughly half of Memorial Stadium for a Top20 showdown.

It might be pro sports town but if you have ties to the University and have no interest, I call that apathy.

There but for the grace of God go we. I expect to see empty seats in Lincoln this Saturday.

Does playing BYE to 2 ties equal one win??

First-time poster but long time lurker here. I had a friend in high school who stayed with his aunt in Minnesota for one year. When he came back I looked at his Minn HS yearbook. No crowds to speak of at the basketball & football games but standing room only at their wrestling matches. And wrestling is also major at the U of M.

To those complaining about Minnesota's schedule....the winning streak goes back to last year. Blowout victories in a Bowl and @Wisconsin.

As for your allegations of lack of fan support....Minnesota has some of the best fan support in the nation. Their last good season was in 1967....if Nebraska or any team was like that, how would the fan support be? Almost surely much worse than Minnesota's.

I am going go out on a limb and predict Memorial Stadium will look like this on Saturday. Winking

5d8d4c9e81fd9.image.jpg

I would love nothing more than to see PSU go into MN and stomp them by 20+ I have said all year MN record is a smoke and mirrors magic trick. They have played nobody and I mean nobody. Similar to Neb is 2016 when we started 7-0 ranked 10th. Then lost 3 of or next 5. South dakota St is their best win, Fresno St, GA Southern, Purdue, Illinois, Neb, Rutgers,Maryland. They have Penn St, Iowa, NW, and Wisc. I see them losing 3 of those 4.

you can have a pretty decent season - garner a little bit of national attention - and go to a decent bowl if you can simply beat the nobodies rather than being one of the nobodies.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
if your talking about gopher hockey, take a look at marriuci arena. since they went to big ten hockey, the games i have tuned into i don't think it is even half full.

Remember, The Minnesota North Stars were a professional ice hockey team in the National Hockey League for 26 seasons, from 1967 to 1993. The North Stars played their home games at the Met Center in Bloomington, and the team's colors for most of its history were green, yellow, gold and white.

History: Minnesota North Stars; 1967–1993; Dallas Stars; 1993–present.

The LA Lakers .... going back further

I don't doubt that but c'mon you have a quarter million students and alumni in the metro area. Its like the entire city of Lincoln inhabited by only students and alumni and only able to fill roughly half of Memorial Stadium for a Top20 showdown.

It might be pro sports town but if you have ties to the University and have no interest, I call that apathy.

You must not know much about the University of Minnesota. It's a sprawling commuter campus with an enormous undergraduate population and they have three different locations where courses are held based on what your studies are. They even have an underground rail system. The culture is heavily based on professional sports - fall, winter, and spring/summer. There is always a pro sports event taking place no matter the time of the year.

All of the pro sports in WI are on the eastern side of the state by Lake Michigan. The western part of WI has more Viking, Twins, etc, fans than fans of pro sports in WI. The Dakotas and Iowa don't have pro sports either and a lot of people that grow up in the Dakotas and Iowa move to the Twin Cities for work.

The Gophers will never have the support in football from a fan perspective like Nebraska has. It's just not the culture that is pushed on you from birth.

I think PSU will manhandle the pimp's offense.

Reactions: husker2612
To those complaining about Minnesota's schedule....the winning streak goes back to last year. Blowout victories in a Bowl and @Wisconsin.

As for your allegations of lack of fan support....Minnesota has some of the best fan support in the nation. Their last good season was in 1967....if Nebraska or any team was like that, how would the fan support be? Almost surely much worse than Minnesota's.
If you can’t sell out a 45-50k seat stadium for the game this weekend, that’s nowhere close to best fan support in the nation.

What a ridiculous post.

Reactions: LetoileDuNord
You must not know much about the University of Minnesota. It's a sprawling commuter campus with an enormous undergraduate population and they have three different locations where courses are held based on what your studies are. They even have an underground rail system. The culture is heavily based on professional sports - fall, winter, and spring/summer. There is always a pro sports event taking place no matter the time of the year.

All of the pro sports in WI are on the eastern side of the state by Lake Michigan. The western part of WI has more Viking, Twins, etc, fans than fans of pro sports in WI. The Dakotas and Iowa don't have pro sports either and a lot of people that grow up in the Dakotas and Iowa move to the Twin Cities for work.

The Gophers will never have the support in football from a fan perspective like Nebraska has. It's just not the culture that is pushed on you from birth.
Dude, they are one of the largest student universities that play in one of the smallest major college stadiums in America located in the TC metro area of 3.7 million people, tens of thousands are alumni.. I don't care how many pro sports teams are in MPLS (the Vikings are in Texas this weekend), there is no excuse for ticket sale problems for an 8-0 team (first time in decades) hosting a Top10 conference opponent.

Reactions: husker2612
Dude, they are one of the largest student universities that play in one of the smallest major college stadiums in America located in the TC metro area of 3.7 million people, tens of thousands are alumni.. I don't care how many pro sports teams are in MPLS (the Vikings are in Texas this weekend), there is no excuse for ticket sale problems for an 8-0 team (first time in decades) hosting a Top10 conference opponent.

They used to play in an NFL stadium. Didn't even have a stadium on campus for the longest time. Then when they built a stadium on campus, they spent a lot of time doing surveys and other things to correctly judge what would be the appropriate size of stadium to build. There is a reason they didn't build a 90,000 person stadium.

amazing...as of early tuesday am, minny still can't sell out a 50,000(+) TCF stadium. two 9-0 teams. minny officials state it should be "close" to sellout by gametime. :confused:
I’d take empty house with a team of men vs a full house and a team of boys...

They used to play in an NFL stadium. Didn't even have a stadium on campus for the longest time. Then when they built a stadium on campus, they spent a lot of time doing surveys and other things to correctly judge what would be the appropriate size of stadium to build. There is a reason they didn't build a 90,000 person stadium.
Yes --- APATHY/

Stop with the ridiculous "pro teams" excuses.

BTW, a Gopher football ticket is dirt cheap compared to the cost of a seat at a Vikings or Timberwolves game.

Penn State will take the Gophers to the showers...errr I mean wood shed. Hope Minnesota knocks the shit out of em tho honestly.

Reactions: bradjens
Yes --- APATHY/

Stop with the ridiculous "pro teams" excuses.

BTW, a Gopher football ticket is dirt cheap compared to the cost of a seat at a Vikings or Timberwolves game.

You are clueless about the Twin Cities culture.

I lived in Boston when BC had Matt Ryan and a top 5 ranking. They still couldn’t sell out, and they had about 2% of the local media marketplace. Some cities just don’t care as much about college sports.

James Franklin is the biggest hypocrite dirtbag in college athletics. As much as I don’t care for Fleck, I would love for them to roll Penn State. Also our sellout thing is fine but it’s a sad day when our best advantage over Minnesota football is ticket sales.

Reactions: bradjens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT