ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons of Adrian and Luke

Dreinhart

Aug 25, 2019
Adrian

Pros: Experience. Knowledge of offense. Bigger Arm.

Cons: Thinks way too much. Slow at reacting. Turnovers both rushing and passing.

Luke

Pros: Better Runner. Seems to react fast to what he sees. Trusts the offense.

Cons: Inexperience. Wild with the ball. Size. Turnovers.

I love Adrian. He’s been a leader since he stepped on campus. Unfortunately I think we have seen the best he has to offer. I watched Sam Keller, Zach Lee, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, and Tanner Lee, all show signs and promise of being a big time quarterback. Years into their development I was still saying “if one or two plays go a little different we win” or “you can’t just blame the quarterback”. While that’s true....if there isn’t a dramatic step forward in year 0 or year 1....there probably isn’t going to be one. With Adrian we are in year 3 and he’s getting progressively worse. I know I know I am not at practice, it’s not as simple as arm chair quarterbacking....but Saturdays don’t lie. I do not know if Luke has it in him because he hasn’t really had the chance to show it. Adrian has and hasn’t lived up to the position.

Thoughts?

AM pro: he was selected to be a captain by his teammates

I’m not sure that Luke is a better runner. For both that’s their best weapon.

I wonder if Luke throws the ball to his 2nd or 3rd options. That’s where AM seems to really struggle, and everything really slows down.

Against NW our first drive the first 3 plays were ran at warp speed, we picked up two first downs. And then it was like we ran out of energy and just completely slowed down. On Luke’s 3 drives back to up tempo and we looked pretty good again.

It's really hard to quantify the "it" factor, but I have to go there. Luke seems to have something more electric and exciting. In fairness, Martinez had it his freshman year, so maybe it goes away. Maybe injuries build up and take a toll.

Even though the offense didn't generate points when Luke was in there, the team got to the red zone quickly in two Luke possessions. One couldn't end in a field goal because the team needed a TD and the other ended in the unfortunate interception.

Certainly, the coaches can help with some more creative play calls near the end zone. I don't understand the fascination with lining up in the shotgun formation. Many have already expressed this sentiment. I also don't know if an option play or a shovel pass might be effective, especially when the other team is filling gaps to stop a run.

Anyway, I've been on team AM for quite some time, but I think I'm ready for a change. It seems Penn State is vulnerable this year at 0-3, but they will also be desperate for a win and obviously thinking a game against lowly Nebraska is one for the taking.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Adrian

Cons: Thinks way too much. Slow at reacting. Turnovers both rushing and passing.

Luke

I love Adrian. He’s been a leader since he stepped on campus. Unfortunately I think we have seen the best he has to offer. I watched Sam Keller, Zach Lee, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, and Tanner Lee, all show signs and promise of being a big time quarterback. Years into their development I was still saying “if one or two plays go a little different we win” or “you can’t just blame the quarterback”. While that’s true....if there isn’t a dramatic step forward in year 0 or year 1....there probably isn’t going to be one. With Adrian we are in year 3 and he’s getting progressively worse. I know I know I am not at practice, it’s not as simple as arm chair quarterbacking....but Saturdays don’t lie. I do not know if Luke has it in him because he hasn’t really had the chance to show it. Adrian has and hasn’t lived up to the position.

Thoughts?
bigger arm? perhaps in circumference

The biggest thing going against Martinez is he has lost so many games I don't think he believes he could win anymore.

Luke understands the offense much better and can move the ball really well between the 20s. His biggest downfall right now is he turns into a different player inside the redzone.

Adrian clearly does NOT have have a bigger arm. His passing has been atrocious going back to 2019. Maybe he had a better arm once but that's obviously not there on Saturdays.

Luke clearly IS a better runner. Like by what measure are you guys still thinking Adrian is even close to as good running as Luke is? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills that it's enough for Adrian to have like two runs a game where he actually nuts up and attacks up the field and people think he's this weapon with his feet.

I suspect that Adrian's upside is he doesn't make a lot of disastrous decisions. He's the "play not to lose" QB where he isn't making enough plays to put up points, but he's also mostly not committing a bunch of turnovers and making tons of stupid plays.

I suspect that Luke is more of a gambler and tends to force things. Can't quit on a play type of dude, which sometimes is great and sometimes it's a trainwreck. Scrambles around too long, won't throw it away until he's already in the grasp and then fumbles it type stuff.

So I think Luke has both the higher ceiling and maybe the lower floor at this point. But what choice do you have? Adrian is the QB with tons of losses on his ledger. He hasn't gotten any better, he's gotten worse. You have to let McCaffrey start and see if he can spark something. You're already losing games, what are you gonna do. lose the game twice on the same day?

The biggest thing going against Martinez is he has lost so many games I don't think he believes he could win anymore.

Luke understands the offense much better and can move the ball really well between the 20s. His biggest downfall right now is he turns into a different player inside the redzone.

I think this is a good assessment. As far as the red zone, I'm not sure that is a LM problem, as much as a Nebraska problem at the moment. The only short yardage answer we have had since Frost has been here is to run AM behind Mills. We need to find more answers, especially if LM is the guy. I think the option and jet sweeps to Wandale, would be a good idea, when we can't run right at people (like against NW).

I think he has the stronger arm for sure, but what does it matter if you can't find or hit the open man?
LM has completed 3x the deep passes as AM in a fraction of the attempts

I don't care who curls more weight. AM is quickly devolving into philip rivers.

Reactions: BleedRed78
One tends to trip or fall down in the open field without being touched.
One does not.
On the run where McCaffrey scrambled and took off for the sideline to stop the clock, does anyone here really believe that Martinez could've possibly made it out too without being caught from behind or tripping? Not a damn chance. Dude has tree trunks for legs and still runs like a baby giraffe

Adrian

Luke

Thoughts?
I have been an AM apologist but bit's tough to argue your assessment imo.

AM has a bigger arm, but deep ball accuracy nullifies that pro. Luke is more accurate deep, even is it isn't the prettiest looking thing.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT