ADVERTISEMENT

"Program of old glory, content with managing big time current day revenue"

Shermski77

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2009
Denver, CO
Some Oregon beat writer said something along the lines of this and damn if it hasn't stuck with me since reading it sometime Saturday morning (I'm still searching for the article). The author mentioned us along with Notre Dame, and Texas as these kind of programs. These are the kind of thoughts that keep me up at night.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Some Oregon beat writer said something along the lines of this and damn if it hasn't stuck with me since reading it sometime Saturday morning (I'm still searching for the article). The author mentioned us along with Notre Dame, and Texas as these kind of programs. These are the kind of thoughts that keep me up at night.

That's rich. Have the Oregon Beatwriter give Nebraska a jingle after the Duck's 355th consecutive sellout and 5th National Championship, and we'll discuss being "content with money".

That's rich. Have the Oregon Beatwriter give Nebraska a jingle after the Duck's 355th consecutive sellout and 5th National Championship, and we'll discuss being "content with money".
How about winning even one national championship and being known for something other than the many uniform combinations you have. Yeah, they're popular with the kids, but that doesn't win championships. They don't even have one of those meaningless national championships from a long time ago where some organization decided to declare them national champion and give them a trophy. Even Iowa has one of those. I've said it before, but the only people who ridicule teams with great tradition are those from teams who have no tradition to speak of themselves.

Reactions: SOHusker11
They have played in 2 National title games dispite losing both and the last 15-16 years giving exception to last year they are one of the top 5-6 teams in the country in winning pct.

And we lost identity when Pederson hired Callahan dispite one of the post that slams Solich is when we made our turn for the worse which I disagree with him.

Have a lot of respect for the Oregon fans I meet in Eugene over some writer who just has to write an article.

Oregon's only claim to fame was being damn lucky enough to have Phil Knight born in their state. They were a cute little joke until the founder of Nike threw his entire weight behind the athletic department. Or do they have that short of memories?

What's Nebraska have in comparison, center-pivot irrigation and Hallmark Cards?

We lost our identity when the Big 12 was formed. The big 8 had a combined population smaller than the entire state of texas. Then all of a sudden we had 4 teams added that could steal players from us, command national attention over us, and dominate national games and bowl tie ins. Look at our success pre-Big 12 and post big 12, it is the cause of our problems. But we are in a similar non-fit in the big 10, michigan and ohio state get precedent and preference, and we are 5th or 6th fiddle. At least in the big 12 we we a little higher on the rung.

Did the writer add that Oregon plays in a joke of a stadium sitting 55k? Our fan base only looked really big last week cause of the total.

And the major problem @ Oregon isn't building more seats. Phil Knight would build a new stadium or at least expand. The problems is getting more people to care about duck football.

Reactions: timnsun
Did the writer add that Oregon plays in a joke of a stadium sitting 55k? Our fan base only looked really big last week cause of the total.

And the major problem @ Oregon isn't building more seats. Phil Knight would build a new stadium or at least expand. The problems is getting more people to care about duck football.
Fairweather fans. Social event. ...where we're headed if we don't regenerate current generation winning culture.

Your sellout streak is nice - but give us a call when you have your 7th national championship. Sincerely, Minnesota Fan.

Great example. Don't equate on the field results from year to year with contentment. Minnesota has made several hires over the years in an effort to improve, including their latest. So, according to this (and some comments above), I shouldn't be proud of the sellout streak, or past glory. Alright then. Let's try this another way.

Since the halcyon days of Osborne, we have fired a coach that took us to the national championship game, a coach that brought in one of our highest rated recruiting classes, and one that won at least 9 out of 12 times every year. 2 of these coaches were fired after winning seasons. To much scorn from the fanbase, the administration has made comments such as "we will not surrender the Big 12 to the likes of Oklahoma and Texas" and (paraphrasing here) "that was Iowa we just beat, not Ohio State. We don't want to be Iowa". In our division Northwestern and Iowa cling to their current head coaches like grim death because they know who they are. We would fire Fitzgerald and Ferentz for the same year over year records at Nebraska.

Oregon has put a lot of effort and money in recent years, and I admire their innovation. But no fishwrap hack gets to diss Nebraska for being content to count dollars, in my book. Especially some new money snoot covering the Ducks. Our program might never be elite again (who knows?) but I'm not worried about the effort. I'll worry about that when more pearl clutching fans quit showing up in droves, or caring, or thinking we're already dead.

Reactions: Crushinator
Great example. Don't equate on the field results from year to year with contentment. Minnesota has made several hires over the years in an effort to improve, including their latest. So, according to this (and some comments above), I shouldn't be proud of the sellout streak, or past glory. Alright then. Let's try this another way.

Since the halcyon days of Osborne, we have fired a coach that took us to the national championship game, a coach that brought in one of our highest rated recruiting classes, and one that won at least 9 out of 12 times every year. 2 of these coaches were fired after winning seasons. To much scorn from the fanbase, the administration has made comments such as "we will not surrender the Big 12 to the likes of Oklahoma and Texas" and (paraphrasing here) "that was Iowa we just beat, not Ohio State. We don't want to be Iowa". In our division Northwestern and Iowa cling to their current head coaches like grim death because they know who they are. We would fire Fitzgerald and Ferentz for the same year over year records at Nebraska.

Oregon has put a lot of effort and money in recent years, and I admire their innovation. But no fishwrap hack gets to diss Nebraska for being content to count dollars, in my book. Especially some new money snoot covering the Ducks. Our program might never be elite again (who knows?) but I'm not worried about the effort. I'll worry about that when more pearl clutching fans quit showing up in droves, or caring, or thinking we're already dead.

And now my friend Mediocre Mike Riley and your AD are destroying your once proud program.

It's like watching frogs boil. One day you will awaken and your string will be over. The fans will have found other things to do. There is tarnish on your program and no urgency to polish it. That contract extension is proof.

You fired people because 9 wins were not good enough. Now many of your fans are accepting Mediocre Mike's chances for 7 wins. It's sick your administration is letting it happen.

Be like Penn State. Bring it back, not down.

Penn State should be your template. Damn it people, get your heads out of your asses!!! The B1G West needs Nebraska to be a factor.

You should be the ones succeeding like Penn State.

Stop worrying about some local click-bait journalist who knows his article can get hits simply by offending Nebraska fans. The word "content" proves his stupidity. Does anyone honestly think the honchos at Nebraska, Texas and Notre Dame are content with mediocre programs as long as the money continues? Highly paid administrators want to keep their jobs and I doubt if balancing on the high wire act of slightly-over-.500 seasons leaves them feeling "content". Let's all just agree that EVERYONE is trying to win. Some just suck at it.

Stop worrying about some local click-bait journalist who knows his article can get hits simply by offending Nebraska fans. The word "content" proves his stupidity. Does anyone honestly think the honchos at Nebraska, Texas and Notre Dame are content with mediocre programs as long as the money continues? Highly paid administrators want to keep their jobs and I doubt if balancing on the high wire act of slightly-over-.500 seasons leaves them feeling "content". Let's all just agree that EVERYONE is trying to win. Some just suck at it.

There is at least one poster on this forum that thinks that way. They said so in another thread. They believe Nebraska hired Riley to save money and earn the most profit possible.

Reactions: Shermski77
There is at least one poster on this forum that thinks that way. They said so in another thread. They believe Nebraska hired Riley to save money and earn the most profit possible.

Well shoot, we could have hired Frost, saved another million or so, and ran the ball more.

Yes, EVERYONE is trying to win. But not all admins get it done. Penn State has succeeded, Nebraska's admin has and continues to fail. They just extended mediocre results.

Your change likely needs to be initiated at the top, your Board of Regents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shermski77
Yes, EVERYONE is trying to win. But not all admins get it done. Penn State has succeeded, Nebraska's admin has and continues to fail. The just extended mediocre results.

You change likely needs to be initiated at the top, your Board of Regents.

You do realize you are Iowa and just extended mediocre through the middle of the next decade, right? Perhaps you should be consulting your own admin.

And now my friend Mediocre Mike Riley and your AD are destroying your once proud program.

It's like watching frogs boil. One day you will awaken and your string will be over. The fans will have found other things to do. There is tarnish on your program and no urgency to polish it. That contract extension is proof.

You fired people because 9 wins were not good enough. Now many of your fans are accepting Mediocre Mike's chances for 7 wins. It's sick your administration is letting it happen.

Be like Penn State. Bring it back, not down.

Penn State should be your template. Damn it people, get your heads out of your asses!!! The B1G West needs Nebraska to be a factor.

You should be the ones succeeding like Penn State.

You have to be shitting me. Someone from a program who can't throw money at / extend Kirk Ferentz fast enough having the nads to call any other coach in America "mediocre", or intimate that ANY other program has settled for being "mediocre"?

LMAO.

What's next, Chris Christie coming in here telling us to put our nachos down?

I don't crow about 5 national championships. And we're Iowa. Not effing Nebraska. I'm trying to help you egotistical guys out.

You have fans who now want to be like Iowa.

Be like Penn State, man. Get you dumb asses up that mountain again. You ain't gonna do it with Mediocre Mike. WAKE UP!!

And I'm not comparing you to Iowa. You used to have blue blood. It ain't blue no more.

Reactions: otismotis08
You do realize you are Iowa and just extended mediocre through the middle of the next decade, right? Perhaps you should be consulting your own admin.

We're Iowa. Not effing Nebraska. We're excited with two wins in a row against you guys. 40-10 was a big deal to us. And it now longer seems to bother you people.:(

I don't crow about 5 national championships. And we're Iowa. Not effing Nebraska. I'm trying to help you egotistical guys out.

You have fans who now want to be like Iowa.

Be like Penn State, man. Get you dumb asses up that mountain again. You ain't gonna do it with Mediocre Mike. WAKE UP!!

And I'm not comparing you to Iowa. You used to have blue blood. It ain't blue no more.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking at this from a different perspective now.

Who better to help out a program rise above complacency and mediocrity than fans of a program that has defined those two words for its entire existence, including present day?

Thanks for the help. I'm looking at this from a different perspective now.

Who better to help out a program rise above complacency and mediocrity than fans of a program that has defined those two words for its entire existence, including present day?

Wish I could help you bud, but some things just can't be done. You'll have to get it out yourself.

Blue Bloods are made through out history not just a couple of years or one decade....

Iowa fans don't know what a blue blood is unless they talk about Rassling.

Blue Bloods are made through out history not just a couple of years or one decade....

Iowa fans don't know what a blue blood is unless they talk about Rassling.

2017 - 1997 = 20

10 years = One Decade

This means members of the Nebraska class of 2017 were likely 2 years old and have no memory of your last national championship.

Your illustrious black shirts last played in a conference championship game in 2012 and gave up an embarrassing 70 points.

You are in decline Scarletred.

Wake up before it's over......

2017 - 1997 = 20

10 years = One Decade

This means members of the Nebraska class of 2017 were likely 2 years old and have no memory of your last national championship.

Your illustrious black shirts last played in a conference championship game in 2012 and gave up an embarrassing 70 points.

You are in decline Scarletred.

Wake up before it's over......

My God Nebraska has been playing football for 127 years....

Again dip shit it's over time that is what a blue blood is...

And since you're bring it up Nebraska is 14th in the last 20 years and you're Herky's are are tied for 36th with a 0.58000 winning pct.

Last edited:
Glad people are starting to Wake Up. There are so many who haven't yet.

A sober person, never being a drunk, is the last person to give advice on that topic.

Just pointing out how backwards your thought process actually is.

Exactly what I was saying. Can't imagine a better fan base to spot mediocrity than the herkies. Not sure they have a clue what to do about it, though.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT