ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Wild Day in MLB

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
bloopers and scary situations abound on this rare nice mid-April day across the country

I'm not going to post it, but 2 batters after the Sox RF fell down the Twins' shortstop took a heater to the face & was bleeding all over. got up and walked off under his own power but guessing he'll spend some time in the dentist's chair. hope he's okay

Growing up frequently tripping over my own feet and playing mostly outfield I can sympathize with Sheets. Funny stuff though.

As for the ump getting hit with that relay throw that looked scary. But he popped right back up... we can say whatever we want about major league umps but they are tough SOBs

Reactions: king_kong_
Is that the third batter hit in the face this year? Is the pitch clock getting in the pitchers heads? Pitchers are already head cases. Hard to believe more batters haven't started wearing the helmet with the partial wrap around.

Is that the third batter hit in the face this year? Is the pitch clock getting in the pitchers heads? Pitchers are already head cases. Hard to believe more batters haven't started wearing the helmet with the partial wrap around.
the C-flap would've very likely taken the brunt of this one today had the batter been wearing it

you bring up an interesting point about the clock impacting pitchers, and one that I heard from very inside baseball people prior to the season but not many otherwise.

because of the added pace, they're having to exert max energy more frequently, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see even fewer starters going deep into games/get more fatigued mid-inning than before

because of the added pace, they're having to exert max energy more frequently, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see even fewer starters going deep into games/get more fatigued mid-inning than before
The woosification of professional sports continues.

bloopers and scary situations abound on this rare nice mid-April day across the country

I'm not going to post it, but 2 batters after the Sox RF fell down the Twins' shortstop took a heater to the face & was bleeding all over. got up and walked off under his own power but guessing he'll spend some time in the dentist's chair. hope he's okay
Lost 4 teeth and had a “major laceration”. Damn. He’s been playing well. This could destroy his career.

Growing up frequently tripping over my own feet and playing mostly outfield I can sympathize with Sheets. Funny stuff though.

As for the ump getting hit with that relay throw that looked scary. But he popped right back up... we can say whatever we want about major league umps but they are tough SOBs
5f391c88-acbb-40f2-8dfb-360739038a8b_text.gif

A friend of mine played 13 years for the As and batted .400 against Nolan Ryan with 4 homeruns
You’ve sent me down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out who you are referring to. I’ve come up with absolutely nothing. That’s either a great troll (well done if so), or my baseball reference skills need serious work.

A friend of mine played 13 years for the As and batted .400 against Nolan Ryan with 4 homeruns
Who was it? The player with the highest career batting average against Ryan with a minimum of 25 ABs was Bruce Bochte at .385.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Who was it? The player with the highest career batting average against Ryan with a minimum of 25 ABs was Bruce Bochte at .385.
Here’s a Nolan Ryan story. John Morris came up to the majors and batted for the first time against Nolan Ryan. The catcher laughed at him and said “you ready for this?”
Morris gets into the box. First pitch, Ryan throws a four seamer for a strike, but the hissing sound that the ball made as it wizzed by was so loud and unlike anything Morris had ever heard.
Morris turned to the catcher and said, “Are you f’ing kidding me!”

I think OP is full of shit , but it would surprise you of some stats out there of players having success against great players that would floor you. I remember George Brett having like a 259 lifetime BA against Cleveland. Cleveland sucked in those days and Brett is a lifetime 305 average and a Hall if fame player.

Reactions: mgbreis
I said two different eras. That was all that needed to be said. Try to keep up. Training and development is all together different. So is strategy. Like pulling out a starter who is throwing a no hitter because their pitch count is getting high. Oh the horror.
And he said league average pitcher. Seems you are the one that needs some remedial reading comprehension classes

You’ve sent me down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out who you are referring to. I’ve come up with absolutely nothing. That’s either a great troll (well done if so), or my baseball reference skills need serious work.
Dick Green. 2nd base. Was on the cover of SI with a game saving diving stop. Great guy. 3 WSC rings.

Dick Green had 10 PA vs Nolan Ryan, batted .222 with zero home runs.
Source? Mine is just word of mouth from another friend of his. I can’t find a single site with his stats against Ryan.

Edit. I found your source I think. It would appear I was mislead. 🙁

Last edited:
Source? Mine is just word of mouth from another friend of his. I can’t find a single site with his stats against Ryan.

Edit. I found your source I think. It would appear I was mislead. 🙁

He dominated Ryan in Spring Training.

Since he got paid he’s been horrible

Very weird signing to begin with....I could see a more successful and larger market team making that signing, but it isn't like this guy was going to put that franchise over the top and for what they had to pay him to get him there? Hard pass.

Very weird signing to begin with....I could see a more successful and larger market team making that signing, but it isn't like this guy was going to put that franchise over the top and for what they had to pay him to get him there? Hard pass.
Too lazy to look up whether his signing was before Hinch was hired or after. Because he definitely does not seem like the kind of player Hinch would like.

Too lazy to look up whether his signing was before Hinch was hired or after. Because he definitely does not seem like the kind of player Hinch would like.
it was a year after, and I agree with you and litespeed

when the Mets let you walk, it's not a great sign

he's also a very anti-analytics type guy - very emotion-driven, lots of swing & miss, shaky defense, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT