ADVERTISEMENT

Pretend Whipple was the interim head coach..

I am so torn over Mikey right now. The guy appears to have a lot of passion and he definitely has a lot of character. I just wonder what he would do with his own coaches here and his own players.
Same here.

Mickey inherited a huge mess, HC fired, he fired the DC and working hard to turn a oweinial mess into a winning season. Who would want to walk into that?

Since he is not an alum, How many would defend him like Mickey? Exactly... None. Move on and find a qualified coach with some history and get this thing moving in the right direction.
It’s a process. It’s not like Trev is waiting to see how MJ does before he starts looking for a new coach.

Since he is not an alum, How many would defend him like Mickey? Exactly... None. Move on and find a qualified coach with some history and get this thing moving in the right direction.
I've read that online about Mickey not being "qualified". It makes me wonder what "qualification" Mickey is missing.

Part of me wants Mickey. I want to want Mickey. I don’t think he’s the dude. But none of that has anything to do with him being an alumni. It has to do with him being an ace recruiter. And I think there is a ‘bird in hand’ situation going on. Whipple isn’t going to be a HC somewhere, but Mickey may be able to land the ASU or Colorado job. It feels like some of it could be that there’s a fear of him being successful somewhere else.

Then pair that with no real ‘sure fire’ candidates out there that will unify the fan base.

The more interesting question for me is, does the new coach want to keep Mickey (if he’d stay)? Every coach would love his recruiting ability, but would the current players be more loyal to Mickey than the new coach? What coach wants to deal with a #2 who’s not ‘your guy’ that holds the locker room?

Based on yesterdays game, the ability make game winning coaching decisions.
The only way to get experience is to be out there doing something and learn from your mistakes. Mickey learned something yesterday. He may never make that mistake again. Plus, when it comes to experience Mickey is the only candidate who knows this program inside and out. So I don't think Mickey's experience is a negative.

Our recruiting has stunk for years now (don't be fooled by star ratings) and I don't see anyone who would be a better recruiter as a head coach than Mickey. I think Mickey would be the best motivator and team builder that we've had since Bo Pelini. But Mickey is more positive, professional and sets a better example for his athletes than Bo.

If we can keep Mickey as assistant head coach, he could still make a good impact in those areas. But we'd still have to find the right guy as HC.

Based on yesterdays game, the ability make game winning coaching decisions.
You would think since 99.9% of this room felt a QB change was in order after 3-4 straight 3 and outs Trev would be asking himself that same question.

When NU got up 10-0, I wouldn't have given a crap if they alternated QBs every other series if it was allowing NU to move the ball for a 1st down or two and run the play clock down to 2-3 seconds each snap, as long as there was some offensive movement being shown by a QB.

I'd be throwing those dink passes, have the QB out of the pocket with the chance to run if the patterns broke down, and find a way to move the chains and stay in bounds to shorten the game. But rolling Purdy out to throw the ball is laughable with the floating ducks he unleashes.

I also asked myself, after 8+ games, what the **** is Rahmir doing in the backfield? Was that nothing more than a pacification for his dropping that key pass last week?

Everything in athletics isn't about emotions, it might be about winning some ****ing games along the way.

One of the most poorly led and coached games I've watched from NU during these two decades of charades.

The game was there for the taking.

If Whipple was HC we would have lost each game by 20+ points- MJ has them fighting and believing, even being shorthanded. He gets the BG10 and some just dont and want to impose their will on it.
He has the "salesmanship" to be HC., which is a key element to being a good HC. You have to be able to sell your idea, your vision, your passion and having the players "buy" it and Buy in. All the coaches who are successful are good salesmen. Whipple is not a saleman, he is a strategist.
MJ just needs to find the best DC and OC and he would do great and bring in some big time recruits. Also, needs to focus on his OL and DL recruits 1st but I think he gets that and some other coaches dont.

If Whipple was HC we would have lost each game by 20+ points- MJ has them fighting and believing, even being shorthanded. He gets the BG10 while other coaches believe they can just bring in whatever has worked for them elsewhere and it will manifest.
He has the "salesmanship" to be HC., which is a key element to being a good HC. You have to be able to sell your idea, your vision, your passion and having the players "buy" it and Buy in. All the coaches who are successful are good salesmen. Whipple is not a saleman, he is a strategist.
MJ just needs to find the best DC and OC and he would do great and bring in some big time recruits. Also, needs to focus on his OL and DL recruits 1st but I think he gets that and some other coaches dont.
Also, MJ recognized that Smothers was the next guy up but he is handicapped because he has been instructed to let the OC do his thing and not get too involved from the Top.

Last edited:
I really don’t think the people clamoring for Mickey are doing it because he’s an alum. It’s not like he was a star or played on championship teams. I think the people that want Mickey like who he is as a person and the way he has attacked the job head on. He is an impressive man and an ace recruiter.

If Whipple was HC we would have lost each game by 20+ points- MJ has them fighting and believing, even being shorthanded. He gets the BG10 and some just dont and want to impose their will on it.
I disagree with some of what you post here.

Whipple's strategy has been getting the ball to Palmer. Until the Illinois game, the strategy consisted of consistently getting the ball to Palmer. Once ILL started to put their hands on him, disrupting his patterns and taking him out of the game.

Trey has been a zero factor for 2 straight games. How many games would we expect NU to win by scoring 9 and 10 points? Illinois and Minnesota have effectively taken NU's biggest weapon away.

Having lost that large part of the offense has throttled this offense.

After 2 straight games, and with 2 of the best defenses NU will face all year coming up, what will Whipple's strategy now be?

Saying that Mickey would need to surround himself with top-quality OC/DC/OL coaches has been discussed on this forum for 8 weeks, it's nothing new. The idea of needing more OL and DL recruits has been talked about endlessly.

Reactions: bshirt73
Part of me wants Mickey. I want to want Mickey. I don’t think he’s the dude. But none of that has anything to do with him being an alumni. It has to do with him being an ace recruiter. And I think there is a ‘bird in hand’ situation going on. Whipple isn’t going to be a HC somewhere, but Mickey may be able to land the ASU or Colorado job. It feels like some of it could be that there’s a fear of him being successful somewhere else.

Then pair that with no real ‘sure fire’ candidates out there that will unify the fan base.

The more interesting question for me is, does the new coach want to keep Mickey (if he’d stay)? Every coach would love his recruiting ability, but would the current players be more loyal to Mickey than the new coach? What coach wants to deal with a #2 who’s not ‘your guy’ that holds the locker room?
Makes it even tougher for new hc when trying to decide whether to keep the IHC on staff. Would it work. It's one thing to keep a couple of asst coaches but a guy that was auditioning for the job??

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Lets not, please.

He's demonstrated an affinity for the passing game in a run heavy conference.

That said, I believe Scotts offense would have worked here if he had a McKenzie Milton type talent running it, but them guys are few and far between.

I've read that online about Mickey not being "qualified". It makes me wonder what "qualification" Mickey is missing.
Success as a coordinator, success as an associate head coach, success as a head coach and success as an interim coach are all things Mickey does not have. Literally the only reason to hire him is he is a former husker and people on here like that even though that same belief didn't workfor Nebraska the last five years.

The only way to get experience is to be out there doing something and learn from your mistakes. Mickey learned something yesterday. He may never make that mistake again. Plus, when it comes to experience Mickey is the only candidate who knows this program inside and out. So I don't think Mickey's experience is a negative.

Our recruiting has stunk for years now (don't be fooled by star ratings) and I don't see anyone who would be a better recruiter as a head coach than Mickey. I think Mickey would be the best motivator and team builder that we've had since Bo Pelini. But Mickey is more positive, professional and sets a better example for his athletes than Bo.

If we can keep Mickey as assistant head coach, he could still make a good impact in those areas. But we'd still have to find the right guy as HC.
Nebraska isn't a "learn on the job" type of place. Imagine if Alabama hired interim Joe kines just for the "feel good Disney story" instead of getting Saban? It would have been a joke. That is what you and others want here which is ridiculous. Mickey can go coach a g5 and if he does a really good job, maybe down the line he should be considered if an opening comes up. Now is not the time for experiments.

I really don’t think the people clamoring for Mickey are doing it because he’s an alum. It’s not like he was a star or played on championship teams. I think the people that want Mickey like who he is as a person and the way he has attacked the job head on. He is an impressive man and an ace recruiter.
if he brings in top notch coaches i think he could lead the program.
the part about nebraska starting out like gang busters then just seeming to fall apart is most disturbing to me. it's been going on well beyond mickey. part of a 60 minute game is adjustments and then adjustments to adjustments.

Reactions: WHCSC and headcard
Success as a coordinator, success as an associate head coach, success as a head coach and success as an interim coach are all things Mickey does not have. Literally the only reason to hire him is he is a former husker and people on here like that even though that same belief didn't workfor Nebraska the last five years.
Respectfully disagree. I think he brings a no BS attitude and humble approach that the players ( and fans)respect. I find it refreshing after Frost and Riley and their Mr Rogers act. MJ has the bluntness of Bo without the douchebag factor.

yes he lacks some experience but I dont know that Trev will find a guy who will bust his ass more than MJ. I think he could bring in a great staff as well.

Reactions: JOHNNY N and Dylman
No one would ......it would not even be a discussion.

Hypothetically if urban was named interm we could easily be in the same boat. See how stupid hypotheticals are?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I will take it one step further - if everything was exactly the same with the exception that Mickey played for any other school except Nebraska he wouldn’t even remotely be considered for the job at this point

Nebraska isn't a "learn on the job" type of place. Imagine if Alabama hired interim Joe kines just for the "feel good Disney story" instead of getting Saban? It would have been a joke. That is what you and others want here which is ridiculous. Mickey can go coach a g5 and if he does a really good job, maybe down the line he should be considered if an opening comes up. Now is not the time for experiments.
Incorrect. I don’t want Mickey to get the job. I want to hire the best coach for the job. Mickey has some winning attributes though. And he inherited a sh*t show so in that respect he probably never had a chance. But kids love playing for him and as HC he would have more recruiting prowess than any name I’ve seen so far.

I disagree. He has things going for him as I previously stated. That said, I trust Trev will find the right man for the job. Guaranteed that whoever it is he’ll be better than SF.

What traits does he possess to even consider him HC material at Nebraska? None really. The only thing the guy knows is passing game, that's it. He's not personable.. and by proxy, he's likely not a good recruiter either. He might be a good QB coach, but that is about his ceiling imo.

Healthwise, I stated earlier in the year that he's getting close to the wall..likely insulin resistant and diabetic, and he isn't going to last too much longer at that weight.

As to the alum factor, which is at the crux of your question, I think it does matter to a small extent. It's at least a big bullet point on a list of other bullet points.

When Callahan came in here, he had no idea what he was getting involved in.. and people turned on him real quick because he didn't understand those nuances about the way things are done at Nebraska.

So is it super important, no, but it is a consideration. It goes to fitment, and it should be part of the decision making tree imo.

Reactions: king_kong_
I hate to call other fans out but some of the posters on the Husker Board are delusional. I mean that in the most non offensive way. There are teams like Team A&M that have a coach like Jimbo Fisher who have won a national title, started the season at #6 in the country, have the #1 recruiting class and they have the same record as Nebraska. On top of that their coach makes over $100 million over 10 years. The point I am making is coaching a bunch of teenagers is hard. The difference between losing and winning comes down to a few plays each way. What makes us think that the teams we play are not trying hard to beat us every chance they get. Now top that off with us playing with coaches who are on the interim tag and you get some of our kids playing a little tense at times. This results in close losses. The fact that we are in every game is a testament to how much these players are buying in and want to play hard for MJ. Our problem this week is we started the wrong guy at quarterback. Purdy has a confidence problem. He plays the wrong position to be non confident.

You would think since 99.9% of this room felt a QB change was in order after 3-4 straight 3 and outs Trev would be asking himself that same question.

When NU got up 10-0, I wouldn't have given a crap if they alternated QBs every other series if it was allowing NU to move the ball for a 1st down or two and run the play clock down to 2-3 seconds each snap, as long as there was some offensive movement being shown by a QB.

I'd be throwing those dink passes, have the QB out of the pocket with the chance to run if the patterns broke down, and find a way to move the chains and stay in bounds to shorten the game. But rolling Purdy out to throw the ball is laughable with the floating ducks he unleashes.

I also asked myself, after 8+ games, what the **** is Rahmir doing in the backfield? Was that nothing more than a pacification for his dropping that key pass last week?

Everything in athletics isn't about emotions, it might be about winning some ****ing games along the way.

One of the most poorly led and coached games I've watched from NU during these two decades of charades.

The game was there for the taking.
I agree with almost everything you posted BUT we've seen more poorly coached games this season. Chin probably put some of the most illogical schemes on the field I've ever seen. At least this game mainly entailed only one very bad decision albeit one that lasted almost the whole game involving QBs.

Rhamir is on the field because he's earned the time in practice and he poses a threat to take one to the house. His plays got blown up Saturday but that wasn't his fault. He also plays because Yant can't pick up a blitz to save his life.

I agree with almost everything you posted BUT we've seen more poorly coached games this season. Chin probably put some of the most illogical schemes on the field I've ever seen. At least this game mainly entailed only one very bad decision albeit one that lasted almost the whole game involving QBs.

Rhamir is on the field because he's earned the time in practice and he poses a threat to take one to the house. His plays got blown up Saturday but that wasn't his fault. He also plays because Yant can't pick up a blitz to save his life.
lol, with a career long of 29 yards, Rahmir has never been a threat to take one to the house.

lol, with a career long of 29 yards, Rahmir has never been a threat to take one to the house.
he's got great speed. It's not his fault that he's played behind a crappy O line and had QBs who couldn't complete a short touch pass to a RB. He has a 41 yard catch for a TD. So much for the 29 yard career long. He has multiple other TDs as well.

As I recall that 41 yarder was a wheel route where he outran DBs who had the angle on him to the endzone. The guy is probably our fastest back and best in pass pro. He doesn't have Grant's power and wiggle.

I'll give you part of that. With Chins, NU was expected to take the beating as per usual.

I did not expect Mickey and Whip to just keep trotting out the same guy who would return every 3 plays, eager for another crack at a 3 and out next series.

For all the great words this staff said about Rahmir and Brody Belt, their on-the-field contribution over 9 games has been nil.

Yant seems to just be Yant.

Obviously, Trev knows he has to get this hire right. I just can’t see hiring a guy with no prior head coaching experience. We all like MJ but we need a track record of proven success at head coach. Mickey would be more of a risk than I believe Trev feels he can afford due to the pressure to get this right. Simply put, I would be shocked if MJ gets the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT