ADVERTISEMENT

Power 5 Teams with QB Transfer Needs

Cornicator

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
I'm officially on Holiday PTO. So I decided to pretend like I'm still working in order to avoid my wife's Christmas to-do list. This list is long, arduous, and annoying AF. These extra few hours of freedom provided me the opportunity to research all the Power 5 programs with "known" QB needs. I write "known" because any program could lose a starting QB to portal at anytime. I'm also assuming a few guys will choose the NFL going forward. The list does NOT include some programs that may be "shopping" for a new Portal QB with a returning starter. For instance, Wisconsin and Iowa would both probably like to bring in a new guy. Its impossible to know what some coaches are thinking, so I'm leaving those programs off the list.

There are also some programs below that may be perfectly content with not pursuing a Portal QB and sticking with their own developmental player. Iowa State comes to mind.

The real objective of this thread is to sit back and see where Nebraska falls on the pecking order for anticipated transfer landing spots. I'm also aware that if a highly regarded 5-Star wanted to leave a program like Bama, they might end transferring to a school like Ohio State even though no need exists. Those programs also don't fit into this list:

ACC:
Pitt
North Carolina - I believe Sam Howell will forego his last season
Duke

Big 12
Iowa State
West Virginia
TCU

Big 10
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

PAC 12
Colorado

SEC
Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
Auburn - will literally accept a transfer QB during a game week if possible.

Group of Five Notable Teams
Cincinnati
UCF

I doubt Iowa State branches out into the transfer portal for a QB, but I'm including them anyway. North Carolina is in a bit of a bind here until Howell announces his intentions. They've recruited well and may end up sticking with another guy already on their roster anyway.

Ranking the top 7 Prospects Currently Remaining with alleged links to Nebraska:

1. Kedon Slovis - USC - best pure thrower of the group, but rather immobile
2. Casey Thompson - Texas - Pass first dual threat. Would constantly lead his team back only to watch defense fade.
3. Cameron Ward - Incarnate Wood - Dominate Awful Competition. Played Wing-T QB in high school and only threw 80 passes before college - But looks like Freaking Steve McNair
4. Chubba Purdy - FSU - 4 seasons remaining - Dynamic HS star and heavily recruited Dual Threat - If Nebraska doesn't sign him I bet he goes to Northwestern, and that will suck.
5. Zach Calzada - Texas A&M - 3 Seasons remaining - Kind of a poor man's Slovis.
6. Peter Costelli - Utah - 4 seasons remaining - His mom doesn't like hunting pictures.
7. Tyler Johnston - UAB - under the radar dude who hasn't played much since 2019

I think Slovis probably has the best NFL potential of this group. However, I could also see Cam Ward becoming a sure fire #1 pick overall if he continues to dominate at the FBS or Power 5 level. Casey Thompson and Purdy are the two players who I think Nebraska should pursue the most because they are Pass first Dual threat guys. Nebraska hasn't had a QB with that skill set. Adrian was close, but he really struggled with intermediate routes and that often really crippled the team in the red zone.

If Nebraska did sign Cam Ward, half this board would freak out, but I can tell you I would be all in. The Steve McNair comparison is legit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News