ADVERTISEMENT

Post game thoughts

That goes back to develeopment too. The Davis twins were athletic freaks coming in and should have been a lock to be drafted. Mo Barry hasn't improved at all this year. But no development over 4 years will prevent all but the most elite talent from getting drafted.

A lot of players Pelini coached on defense were doing nothing but rotting under obscurity under Callahan. Pelini had a great defensive coaching staff when he first got here. A lot of those players wouldn't have been draft picks if they didn't play for Pelini and were still in Cosgrove's system.
In regards to your last sentence....I don't buy that.

Guys from bad teams get drafted all the time. Colorado was 5-7 in 2010 and had 2 guys drafted in the first round in the 2011 draft....3-10 in 2011 and had 2 get drafted (further down...Rounds 5 and 7) in 2012.

The main trade the Denver Broncos made to get John Elway involved their first rounder in 1983, Chris Hinton. He would go on to go to make 7 Pro-Bowls in 12 seasons at 3 spots on the OL. Hinton played at Northwestern. They were 4-40 in his 4 years.

If someone is good enough, they will get drafted or given a free-agent shot, regardless of how good their college team is.

That goes back to develeopment too. The Davis twins were athletic freaks coming in and should have been a lock to be drafted. Mo Barry hasn't improved at all this year. But no development over 4 years will prevent all but the most elite talent from getting drafted.

A lot of players Pelini coached on defense were doing nothing but rotting under obscurity under Callahan. Pelini had a great defensive coaching staff when he first got here. A lot of those players wouldn't have been draft picks if they didn't play for Pelini and were still in Cosgrove's system.
Mo, while maybe a fan favorite is not very athletic. Imo not likely NFL material.

Mo, while maybe a fan favorite is not very athletic. Imo not likely NFL material.

It's not his athleticism that's a problem. He is very undersized for a MLB. Just going off his troubles tackling and eyeballing him, his wingspan is probably not much beyond average either.

It's not his athleticism that's a problem. He is very undersized for a MLB. Just going off his troubles tackling and eyeballing him, his wingspan is probably not much beyond average either.
He’s pretty stiff. No way he tackles Fields on the first td.

Mo may have been "War Daddied"

Seems most of our team lost a step or two this off-season. But hey, they can all half squat a metric shit tonne
I don't know if it's all S&C, but our team does look very slow this year. Boe Wilson looks like a 40 year old truck driver. Most of our offensive line looks like that. Players are both small and slow and look exhausted before it's even gotten to the 2nd half. Duval may need to be the first coach out of here.

Berry plays his tail off. Love him. And Fields makes 9/10 D-1 Middle LBs look stupid with that much space. He’s an elite athlete and was the #1 player in the country at dual threat QB position

Reactions: SkerInCo
Barry. Mo Barry. No clue who this Berry guy is that people keep referring to.

Until the HC starts sitting any and ALL players for poor or non performance this will continue.

Just have to gut it out until that/those players pull their heads out or the HC gets replaced.

I just don't understand how the high snaps are acceptable. This is supposedly a timing based offense. Every time there's a high snap, it seems like it's a broken play right away because the timing is thrown off. Considering it's happening so frequently, it's handicapping yourself. How can you get into any kind of rhythmn when you're not sure where the snap is going?

That's a damn good question. It's probably not impossible but very, very difficult.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I think talent wise we a far below where Callahan left us. His downfall was having a doofus at DC.

His downfall was his ability to lose to anyone and by his 4th year he just got even better at losing (only two wins in the BigXII).

I must disagree placing blame on recruiting. NE has averaged a 22nd overall recruiting rank over the last 5 years. I would expect a better performance tonight. Wisconsin has averaged 40th, Iowa averaged 49th, and Northwestern 56th over the same span. Coaches need to be held accountable

BS, we have the worst 4* talent in the history of Rivals. I can't tell you how many 4* duds have come to Nebraska, and that is a fact. Maybe they are over-rated then get slow-played by everyone else, making it look they are good, when in fact they aren't worth a shit and hold no more "actionable" offers...

BS, we have the worst 4* talent in the history of Rivals. I can't tell you how many 4* duds have come to Nebraska, and that is a fact. Maybe they are over-rated then get slow-played by everyone else, making it look they are good, when in fact they aren't worth a shit and hold no more "actionable" offers...
Some of our Riley era highest ranked players were some of our biggest busts. Snyder's gone. Gebbia gone. Barnett gone. KJJ gone etc etc. Cav's O line recruits definitely left a lot to be desired. To be fair, Jaimes is very good and Wilson is serviceable. HAVE to develop our O line and quickly.

Some of our Riley era highest ranked players were some of our biggest busts. Snyder's gone. Gebbia gone. Barnett gone. KJJ gone etc etc. Cav's O line recruits definitely left a lot to be desired. To be fair, Jaimes is very good and Wilson is serviceable. HAVE to develop our O line and quickly.

That is the truth sir. But, I wish I knew how quickly that can be done.

That is the truth sir. But, I wish I knew how quickly that can be done.
I suspect fairly quickly. This past class was a very nice start and we've got a good start on the next class of O linemen. Riley IMO was a lazy recruiter in hindsight and took low hanging fruit. IMO, Cav wasn't maybe the best talent evaluator either although somehow someway he found Jaimes. I just don't think pure athleticism was as important to Cavanaugh as it should have been for his linemen. We HAVE to build OTs from high school TEs IMO because most high school tackles aren't athletic enough to play in the B1G. I also think we need to find a kid to play center who has demonstrated the ability to do it before he steps on campus OR at least has a couple of years to develop the skills before he starts a game. Throwing Juergens to the wolves really wasn't fair. EDIT, I'll say 3 years when this past class is seniors we'll have a really good O line. Maybe a year earlier than that.

I suspect fairly quickly. This past class was a very nice start and we've got a good start on the next class of O linemen. Riley IMO was a lazy recruiter in hindsight and took low hanging fruit. IMO, Cav wasn't maybe the best talent evaluator either although somehow someway he found Jaimes. I just don't think pure athleticism was as important to Cavanaugh as it should have been for his linemen. We HAVE to build OTs from high school TEs IMO because most high school tackles aren't athletic enough to play in the B1G. I also think we need to find a kid to play center who has demonstrated the ability to do it before he steps on campus OR at least has a couple of years to develop the skills before he starts a game. Throwing Juergens to the wolves really wasn't fair. EDIT, I'll say 3 years when this past class is seniors we'll have a really good O line. Maybe a year earlier than that.

Hmmm, that sounds reasonable I would guess. It'll take lots & lots of cases of "Becks dark" to get me through three years.....but I can hack it! For NU to have a real pipeline again would have me drooling over everything.

Good point on Juergens too.....he's trying his best and the guy is instantly playing the Big10 animals already. Whew! If he can survive he'll be something else in a couple of years. We'll hope for the best!

Thanks for the reply dinglefritz.

Berry plays his tail off. Love him. And Fields makes 9/10 D-1 Middle LBs look stupid with that much space. He’s an elite athlete and was the #1 player in the country at dual threat QB position
Have a lot of respect for Mo Barry but that doesn't mean he has NFL ability.

Have a lot of respect for Mo Barry but that doesn't mean he has NFL ability.
I think he's taken a step back this year and looks smaller too. I don't think he was a great player last year by any means, but he was making more plays than he is this year.

Jaimes is good, he could play on Sundays. Nobody else blows me away, and we are going to be calling upon Redshirt Freshman soon to fill the gap, which is why I think Frost has such a challenge ahead of him.

He needs to flip the roster (again) and get rid of all these guys that aren't going to be competitive. He needs a big dose of speed and rushing ability at OLB and some hogs on the DL.

We should be ok on the OL if some of these Redshirt Freshman step-up. I think it's the least of our worries right now, recruiting wise if we can fill another class this year. The LB and DL are a big ???

Tall task for any HC. Frost needs to be brutally honest about a kid's future and cut him loose if he can't cut it asap. Rather role with new faces than watch a 4th year starter get his ass kicked.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Jaimes is good, he could play on Sundays. Nobody else blows me away, and we are going to be calling upon Redshirt Freshman soon to fill the gap, which is why I think Frost has such a challenge ahead of him.

He needs to flip the roster (again) and get rid of all these guys that aren't going to be competitive. He needs a big dose of speed and rushing ability at OLB and some hogs on the DL.

We should be ok on the OL if some of these Redshirt Freshman step-up. I think it's the least of our worries right now, recruiting wise if we can fill another class this year. The LB and DL are a big ???

Tall task for any HC. Frost needs to be brutally honest about a kid's future and cut him loose if he can't cut it asap. Rather role with new faces than watch a 4th year starter get his ass kicked.
I suspect that maybe Farniok's days as a starting OT are numbered. He clearly can't move like he needs to in order to play tackle in the B1G. Where it all shakes out is anybody's guess but I think we're probably 2-3 years from being able to field the O line that Frost wants. Hopefully by AMart's senior year they'll have it put back together.

I suspect that maybe Farniok's days as a starting OT are numbered. He clearly can't move like he needs to in order to play tackle in the B1G. Where it all shakes out is anybody's guess but I think we're probably 2-3 years from being able to field the O line that Frost wants. Hopefully by AMart's senior year they'll have it put back together.

That would be a gift from God. Please let it come.....

maybe someone who rewatched the game with a focus on the offensive line can comment but we seemed to have left Farniok singled up against a top 5 NFL draft pick quite frequently if not exclusively ... perhaps he was given more help than I appreciated at the time

Jaimes may be our worst run blocker. Yeah he's a decent pass blocker, but he isn't much better overall than any of the other lineman.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Jaimes may be our worst run blocker. Yeah he's a decent pass blocker, but he isn't much better overall than any of the other lineman.

We have had many, many descent OL that even made it in the NFL, but looked like shit at Nebraska because we have no Offensive Identity.

This team is the same. Martinez is wildly over-rated, now Frost has to protect him, and low and behold we might have better run blocking lineman than pass blocking lineman.

It's like drawing plays up in a pick-up game.

Note to Board: I am not a happy camper right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT