ADVERTISEMENT

Position by Position review vs. Last Year

Scrunge68

Senior
Dec 12, 2007
Omaha, NE via Grand Island
Looking at each position and giving my take on how we compared to last year.

QB: Armstrong should be improved with some actually QB coaching as far as accuracy and decision making. I would be happy if he got into the high 50's on his completion percentage and anything above 60% is a real bonus. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the new offense and how the coaches adapt to his abilities.

Slight Improvement

RB: Ameer obviously can't be replaced and will be missed in most aspects of the game. Will see who steps up. Though I think we are very talented at this position it is unproven.

Medium Decline

WR: Losing Kenny Bell is a blow to the core along with a bunch of departures following spring ball. These don't concern me all that much. Westerkamp, Pierson-Els and the rest of the crew should be able to hold there own and I think the coaching will be much better. I think you will see an improvement on releasing from the line, running proper routes (can't count the number of times we had multiple recievers in the same zone last year). Also think the timing should be improved with Tommy

Slight Improvement (due to improved coaching and QB play)

TE: Everyone is a year older, a good freshman coming in and an offense that utilizes the tight end.

Moderate Improvement

Line: Tackle play should be improved with the coaching, strength and conditioning improvement as well as them being another year older. Guard play is unproven at this point though I certainly think talent wise we have a stop up with the group working there. Center is a huge question mark revolving around Reeves staying healthy. I see this as an upgrade over last year but it may take a couple of games to see this improvement.

Slight Upgrade

Defensive Tackle: Another year older and stronger with a defensive scheme that better suits the skill set. I think a little better rotation is going to help these guys go full bore when they are in the game versus what we had last year.

Slight Upgrade

DE: McMullen should be a little better than last year, Gangwish has a motor but not nearly the athlete Gregory was. However, Gregory was hurt much of last season so I don't think we will see the drop off there. Depthwise I think we are in the same boat as last year.

Push

LB: Huge question mark. I am going to give this a "push" just because of the unknowns. I think by the end of the year it will prove to be an upgrade but they are going to be relying on a lot of unproven talent. But that is going to depend a lot of Rose-Ivey's knee and how the freshman pick it up. Sorely lacking depth and experience.
Push with slight upgrade toward the end of years play.

Safety: Another years experience for Gerry, Cockrell at a more natural position and you guns in the wings.

Slight Improvement: Not a fan of Cory Cooper and I think another years experience on some of the young guys will cause an improvement.

Cornerback: I think the coaching and play will be better here. Davies has another year and I think any of the corners they are looking at will have a better year than Mitchell who gave a lot on the field but was just undersized. Little worried about depth of experience not necessarily talent

Push

Special Teams: Foltz...potential All -American...
Pierson-Els potential All American
Kicking game should improve. Special teams play should improve though they were much better last year then in previous years.

I think coaching and S&C will be better in a lot of areas which I think will instill some confidence in guys to make plays.

My prediction is 10-3 for the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News