ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: do you back into every parking space??

jw.3

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 5, 2013
are you one of those types who insists on clogging up parking lot traffic by executing a complicated 10 point backing in maneuver every time you park, or do you park like a normal person?

if you vote yes please identify yourself so i can put you on ignore

Originally posted by jw.3:
are you one of those types who insists on clogging up parking lot traffic by executing a complicated 10 point backing in maneuver every time you park, or do you park like a normal person?

If there are two open stacked spots I will drive forward into the first one and park in the second, so it looks like I backed in but I didn't. That way I avoid going into reverse at all, since there was a study done by UPS some years ago indicating most accidents occur while backing.

Does this put me on ignore or an I okay? TIA.

Originally posted by la jolla hskr:

If there are two open stacked spots I will drive forward into the first one and park in the second, so it looks like I backed in but I didn't. That way I avoid going into reverse at all, since there was a study done by UPS some years ago indicating most accidents occur while backing.

most have said this is a standard and indeed acceptable practice.

I'm absolutely floored and blown away when I see people backing their vehicles in unnecessarily....and, it's always unnecessary.

I could go into what stereotypes typically back into parking spots, but I'd imagine most who navigate these hallowed red seas are well aware of who these folks are.

#unbelievablydumb

As Sparky would attest to , Fireman are notorious for this. (not just volunteer ) Not sure why this would annoy anyone. I make sure nobody is behind me when I do it otherwise I don't do it. I have a truck so much easier to leave a spot this way. Ignore list here I come.

Oh my. Definitely one of the things that drives me crazy. Sure it's easier to get out, but you just looked like a jackass spending 17 minutes to get in.

I'm still concerned that you claimed that you once killed a man from Beeebeetown. As to this current question, this farmboy from Beebeetown was quite skilled at a young age at backing a trailer full of small hay bales into the east side of my Dad's barn with only a foot or so clearance on either side.

And this was when I was only 12 or 13 yrs old. So, fast forward to today and I take every opportunity to back into even the most difficult, narrow parking spot possible with the precision of a 1995 Tommie Frazier option play. And there has never been a moment of clogging or congestion while I perform my skillful endeavor.

Please feel free to put me on ignore!!

Backing in to parking lot spots and driveways was required as a Tech for Ma Bell. If a supervisor saw your vehicle pulled into a parking spot you would go home without pay. The reason was that the National Safety Board recommended it to companies due to a huge reduction in backing out accidents.

I always back into a spot. But surely not the back in diagonal spots in downtown Omaha. I do not get that.

Oh, And do not not ever back in to a spot in a heavy traffic area such as Bakers or HyVee. I do try and look for a pull in pull out option .. even if against the directional arrow.
This post was edited on 3/9 10:51 PM by 4norsemen

I used to until my first wife who always bitched about it and I got a divorce. Now, what's the point?

Originally posted by Redinwashington:
So how many fender benders are caused by backing in?
No trailer? Look in the mirror and turn the wheel in the direction you want to go. Cake. (With a trailer? Especially a one axel? I'm screwed.)

It's a quandry for me. I want everyone to see my sweet grill guard but at the same time everyone should be aware of my symbolic pistons hanging off of my hitch that compliments my sitting lady mud flaps.

Well at U.P. they actually spent money on a campaign very recently on just this thing. Back in.. tbumbs up.. pull in like a normal turd and you get a lamented flyer placed under your wipers stating you have been noticed and have a construction sign with programmable messages flashing generic business sayings i.e. " Be Safe " Good Job " etc etc...

Plus flyers inside, TEAMS of people in retardo reflective vests giving you "guidance" on what a great job you're doing using the hand rails, walking with your hands not in your pockets and keeping all electronic devices out of your hands whilst strolling anywhere.

This is all par for the course.

U.Ps greatest hits.

1. How to properly push elevator buttons.
2. How to walk defensively.
3. How to properly close desk drawers.
4. Being safe while selecting and grabbing vending machine snacks.
5. Turning Safety stand downs into Stock briefings.
6. The best/worst paper crumbling against face reaction... the Office Space 8 Mgrs approaching you stating the EXACT same thing.

I grew up on a farm, then worked construction, so backing up, especially with a trailer is something I did all the time. But the person who has to back into a parking spot ranks right up thier with the person that drives slow in the fast lane, still writes checks, has to hunt for the exact change, has more then 20 items in the 20 item or less line, shows up late for sporting events, movies or other things that cause those on time to miss action, or shows up late for anything (making other wait, and showing how little respect they have for them), stops in a crowded room or walk way to gawk or talk (so no one else can move), in other words, the people that stroll through life. Unfortunately I have a type A personality to go along with ADD and high anxiety. The problem is I am the one that will get the heart attack, so the other group gets the last laugh.

I'll take the bait.

I worked my way through college as a truck driver, so I'm adept and skilled at backing into a parking stall in one try. I do so in my Avalanche, but never in high traffic areas. I park farther out, if need be, as to not inconvenience my fellow shoppers or event attendees. But it's far safer for me to pull out forward than to back out when driving that truck. Cars - it's a rarity when I back in as the visibility is much greater and I can see (unless a truck or van has pulled into the spot next to me) what I'm doing when I back out of the parking spot.

JoRo, has UP came out with a 2015 saftey book update yet?

Like the entire book, not just certain rules.

I back in where there is a curb area cause I own a crew cab pick up. This is so I don't stick out and get whacked. It also allows others to get by easier. So, go ahead and put me on ignore. This poll is just stupid.
This post was edited on 3/10 6:53 AM by bobaroo

Originally posted by 4norsemen:
Backing in to parking lot spots and driveways was required as a Tech for Ma Bell. If a supervisor saw your vehicle pulled into a parking spot you would go home without pay. The reason was that the National Safety Board recommended it to companies due to a huge reduction in backing out accidents.

I always back into a spot. But surely not the back in diagonal spots in downtown Omaha. I do not get that.

Oh, And do not not ever back in to a spot in a heavy traffic area such as Bakers or HyVee. I do try and look for a pull in pull out option .. even if against the directional arrow.
This post was edited on 3/9 10:51 PM by 4norsemen
Agree with this. Manager for one of Ma Bell's children. Backing in is required. Studies show that drivers are more attentive when parking than when leaving. Therefore you should do the most dangerous activity (backing) when arriving rather than when leaving.

Originally posted by #HuskerBenDallas:
I'm absolutely floored and blown away when I see people backing their vehicles in unnecessarily....and, it's always unnecessary.

I could go into what stereotypes typically back into parking spots, but I'd imagine most who navigate these hallowed red seas are well aware of who these folks are.

#unbelievablydumb
Backing into parking spots regularly is ridiculously dumb as are the people that do it

I don't care whatsoever if people back into a spot but I worry about a fella that does it simply because he has concerns about his ability to back out of a spot.

And...and...and....Unless you pull forward from the other row at some point you need to back up.

Now if we can talk about the a-holes that take two spots so their 2012 Silverado doesn't get dinged you'll get me to rain fire on people....

I'll do it at a sporting event or a concert... this is to ensure that I am not the last one out of the parking lot. Much easier to drive forward into an onslaught of thousands trying to get out of the same lot vs. waiting an hour for someone to be kind enough to let you back out.

^^^^^^THIS right here^^^^^^

Originally posted by tuffout33:
As Sparky would attest to , Fireman are notorious for this. (not just volunteer ) Not sure why this would annoy anyone. I make sure nobody is behind me when I do it otherwise I don't do it. I have a truck so much easier to leave a spot this way. Ignore list here I come.
Exactly. Almost every time I'm in a parking garage I will back into a stall. I drive an F150 super cab with an 8' box and it's a bear to try and back out of a stall in the parking garages.

What OP said was the person that clogs up traffic to do it. If no one is behind you, I doubt anyone cares how you park. But it is annoying when you have to sit and wait while some guy wants to show off his ability to back into a stall. Like other have said, and it goes beyond firefighters, I can usually guess the type of person that feels the need to do this. Sometimes I wonder if they do it if NO ONE is watching.

Originally posted by sparky62:
Originally posted by tuffout33:
Exactly. Almost every time I'm in a parking garage I will back into a stall. I drive an F150 super cab with an 8' box and it's a bear to try and back out of a stall in the parking garages.
I pay for a parking garage for work as I work in downtown Lincoln. It is against garage rules to back into a stall. Additionally, it is grounds for being removed from the garage after multiple cited infractions...

Coincidently, it's also one of the most ridiculous rules I've ever heard.....

Originally posted by c_broadus:

#unbelievablydumb
Backing into parking spots regularly is ridiculously dumb as are the people that do it
Just think of the amount of time wasted in totality throughout one's lifetime performing this idiotic act strictly to be seen in a giant monster truck dually. No one cares, people already understand how douchy said driver is given the vehicle being driven. I SIMPLY don't "get it."

#absurd
This post was edited on 3/10 9:05 AM by #HuskerBenDallas

I follow the la jolla method of parking. Pull through if available, pull in otherwise. I have a guy that lives two houses down from me and backs his stupid Mitsubishi in every night. He's a douche.

Are you serious? You either back in and pull right out, or you pull in and have to back out, not being able to see and "clogging up parking lot traffic by executing a complicated 10 point backing maneuver" or into another car.

When you back in, you can use your mirrors and/or rearview camera to see exactly where the lines are and park perfectly center and parallel with the lines. If you have a large or long vehicle, backing in is much easier. People think it is to look cool, but fail to realize the function it serves. If someone doesn't understand this concept and complain about it, they are most likely a bad driver. Everyone should back in IMO.

Originally posted by Nebraska Power:
I grew up on a farm, then worked construction, so backing up, especially with a trailer is something I did all the time. But the person who has to back into a parking spot ranks right up thier with the person that drives slow in the fast lane, still writes checks, has to hunt for the exact change, has more then 20 items in the 20 item or less line, shows up late for sporting events, movies or other things that cause those on time to miss action, or shows up late for anything (making other wait, and showing how little respect they have for them), stops in a crowded room or walk way to gawk or talk (so no one else can move), in other words, the people that stroll through life. Unfortunately I have a type A personality to go along with ADD and high anxiety. The problem is I am the one that will get the heart attack, so the other group gets the last laugh.
You do whatever you want and won't have anyone telling you what to do and then you post this. Life is entertaining.

Originally posted by JoRoWI83:
Well at U.P. they actually spent money on a campaign very recently on just this thing. Back in.. tbumbs up.. pull in like a normal turd and you get a lamented flyer placed under your wipers stating you have been noticed and have a construction sign with programmable messages flashing generic business sayings i.e. " Be Safe " Good Job " etc etc...

Plus flyers inside, TEAMS of people in retardo reflective vests giving you "guidance" on what a great job you're doing using the hand rails, walking with your hands not in your pockets and keeping all electronic devices out of your hands whilst strolling anywhere.

This is all par for the course.

U.Ps greatest hits.

1. How to properly push elevator buttons.
2. How to walk defensively.
3. How to properly close desk drawers.
4. Being safe while selecting and grabbing vending machine snacks.
5. Turning Safety stand downs into Stock briefings.
6. The best/worst paper crumbling against face reaction... the Office Space 8 Mgrs approaching you stating the EXACT same thing.
This is the dumbest shit ever, I got "talked to" for walking into the HDC with the hands in my coat pocket on a day when it was frigid.

Backing into parking spots is something that shouldn't bother me but it does. Every time I see someone unnecessarily back into a spot, I immediately think d*****bag.

#unbelievablydumb
You're wrong. When you know EVERYONE will be leaving at the same time (school pick up, church, sporting event) and you aren't holding up anyone by backing in, it is ALWAYS appropriate to do so. This actually SAVES time when everyone is trying to leave at the same time.

I don't do it all the time, but I do it when the situation warrants it.

I posted my first response before I read the entirety of this thread.

Some of you are wound WAY too tight. Getting upset at people for taking a few more seconds to back into a spot? Judging and stereotyping people for the same? LOL

I have it bad enough with my own, but I'm glad I don't live in your worlds.

I not only back into the spot. I do it in such a poor manner as to ensure that one of my tires is always over the line, thereby rendering the adjacent parking spot useless.

60079930.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT