ADVERTISEMENT

Players Frost and our previous coaches inherited

huskerpete8

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Of all the criticism flying around about Coach Frost after just 2 seasons, what I think is most unfair is comparing his two-year record with those of his predecessors.

I believe he inherited BY FAR the worst roster of any Nebraska coach since Devaney. And while that’s impossible to prove, I think it’s obvious.

Given that Osborne and Solich both inherited loaded rosters, no need to even include them in this discussion. But I believe Callahan, Pelini and Riley all had significantly more talent and depth to work with when they took over than Frost.

I didn’t dig too deep, but here are some comparisons between the top players (in my opinion) each coach had waiting for him:

Callahan - Barrett Ruud (NFL), Adam Carriker (NFL) Fabian Washington (NFL), Stewart Bradley (NFL), Bullock brothers (NFL???), LeKevin Smith, Titus Adams, Matt Herian (prior to injury), Corey Ross, Terrance Nunn, Ross Pilkington

Pelini - Suh (NFL), Prince Amakamura (NFL), Roy Helu (NFL), Niles Paul (NFL), Matt Slausen (NFL), Lyndon Murtha (NFL?), Joe Ganz, Marlon Lucky, Zach Potter, Ty Steinkuhler, Larry Asante, Ricky Thenarse, Nate Swift

Riley - Nate Gerry NFL), Vince Valentine (NFL), Malik Collins (NFL), Joshua Kalu (NFL), Andy Janovich (NFL), Stanley Morgan (NFL), Tommy Armstrong, Brandon Reilly (NFL?), Pierson-El, Jordon Westerkamp, Josh Banderas, Cethan Carter, Terrell Newby

Frost - Lamar Jackson, Morgan (NFL), Freedom A. (NFL), Young, Mo Barry, Davis twins, JD Spielman, Luke Gifford, Jo Jo Domann, Dismuke, Bootle ...

I offer the disclaimer that perhaps some of the younger players Frost inherited will become great. But doesn’t it seem obvious that, compared to Callahan, Pelini and Riley, Frost inherited by far the least talented roster? And therefore needs and deserves more time and patience so he can restock?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News