ADVERTISEMENT

Philly DB Prescott is N.

Good Lord….how are we fitting all these in??
I think we probably have a lot more NIL walk-ons than people realize. I was critical of our NIL last fall. I was wrong. Rhule is getting very creative in building a huge roster of D-1 kids. I truly believe NIL walk-ons will be our equalizer. 2 huge big recruiting classes in a row while keeping the roster intact is almost unheard of these days.

I think we probably have a lot more NIL walk-ons than people realize. I was critical of our NIL last fall. I was wrong. Rhule is getting very creative in building a huge roster of D-1 kids. I truly believe NIL walk-ons will be our equalizer. 2 huge big recruiting classes in a row while keeping the roster intact is almost unheard of these days.
Does NIL walk on means they pay their own way out of their own NIL money?

I’m a bit dumb on the NIL stuff but….from a business point of view…you want that money to go to kids that will surely contribute, correct? It would seem odd to take a finite resource and apply to a person you don’t envision starting.

Not that I think that’s the case…just making sure I understand NIL strategy and best application.

Reactions: Clemke32
I’m a bit dumb on the NIL stuff but….from a business point of view…you want that money to go to kids that will surely contribute, correct? It would seem odd to take a finite resource and apply to a person you don’t envision starting.

Not that I think that’s the case…just making sure I understand NIL strategy and best application.
Think depth.

Reactions: bigboxes

There appears to be plenty of money right now. If we start winning money won't be an issue in the foreseeable future.

Rhule has taken the strategy of signing huge classes of high school kids. Way beyond what most schools can sign because he is using NIL to straight up pay walk-ons. He will then develop these kids. We are going to have an insane number of upper-classman in a few years.

I have no idea if other teams are doing this but I seriously think we might have at least 110 players on our roster next fall with D-1 offers. Maybe more. It's what I've prayed for, for years. To have a coach who doesn't fill scholarships with random walk-ons just because we have an open spot.

The big boys operate this way. The ones that don't pan out hit the portal. One or two fans will complain because it's so mean to oversign, but the days of letting dead weight take up space should be over. Come in, compete, see who's left standing.
I’ve seen a lot of guys spend 4 years on scholarship, and do next to nothing in game action. Other than maybe backup QB, I would like to see that end.

Reactions: headcard
I’ve seen a lot of guys spend 4 years on scholarship, and do next to nothing in game action. Other than maybe backup QB, I would like to see that end.
Great but doesn't the B1G require that all scholarships be for 4 years and non revocable. There are just causes but playing time isn't one of those. Nebraska is potentially playing with fire. Nice to have the numbers but the numbers also want to play and be coached. Human nature says someone will feel left out, reality says sure enough it will happen.

No lie. You keep crootin for this reason. A few will hit but more will move on. Rinse and repeat.

Great but doesn't the B1G require that all scholarships be for 4 years and non revocable. There are just causes but playing time isn't one of those. Nebraska is potentially playing with fire. Nice to have the numbers but the numbers also want to play and be coached. Human nature says someone will feel left out, reality says sure enough it will happen.
Rhule still has this spring to “cut” players from the previous staff. This is not a big deal by any means. And Nebraska has the entire roster getting some sort of NIL money. One of very few, if not the only school to do so. Big reason why very few are transferring out.

Did he back away from Wisconsin or they from him? And he is coming here without a scholarship but with NIL money? Doesn’t sound like he is a hot commodity with many offers. This one leaves me underwhelmed.

Reactions: Truewooper

Last year the defense played darn near two platoons sometimes. I'm not sure if two or three series a game and special teams will keep a 3* NIL-only guy happy, but at least Rhule will use that NIL resource well for one year. If the guy doesn't pan out or is unhappy, it's a one year deal. Not sure what the vision is for platooning on offense since there wasn't even one healthy platoon last year, but even with the QB and OL static, they will still probably have 18 or so contribute by subbing backs, TEs and WRs.

So I suspect they are using NIL to get guys like Prescott and if it doesn't work out, it isnt a 4 year scholly down the drain.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
There appears to be plenty of money right now. If we start winning money won't be an issue in the foreseeable future.

Rhule has taken the strategy of signing huge classes of high school kids. Way beyond what most schools can sign because he is using NIL to straight up pay walk-ons. He will then develop these kids. We are going to have an insane number of upper-classman in a few years.

I have no idea if other teams are doing this but I seriously think we might have at least 110 players on our roster next fall with D-1 offers. Maybe more. It's what I've prayed for, for years. To have a coach who doesn't fill scholarships with random walk-ons just because we have an open spot.
The limit now is how many roster players you actually can develop and coach. But NIL certainly means you can upgrade the quality of players within whatever Rhule feels that numerical limit is.

Did he back away from Wisconsin or they from him? And he is coming here without a scholarship but with NIL money? Doesn’t sound like he is a hot commodity with many offers. This one leaves me underwhelmed.
He’s coming because of his dad’s relationship with our coach. No risk to us and we’re getting a P5 level player as a walk on.

They do require that.

But players know where they rate, and they know if they are never going to really play. What a coach can do is reiterate that to them, let them know they can/will help them find a better place for them, let them know that they can stay but they have to do all the work and be on scout team, or they can retire from football and stay on scholarship. When you convey that message properly, very few choose to be a tackling dummy for the next 2-3 years.

Or you can do what Frost did. Recruit on the assumption nobody leaves, leaving you consistently under on scholarship players for the season after several do transfer out, leading you to give scholarships to walk-ons. Don’t encourage non-contributors to leave because that just exacerbates the situation.

Reactions: HuskerDana
He’s coming because of his dad’s relationship with our coach. No risk to us and we’re getting a P5 level player as a walk on.
I don’t think he was questioning whether the player should be added to the roster, but instead whether it’s anything to get excited about.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I get that. I do not oppose him joining the team. I hope he turns into an All American. I just don't see how this is a player to get all excited about.

Underwhelmed with a walk-on with multiple P5 offers?
Well that answers one of my questions. When I posted I did not do any research to see what his offer list is like. I just assumed since he was coming as a walk on that the offers must not have been there. I guess I was wrong. Dingle says above that he has connections here which is a big reason why he is coming. So now I am not so underwhelmed! Thanks for bringing me up to speed....

Reactions: huntered
good size. dont know about speed . could be extra lb type.
not familiar with how the country scholly's worked but is this situation similair?
seems smart to take advantage of "nil world" right now before they change the rules.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Well that answers one of my questions. When I posted I did not do any research to see what his offer list is like. I just assumed since he was coming as a walk on that the offers must not have been there. I guess I was wrong. Dingle says above that he has connections here which is a big reason why he is coming. So now I am not so underwhelmed! Thanks for bringing me up to speed....
I don't know what connections the kid from Philly has. The walk-on safety we got from Wisconsin, his dad coached with Rhule at Temple I believe.

So help me understand all of this.

Do we really have a 85 scholarship limit or not?

Who enforces it?

Can you have unlimited NIL benefits including a full scholarship?

So if we can now have NIL scholarships just like in the old days of the county scholarships, what difference does it make? Players have to know with these numbers, the odds of playing are slim. Someone has to ride the pine.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT