ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Rose - RIP

I have relatives in Cincinnati and they say there was a lot of bad reporting on The Relationship between Bench and Rose . They were friends even though JB was outspoken on Pete’s gambling and thought his punishment was warranted.
I listen to Johnny talk about Rose on the Dan Patrick Show. I think Johnny both loved Pete and was mad as hell at him for gambling and his behavior.

IMO Rose would have gotten into the HOF if he had come clean early on and admitted his mistake. Instead he denied it for a decade and a half, and when he finally did admit to gambling on baseball, he did it under the umbrella of his autobiography book which just opened the door to questions as to if he really was sorry or if he was just trying to profit on his book. History has been hard on folks that can't admit a mistake or live the "its not the crime but the cover up" idiom.

IMO Rose would have gotten into the HOF if he had come clean early on and admitted his mistake. Instead he denied it for a decade and a half, and when he finally did admit to gambling on baseball, he did it under the umbrella of his autobiography book which just opened the door to questions as to if he really was sorry or if he was just trying to profit on his book. History has been hard on folks that can't admit a mistake or live the "its not the crime but the cover up" idiom.
Maybe. Had he thrown himself on the mercy of the commissioner and done public service announcements about the dangers of gambling. Hard to imagine him showing that much humility though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT