ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Rose..Ban won't be lifted

Pete Rose is a scum bag who bet on baseball even though he knew it was against the rules. He then lied about it for years and still has not made the kind of total and unconditional public apology his actions call for. He got, and is still getting, exactly what he deserves.

Pete Rose is a scum bag who bet on baseball even though he knew it was against the rules. He then lied about it for years and still has not made the kind of total and unconditional public apology his actions call for. He got, and is still getting, exactly what he deserves.

I equate that to life in front of the firing squad. Little overkill for me.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
He admitted that he is still betting on sports and baseball. I guess Manfred thought that was enough to keep him out. I am quite tired of the discussion. This latest ruling should end it......but it wont.

As a Reds fan I love Pete Rose. He is "Mr. Baseball". He should be in the HOF as a player. No doubt.

However, Pete has had a gambling problem since his earliest days as a player. I've talked to some of the older players that knew him and there are tales of going across the river into Kentucky to place his bets.

I've been a long supporter of the ban. Integrity is a major core value of the game. Cheating (gambling, doping) robs the game of its integrity. So, I'm not sure if Rose's hollow apologies are good enough to sway me, let alone the commissioner.

Still love Pete. He's a lovable mutt.

Totally think the ban should remain in effect. He still bets and is his own worst enemy. If he had come clean years ago he probably would be in the Hall by now. Look at Paul Hornung in the NFL. Pete just doesn't get it. But..........

I did see a funny tweet-- "Pete Rose denied entry into MLB hall of fame. This message brought to you by fan duel and draft kings". But it is MLB's show and they can do what they want.

I would concur with that boxes. Im cool with maintaining the ban, but also putting him in the hall. Just mention in the hall that he was banned for betting on baseball while playing/managing. It would be odd, but fair IMO.

It's not like this was a case of ignorance. The rule is well known by all involved in the sport. When you break the rule, then lie lie lie about it, you aren't going to get sympathy. Well, you will get some, but you shouldn't get it from the ruling body.

A law without teeth and without consistency fails to perform its duty.

I'd say all things considered, Mr. Rose has continued to make some bank on his performance as a player from signings and appearances, so it's not as though he is living in a trailer park (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The ban should remain upheld and that's just the way it is.

Reactions: nwualum
At this point I don't care anymore. I think Pete Rose should be in the hall because there is no one that played harder than him. If you wanted to watch a video on how baseball should be played on the field, it is that guy. It sucks that he can't get it together, but there is no doubt Charlie Hustle is worthy of it on the baseball side. Pete is his own worst enemy and killed himself.

Gheesh. MLB is hard to sympathize with or figure out sometimes.

"What difference at this point does it make"?
Sincerely,
Hillary

Couldn't disagree more. At the end of the day, the only thing professional sports has is the integrity of the competition. Leagues must protect that at all costs.

Rose bet on baseball as a player, manager, and continues to do so today. He lied, admitted it, and continues to lie to everyone he meets. In the realm of sports (excluding murderers, terrorists, rapists, etc.), he is a true POS.

If they won't let Shoeless in what chance does Rose honestly think he has???

0% should be the answer.

Professional sports shout at the top of their lungs every chance they get "IF YOU CAN STILL MAKE PLAYS WE FORGIVE YOU"

Now I'm being told there is more to sports than being able to make plays. Gotta do it the right way. Wha?

I get I am in the minority on this, but I think what someone like say....Greg Hardy did, is worse than what Pete did. Ray Lewis freaking killed a guy, or helped, or watched, whatever, but he was celebrated because he could still make plays. Pete threw down some coin on some games and he's untouchable now? I don't care anymore personally, he's been punished enough for me, but then again I am all for MR getting a few years, and I read aplenty many wanted him fired. We're a weird species us sports fans.

Reactions: leodisflowers
a true POS.

Yeah... no. You're entitled to your opinion, but he's not a scumbag. He's just a compulsive gambler and, like much of us human beings, comes with little flaws, like not wanting to admit we have issues.

As a human being seeing another human being suffering I feel for him. Like many have said, he was the poster child for everything right as a player. He gave 110%.

Off the field, he has his demons. No one one this board is perfect. As for maintaining the integrity of the sport I'd say keep the ban on. But it's awful hard to hate on the dude.

Lots of doper's in the HoF. Hard to say which is worse imo. I consider that cheating and directly impacting the game they played in. I advocate that people be a tad careful of throwing the HoF and integrity together when they are not mutually exclusive of each other. That said, Pete still betting on sports today isn't going help his cause even tho he is still the "hit king" and "charlie hustle"...

GBR

Traditional baseball folks are hilarious. They always compare the big time old school players to players today. Comedians joke about it all of the time, but it's funny that all of these super old school players are celebrated when they never had to play against black players. Also, it's funny to think about a fat out of shape guy would be even single A today (Babe Ruth). If you talk to traditional baseball people though, they will scream that the Babe would be relevant today. It's my opinion, but some of it I find comical.

The true travesty is a player like Dale Murphy has to rely on the Veterans Committee to ever get into the HOF. He didn't take steroids which would of lengthened his career and inflated his numbers. If he did he'd be in already. But he didn't and now he's being punished for being clean.

Also, it's funny to think about a fat out of shape guy would be even single A today (Babe Ruth). If you talk to traditional baseball people though, they will scream that the Babe would be relevant today. It's my opinion, but some of it I find comical.

David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, Pablo Sandoval are fat, they are doing OK. I do agree with you on the level of pitching and only white players these guys saw, but the fat guys having success can be believable with the DH and at 1B. Surely not the norm, but can be done.

I'm for letting the HOF voters decide if he gets in or not. If they are truly qualified to make that decision on everyone else, let them do it for Rose. Same for Joe Jackson, for that matter. That's how they are handling the guys who put up video game numbers during the steroid era.

John Kruk, Tony Gwynn were two really great fat baseball players...that's a topic that likely deserves its own thread. Heck, Bartolo Colon was just pitching in the World Series a few months back...

It happens all of the time where coaches rule the fat kid out before seeing if they can play. There is so much more than stopwatches to most sports (unless it's track...). I've seen plenty of skinny kids that suck at sports but play vs the not as fit kid...

GBR

John Kruk, Tony Gwynn were two really great fat baseball players...that's a topic that likely deserves its own thread. Heck, Bartolo Colon was just pitching in the World Series a few months back...

It happens all of the time where coaches rule the fat kid out before seeing if they can play. There is so much more than stopwatches to most sports (unless it's track...). I've seen plenty of skinny kids that suck at sports but play vs the not as fit kid...

GBR

Kirby Puckett was a bowling ball and one of the most prolific hitters MLB has ever seen....

I was hoping he would be reinstated so I wouldn't have to listen to this incredibly boring topic of why he wasn't in the Hall of Fame from a lazy local/national sports talk radio host. Now this topic will come continue to come up until my time is done on Earth...argh. Winking

'Protecting the integrity of baseball'??? What integrity? Bicycling may be about the only sport with less integrity.
It's a game of cheaters run by cheaters officiated by cheaters. I love baseball, but come on.

David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, Pablo Sandoval are fat, they are doing OK. I do agree with you on the level of pitching and only white players these guys saw, but the fat guys having success can be believable with the DH and at 1B. Surely not the norm, but can be done.

Those three you mentioned are pretty athletic dudes. I agree with you to a point, but all of the old school baseball people act like the Babe is some god that would kill it today. I doubt it.

Rose is a huge failure as a person. He needs to just go away. He is history. Baseball does not need Rose. Rose needs baseball. He lied in his interview with the commissioner in his appeal interview about his current baseball betting. Go away Pete.

'Protecting the integrity of baseball'??? What integrity? Bicycling may be about the only sport with less integrity.
It's a game of cheaters run by cheaters officiated by cheaters. I love baseball, but come on.

No argument from me that cycling is a very dirty sport, but I think you underestimate the amount of athletes who do something in the PED realm in other sports. Basketball and football specifically, I bet the actual percentage of players who take, or have taken something they shouldn't be taking, is astonishing.

He admitted that he is still betting on sports and baseball. I guess Manfred thought that was enough to keep him out. I am quite tired of the discussion. This latest ruling should end it......but it wont.
Well said. He bet, he lied and he lost. The end.

The HOF & being reinstated are two separate things. Pete should be in and all the baggage should be mentioned. Essentially the baseball hall is just a piece of history. Keep him out of baseball, put him in the HOF.

but I think what someone like say....Greg Hardy did, is worse than what Pete did. Ray Lewis freaking killed a guy, or helped, or watched, whatever, but he was celebrated because he could still make plays.
In the eyes of the league, betting on games is far worse than those things because it can take down the entire league. This is the main point to come to grips with, and EVERY league has the same stance.

Don't believe me? Check out the punishments for the two offenses...there's your proof as to what the leagues feel is a bigger deal to the league. Feel free to argue that appropriateness of that fact, but it is a fact. Of all the POS athletes (on a human scale) over the years that did horrible things, no league has been really hurt because of it. Callous as it is, what Greg Hardy did truly affected only a couple people and not the league (lasts I checked, stadiums were still full).

Think of it like Abraham Lincoln in the run up to the civil war. The preservation of the Union was THE most important thing. Even though he was personally against slavery for years, he was quoted as saying (paraphrasing here) that if the Union would survive without slavery, he would want it. If the only way the Union would survive is with slavery, he would allow it. The point was that the Union had to survive.

In the eyes of the league, betting on games is far worse than those things because it can take down the entire league. This is the main point to come to grips with, and EVERY league has the same stance.

Don't believe me? Check out the punishments for the two offenses...there's your proof as to what the leagues feel is a bigger deal to the league. Feel free to argue that appropriateness of that fact, but it is a fact. Of all the POS athletes (on a human scale) over the years that did horrible things, no league has been really hurt because of it. Callous as it is, what Greg Hardy did truly affected only a couple people and not the league (lasts I checked, stadiums were still full).

Think of it like Abraham Lincoln in the run up to the civil war. The preservation of the Union was THE most important thing. Even though he was personally against slavery for years, he was quoted as saying (paraphrasing here) that if the Union would survive without slavery, he would want it. If the only way the Union would survive is with slavery, he would allow it. The point was that the Union had to survive.

This will come out harsher than I mean it to, but.....BARF.

Are we talking about the SAME league that turned a blind eye to, and could be argued they actually encouraged, PED use for years? Talk about affecting the integrity of the game....

This will come out harsher than I mean it to, but.....BARF.

Are we talking about the SAME league that turned a blind eye to, and could be argued they actually encouraged, PED use for years? Talk about affecting the integrity of the game....
No, we are not talking about the NFL

He may not be the most admirable human being out there. That said, when you think baseball, you think Charlie Hustle. Nobody else like him.

It's about the big picture - baseball, not Pete Rose. if they let him back in a dangerous precedent would be set which could ruin the game. And Rose could have bet on all other sports even while he was playing baseball and been fine. What an idiot.

Anyone upset that he is not in the Hall should be angry at Rose himself. He obviously did not give a sh*t about it when he broke the rules.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Yes we are. Thanks for proving my point for me...more proof just how seriously leagues view gambling to the health of their league above basically everything else.

I have some experience with professional athletics and have sat through all of the on-boarding, introduction meetings in which rules, regulations, procedures, what should/shouldn't I do, etc. are discussed at length. You want to know the shortest part of that meeting? Gambling. It lasted about 30 seconds, and I can recite it to you now:

"Gambling...do it, and you're f-ing done. Period. Next topic."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT